main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I was inspired to write a couple of Christmas themed drabbles featuring the Big Three or some variations, but was deterred when I remember that Han was dead. This seems like small potatoes, but none the less a bummer. When it comes to Han and Leia, I'll choose to live in the past. Any advice on overcoming Han's demise?

2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    brodiew - You can always just AU it. You can either write how TFA changes and how Han lives (like he's only wounded, or more of Ben is in control than Kylo and he lets Han go), or if you don't want to do that specifically, you can just say in your notes that it's AU and Han didn't die. Or because we have the Legends alternate universe, you could write in that timeline.
    The beauty of fanfic is that no one is ever permanently dead (or often in my writing, alive). A canon death doesn't really have to be a barrier to a story you want to write.

jcgoble3 and pronker like this.
  3. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Hello mavjade! I never intended to write a TFA era story. I was being partly facetious about Han's death affecting my ability to write OT era story. I just need to get over it and write stories the way I always have. It will be on the way!

pronker and mavjade like this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Is this explanation of a planet understandable? :

a planets where the centrifugal powers make 90% of the water are drown to one side of the world and then moved to the other side in a ten years process. People either live permanently on the few mountains high enough to not be drowned by the water or awashed by tsunamis; as nomads that cultivate the rich soil that the ocean leave after it has moved on for a time and then move before the ocean once again swallow the land; or on ship-cities floating on the back of the ocean never moving to far forward or too far back to be stranded.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Hmm... I do understand it, but it's a bit confusing to me at the start in the wording.
    Maybe say something like:

a planet where the centrifugal power (or force as I've usually seen it?) makes 90% of the water on the world shift from one side of the planet to the other, almost completely covering that side with water. In this ten year process people either live permanently on the few mountains high enough....

That's a really awesome concept! :D

Gamiel and Ewok Poet like this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    It could be a planet utilising the same concept used for the artificial gravity on the Centerpoint Station.

Kahara and Gamiel like this.
  7. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Did the Rebels move their main base from Yavin straight to Hoth, or was there a base or bases in between?

8. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Well in ledgends they were on the run for some time and tried to estsblish several bases at various points in the galaxy before they came to Hoth.

9. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Do we know where any of them were?

10. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    In choices of one they tried to hide in the Candoras sector near the unkown regions. In the Pol system whose governor offered the rebels support.

Raissa Baiard likes this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks, and you are right it is centrifugal force, my mistake.

Can sadly not claim the credit for it, I stole it from WH40k even if my version is not grim-dark, lack the horrible past, have a ecosystem fully adopted to the moving ocean and the people living on it have a mostly good life.

*looks what EP have written* [face_thinking] [face_idea] I am changing the place where my characters are going to meet Anedon 's Athenars. I was originally going to use big moons for the centrifugal force but now I think some kind of ancient artefact with Athenar connections hidden beneath the core is better.

--------------------

I can only suggest asking lit, they usually know this kind of stuff.

Kahara, mavjade and Ewok Poet like this.
  12. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    That's more or less what I had in mind. Can't wait to see what happens.

13. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Gamiel That's a brilliant concept (even if it's not yours) and I think that mav's rephrasing helps. An idea for you: I've been told of a RL species of fish in Sudan and Chad that looks like a normal fish in the rainy season when there's water in the rivers, but coats itself in some sort of jelly and buries itself in the riverbed to survive the dry season when the rivers dry out completely. The friend who told me about it said that, in the dry season, they look like giant amoeba, which isn't very appetizing, but there you go :p Maybe you can adapt this to your new world?

Raissa Baiard There was also a Rebel outpost on Derra IV shortly before the battle of Hoth. I also found these results by typing "Rebel base" in the Wook:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rebel_Base
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rebel_Base_(Garax_Hadriin)
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rebel_Base_(Restuss)
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rebel_Base_(Rori)
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rebel_base_(Cardooine)
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rebel_base_(Circarpous_XIV)

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Beside wookiees, trandoshans, korunnai, and ho'din what species/cultures would find jungle planets very interesting to colonise?

Do we know any species/cultures that would find mountainous planets very interesting to colonise alternative would settle in the mountainous regions of a planet?

Kahara likes this.
  15. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Gamiel That's a great idea for a planet, and has a good ticking-countdown-to-doom which can add tension to your story. The nomadic-moving-with-the-water lifestyle makes practical sense to me, too.

One detail I would challenge is "centrifugal" force. Centrifugal force is created by spinning motion. If you are suggesting the planet spins so fast (or is of such low mass) that this overpowers its gravity, then the water would just spin off into space. Indeed, it would never retain an ocean in the first place.

To move a body of water backwards and forwards like that you need a tidal force. And for that, yes, you need at least one foreign body - either a moon or twin planet - a big one that comes quite close on an elliptical orbit to generate the magnitude of effect you describe.

I know getting the science exactly right is not always so important in Star Wars, but that is a detail which is easily fixed.

As for species - Gungans like wet jungles, as do Rodians. Sullustans are subterranean, so they would be good at tunneling into mountains. I think Ryloth (home of the Twi'leks) is similar, too. Zabraks seem hardy enough to settle anywhere.

Hope that helps!

K

Kahara, pronker and Gamiel like this.
  16. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Gamiel I'll trust Kurisan on the physics of centrifugal vs tidal forces (says the gal who dropped out of physics as soon as the school curriculum allowed because she was so hopeless at it) but for species attracted to jungles may I also suggest Felucians?

Gamiel and Kahara like this.
  17. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Gamiel
    You are using them? Cool! If I should help you with it just ask. :)

Gamiel likes this.
  18. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009

Ithorians, maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kahara likes this.
  19. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    Gamiel Addendum:

Kerkoidians and Dugs look OK in jungles.

Iktotchi seem OK in mountains (nice species for a cult, too).
    My clone wars book says Kaleesh come from a "harsh" world and have good night-vision, which might indicate underground (or inner-mountain) dwelling.

I was also going to say Ithorians. And erm, ahem, Ewoks?

Gamiel and Kahara like this.
  20. Venator77

Venator77 Jedi Master star 2

May 2, 2013
    I have been doing some planning on my story [removed] which is going to involve a "Great patriotic War" in the future, so I'm in two minds on what to use for spacecraft. I'm planning to have the communist faction make it's own weapons and I can't decide whether to use German prototypes or RL Russian aircraft (all modified for space). On one hand, using the German prototypes will provide and interesting mental picture of planned space battles and what the Luftwaffe were flying when my OC left Earth. But on the other hand, I know a lot more about the Russian jets in real life as there is info available in its most complete form.

So what do I use? German prototypes or real Russian aircraft?

Mav Edit: Story name removed as it doesn't really pertain to the question.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  21. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    Venator88 It depends where the pilots come from. The name Cosmonaut suggests Russian. If you're thinking East German, go with the prototypes. Or if you are saying the "communists" are using different vehicles to the Cosmonaut of the title, switch it round.

But this answer is qualified by not having too much info, especially on what - to you - the merits/demerits of each choice actually are. :confused:

Ewok Poet likes this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    *puts her last generation of Pioneer caps on - not joking here, I was old enough to receive it, but had I gone to school at time as opposed to one year earlier, I would not have*

If doing Yugo-style communism - which is not like the "real" deal that USSR and the Easter Bloc had, you have to protect yourself against two different sides, like Tito did and align yourself with whoever are the losers and the downthrodden. Play a neutral chessmaster. And never limit your people too much. Also, form a youth organisation which is obligatory, anyway. :)

As far as the spacecrafts go, you need to have a ridiculously cheap thing that breaks all the time and nobody really likes it...hehe, WHOOPS.

Kurisan likes this.
  23. Venator77

May 2, 2013
    Kurisan The pilots aren't the issue. They will be either droids or organic pilots depending on how the story progresses. The issue is whether to use German designs that would have existed in the alt-history Earth or the Russian designs we have in real life (meaning we have complete info) that may not exist in the alt-history Earth.

Ewok Poet I already know how I'm taking communism in the GFFA and how the politics will go in this story. The only issue is whether to use German designs that would have existed in the alt-history Earth or the Russian designs we love today (which would never have been built in fascist-controlled Earth).

Ewok Poet likes this.
  24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Tell me more about these German designs. I'm intrigued.

25. Venator77

May 2, 2013
    www.luft46.com is a website dedicated to experimental German aircraft designs. There are a few that look like they fit in the GFFA.