main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks, I had confused centrifugal force and tidal force, will fix that.

The WH40k planet I stole the idea from had a really big moon that was also nearer then ours.

Thanks for the suggestions :)
    I don't think gungans could work since they (as a group) seems to only keep to Naboo but rodians absolutely fit; the type of colonise sullustans would make is not the kind I am after right now, Twi'leks do fits for mountains and fit rather well with my idea for the planet.

Zabraks are already on my list.

Thanks for the suggestions *looks up felucians* do fit the jungles I have planets, to bad they seems to lack space faring capability.
    Maybe ;)

Thanks for the suggestions :)
    Have never heard of kerkoidens but they seems interesting and dugs could work; need to look up iktotchi and kaleesh but they could work. Ewoks have the same problem as felucians, they lack the technology needed to colonise other worlds.

Chyntuck likes this.
  2. Venator77

Venator77 Jedi Master star 2

May 2, 2013
    Ewok Poet and Kurisan

I've decided. I did not get a clear answer from you two, so I flipped a coin. I'm going through with the German prototypes.

Thanks for the input though.

3. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Venator88 Ah, that's a shame because in my deeply considered and expert opinion I was going to say... do the red ones (they go faster). Only joking, I am not really qualified to give any advice on this topic.

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What is an area a moff control called? Moffric? Moffdom? something else?

5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    A sector, n'est-ce pas? :p

Kahara, Ewok Poet and Raissa Baiard like this.
  6. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Gamiel, Tarsier, Chyntuck and 3 others like this.
  7. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
  8. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I got a plot bunny from that. Thanks. :D

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But what if the area the moff control is smaller or larger then a sector?

10. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Moffdom sounds right to me...

Kahara and Gamiel like this.
  11. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

But when would that be the case? The Wook entry on moffs specifically defines them as being sector governors—the very first sentence is, "Moff was a rank held by sector governors of the First Galactic Empire." (Under the Legends tab it does say that the title of "moff" was used by the governors of the Allied Regions in the Pre-Republic era, and that the areas they controlled didn't necessarily correspond to sectors, but in the era of the Empire it pretty much just means someone whom the Empire has put in charge of a sector.)

Kahara, Gamiel and Ewok Poet like this.
  12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    When the Empire has fallen and the moff carve out his own territory [face_devil]

Also I don't really see any problem with there being a term for the area a moff controls, even if it always confirm with a sector.

13. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Well, there's technically no problem with it, but if the territory always conforms to a sector, it seems neither necessary nor useful to have an extra term, oder?

Maybe it would help for me to know a little more about what you're planning with this information, about the context surrounding it. :)

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  14. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    During the Empire, a moff's territory is always a sector. Some sectors are bigger than others, but since each holds hundreds of star systems, no-one complains.

A Grand Moff may be in charge of several sectors.

Grand Moff Tarkin can basically decide where his OverSector is on any given day. This allows him to pursue Rebels without stopping to get entry permission from other moffs.

Kahara, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  15. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Two questions:

1. How would one go about joining the Rebellion? Assuming you had some sort of contact, and you didn't have your own ship, how would you get to the Rebel base?

2. How widely was Luke's ability in the Force known? Besides Han, Chewie, and Leia, did people know he used the Force to destroy the Death Star, or did they just assume he was a hot-shot pilot?

16. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    1. If you did not have a ship, I expect you would have to conduct your own anti-Imperial activities on whatever planet you were. If other Rebels or insurgents trusted that you were not ISB, maybe you could become part of a cell.

Your contact might be able to arrange transport, but it could be a trap.

My OCs tend to acquire vessels.

2. If anyone had a go at Luke after the Battle of Yavin for turning his targetting computer off and risking everyone, maybe he told them about the Force. I cannot really see why Luke would keep it a secret though, although if he had any brains, maybe not mention hearing Ben's voice in his head, around other pilots.

17. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    Gamiel Yeh, as others have said, it's called a sector. But you can think of a sector as a general term as Sith-I-5 says, they vary in size, and can encompass just a few worlds, or many hundreds. Think of them as fiefdoms, or countries, granted to a lord or other noble by an Emperor or King: The size and scope of each "sector" depends on just how powerful/influential the Moff is - and I'm sure there would be a complicated heirarchy between each Moff as they compare the size and importance of their sectors. One Moff may do some back-stabbing and double dealing in order to take control of another Moff's territory, but all together his/her area of control would still be called a sector, no matter how large.

Kahara and Sith-I-5 like this.
  18. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    And now I have a question! :eek: This is one for the ladies...

Wookieepedia and all my source books have failed me. I'm talking about Leia's golden bikini. =P~

I want to introduce the same piece of clothing (well, 2 pieces) in a story. What should I call it? "Bikini" is a very Earth-y term to me (named after the Pacific islands, no?). Is there a more generic name for this piece of clothing? I can qualify it with something like, "She wore a midnight-blue dancer's (or acrobat's) NAME."

"Leotard" is more of a single piece clothing, to me.

Thanks for your help!

K

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Regarding my moff territory question, I am planning to use it to describe the territory in a sector still controlled by the moff after the Empire has fallen. Right now I am lining toward muffate.

1. you join a cell were you live or is given help getting to the Rebel base.

2. at what time are we talking?

Maybe "a reviling huttes slave outfit"? Since it has been seen used by other women near hutts.

20. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Well it's an item in KOTOR 2 and just called slave outfit. So you could call it "(two pieced) revealing slave dancer outfit" I would leave the hutt part that Gamiel suggested out as most Hutts don't give much on humanoid beings and Jabba was considered excentric for it.

21. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005

On #1. Other than just being thrust into it like Luke, or being born into it like Leia, a lot of it probably had to do with actual clandestine meetings organized by the Alliance itself. Some of them were important enough of leaders like Mon Mothma to personally attend and lecture.

Kahara likes this.
  22. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I literally asked the same question a couple months back, and if you want to use my fanon, I came up with a "jayteep", which is short for a jungle two-piece - the name is still used, regardless of if the items are animal skin; metal and silk, like Leia's; or modern synthetic fabrics.

23. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    Gamiel and Anedon Hmmm, I see what you mean, but at the time she buys the outfit she is not intending to become a slave. It's supposed to be a dancer's or acrobat's garb. Sorry, I should have said that before. I suppose I could say it resembles a slave outfit. I might even have another character comment to that effect (gives the reader the right picture, and gives a clever hint to what's coming! Aha.:cool:)

Sith-I-5 That's a good word. You made it up? @All Would the average reader recognise that term here?

Thanks for the ideas. Keep 'em coming!

K

EDIT: To help, I'm looking for one word or two that describes the clothing emphatically and immediately for the reader, but avoiding the place name "bikini" on Earth. I looked at it on Wikipedia and they call it two-piece swimwear or beachwear - again not quite right as she's not going swimming. There was a French variant called "Adone", but I don't think anyone will recognise that without looking it up, which I wish to avoid. Slip, shift, etc are not quite right.

EDIT EDIT: I am prepared to go with "bikini" if necessary.

24. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I made it up. For one of my post-TFA fics.

25. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Kurisan
    Probably not,I googled it to check but got no clear results. You could use the word though, if you have the character comment that it looks like a slave dancer outfit.