main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Rogue One [Non Spoiler] Reactions and Reviews

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Justrec, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Justrec

Justrec Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 13, 2014
    We did this for the force awakens, why not get a thread going to post reactions and reviews that don't spoil anything, or even semi spoil anything... Like, if they start to go into what shoe size a character in the film wears, don't post it.

Gogogogo!

2. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    Yep, keen on this thread. Spoilers Allowed is getting too spoilery (I don't know what I expected) and the review embargo is starving me of news

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  3. Justrec

Jun 13, 2014
  4. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I won't post what Kevin Smith said about it, because it has what some might consider spoilers (I thought they were pretty minor,) but he was pretty excited by what he saw. George Lucas apparently had a similar reaction.

5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I read on another website that Wil Wheaton thought it was the best SW movie ever, and darker than ESB.

6. Justrec

Jun 13, 2014
    That's what I was hoping

7. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    This is great to hear. I've definitely been imagining Rogue One as a dark, gritty war film.

I'm not sure whether it's good that Lucas likes it better than TFA... but otherwise, most of the advanced buzz sounds very positive.

8. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001

I don't want to pull the thread off-track too much, but I wonder if the reshoots were done because the film was originally too dark ... ? :confused:

9. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    That was the word on the street a while ago when the news of the re-shoots broke.

10. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    I think George will be more receptive to the stand alone films just because they'll be different and take more risks. He's always been one for pushing the envelope (even when some fans didn't appreciate it).

11. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Yeah, I totally agree.

12. Justrec

Jun 13, 2014
    I believe it is the case, eventhough the film is still really good, and darker than any other star wars film according to reactions, I still believe it was supposed to be even more dark.

Dark Lady Mara and B99 like this.
  13. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Well all the early reviews say its very dark, and Pablo on twitter said u might want to watch it your self first before taking your kids. (9/10 years old) But who knows. They could be paid to say it. lol

14. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001

i have to say that i take that with a grain of salt. Its Star Wars, so it never gets completely gloomy. Moreover, it is rated PG-13 so ...

Anyway, rottentomatoes.com has a fresh rating of 84% positive, of a sample size of 141 reviews.

Jedi Daniel and B99 like this.
  15. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    46 reviews at MetaCritic.com with a 65/100 so far

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Reviews I've seen said the same about taking young children - it might be too intense for them.

17. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    I just saw the movie. Here's my very quick no-spoiler reaction, but I'll use the spoiler tags anyway.

In short, I really liked it. It exceeded my expectations in a lot of ways and didn't really disappoint me in any other way. It's definitely bold, beautiful and carries a lot of heart. The cast does its job brilliantly and the story makes sense.

On how dark it is (just a comparison with previous movies, don't read if you don't want to have any specific expectations in this regard.):

Overall it might be the darkest SW movie to date. Maybe it's on the level of Episode III or even slightly above, though there are certainly much more laughs and nothing on the intense level of the immolation scene.

18. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Darker/on par with ROTS? GET OUT OF HERE BRO!

19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, my non-spoiler reaction:

Wow!

Just...

Wow.

20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Just know anyone who sees it before me gets banned! :p

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Hey!

I mean... sounds reasonable... I totally didn't see it earlier tonight... *cough*

CowMoo and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  22. Wally44

Wally44 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005
    Careful of the AV Club review. I thought it'd be more general and hit a spoiler pretty quick.

23. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    What time u seeing it? And timezone?

24. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    For those who have seen it. Can I ask 2 questions that I am worrying about.. TCF-1138 :p
    1. How is Vader's voice?? Spot on?
    2. How is the music?

25. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    I could tell that it's ever so slightly different, but the difference is so small that it doesn't distract. If Episode III Vader voice was 95% Episode IV Vader, then I'd give this about a 90%. But I'd have to hear it again to be completely sure. Theater sound can be much different to what I'm used to from home.

It's good. I would have to watch the movie at least one more time to give a more thorough assessment, but the themes mix well and the score certainly has a certain power to it. As a big music fan, I wasn't disappointed at all.