main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Deleted/Missing Scenes Thread!

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Avnar, Dec 15, 2016.

1. PongKrell

PongKrell Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 17, 2016
    This shot from that link was definitely in the film, so I guess there were some shots of stormtroopers in the water too. (In the cliffnotes thread, I said I couldn't remember them being in it)

[​IMG]

2. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    With the new shot - I thought it was more subtle :cool:

Gigoran Monk and Ricardo Funes like this.
  3. DV-213

DV-213 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 18, 2014
    On the official posters there are many stormtrooper walking in knee high water. Was that ever seen?

4. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Not that I recall...

And whatever happened to the "Stormtroopers riding cgi enhanced camels" scene? ...damn.

5. Italian Ackbar

Italian Ackbar Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2015
    [​IMG]

I didn't see him in the movie.

6. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    I was actually hoping that they will not kiss.. holding their hands in final moment was the best option.. kiss would be too cheesy..

7. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    (Not to diss AOTC) but it seems they are afraid of romance in the galaxy far far away now after some of the backlash. None in TFA and none in RO. Oh well!

8. Chris_Fives

Apr 16, 2015
    Yep, I agree.. I mean I like prequels and it wasn't bothering me that much but here it will feel out of place for me..

And back on the subject, I am now catching up on all the tv spots and it is so weird that few days before the actual release date they still use scenes that doesn't exist in the movie - running with DS plans on Scarif for example... I mean I'm fine with that in the teaser that was released 8 months earlier, but now? After the final edit etc? That is a bit messy...

GunganSlayer likes this.
  9. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    more than messy I think it's lazy....

GunganSlayer and Chris_Fives like this.
  10. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Agreed... I became (and so did a lot of you guys also I assume) attached to certain scenes from the trailers only to find not only were they not there BUT they were completely different scenarios altogether [face_dunno]

I wonder if they could go the "Lord of the Rings" scenario with an extended cut...? But even then, the way some of the scenes play out I can't even fit them into the current film because it has changed so much. Eg - Cassian and Jyn running along the beach with the stolen tape...how would that work?? And it always appeared as if Krennic arrived after the battle (The scene where he is walking through the water with white cape dragging that was cut)

Oh well... Great film anyway!!

Chris_Fives likes this.
  11. Chris_Fives

Apr 16, 2015
    Exactly.. I think we will never see it as an official deleted scene etc..It looks like they really have different ending in mind.. maybe in next 10 years at one of the Celebrations they will reveal some information what and why was actually changed..

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  12. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I don't think we'll ever see an "extended cut" (directors cut or any other cut for that matter). I just don't know if you do those for SW. The precident was set by one guy who either got everything he wanted or went back until he got what he wanted. Maybe you could call that an extended cut?

I think the other side of it is "extended cuts" carry a certain perception that disney LFL in general want to avoid. Maybe a couple years down the road they do revisit it as a "special edition," but I really don't think we see it any extended cut.
    Who knows. With Edwards talking about it a bit more now, I think we might actually hear the story at some point.

I also think its going to be a lot closer to the original narrative than they really want to admit and part of the problem might have been that they didn't really have another ending in mind. Sounds like Edwards just shot a loooooot of stuff that didn't necessarily go A-->B-->C. It just went (and went and went), so you've got all these great toy box shots that were good enough to send through ILM and all this other stuff, but when it came time to actually put them in a movie you had 20 shots to go between A and C but all you need is B.

Toddy likes this.
  13. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I honestly think the "Vader massacre" was something tacked on and that it was him originally confronting Jyn in the tie fighter at the top of that tower :cool:

14. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    My guess is that they reconfigured the set-up. At the start, I bet it went from Lah'mu to to Prison break to Yavin where Jyn and us meet Cassian for the first time. I think they reworked a much simpler "we intercepted a transmission from your father" to all the convolution with Bodhi and Galen. That's why it was so choppy in the first act imo.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  15. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    First trailer:

0:00 - The first scene from the first Rogue One teaser is not in the movie. In the version that went to theaters, Jyn is seen already crossing the base (the next scene of the teaser).
    00:05 - General Draven's reading of Jyn Erso's criminal record did not go into the movie either. 0:18 - Mon Mothma's description - "Alone for 15 years, reckless, aggressive and undisciplined" - also not in the feature that hit theaters
    0:29 - One of Jyn's most striking phrases during the spreading - "This is a rebellion, is not it? I rebel "- was cut from the film.
    0:50 - The "Yes, sir" character's irony has also been cut.
    1:02 - In the film, the young Saw Gerrera appears only in two brief moments, making this one more scene deleted.
    1:03 to 01:15 - Saw Gerrera's speech was eliminated - "What will you do when they capture you? What will you do when you're tortured? If you continue to fight, what will you become? "
    1:12 - Director Orson Krennic's walk through the post-battle waters of Scarif was also cut off.
    1:19 - At no point in the movie Jyn and Cassian participate in the direct confrontation in Scarif.

16. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Hey man - Good call on some of my concerns! I honestly don't think I even saw Biggs or Porkins - But was ABSOLUTELY stoked to see Red Leader and Gold Leader :cool:

Since you have a great grasp on this film would you be able to explain to a poor soul (me) who was there with 10 mates going nuts - Who was the guy that Cassian shot in the back and why??

vncredleader likes this.
  17. Diego Lucas

Dec 12, 2015
    SW Celebration video:

0:04 - Jyn and Cassian appear again in the conflict in Scarif.
    0:14 - This peaceful moment of Chirrut Îmwe in the midst of the remains of the battle is not in the version that went to theaters
    1:22 - In the final version of the film, Jyn does not carry the archive with the Death Star plans and does not participate in the direct conflict in Scarif.
    1:38 - Another moment of Cassian that has not hit theaters.
    2:12 - In the final version, Krennic does not participate in the direct conflict in Scarif as seen in this behind-the-scenes scene.
    2:26 - The stretch of the rebels running in Scarif did not hit theaters.

vncredleader and Ricardo Funes like this.
  18. Diego Lucas

Dec 12, 2015
    August trailer

00:18 - "Are you reliable without the shackles?" Asks General Draven on the scene that has not hit theaters either.
    00:39 - The friendly moment between Jyn and Cassian did not hit theaters.
    00:46 - At no point in the finale Cassian says "I've been recruiting for the Rebellion for a long time."
    00:47 - "You destroyed our home!" Said Baze Malbus did not hit theaters, as did his "I fight the Empire now".
    1:00 - "The captain says you're friends. I will not kill her "- Jyn and K2SO's first encounter is quite different in the movie version.
    1:24 - "The chance of failure is 97.6%," K2SO says in another cut scene from the film.
    1:36 - "This is our chance to make a difference," says Jyn in another deleted scene.
    1:44 - Jyn's encounter with a TIE fighter was also cut off.
    1:56 - In the film, Darth Vader is not seen in front of this screen with what appears to be the plans of the Death Star.

vncredleader and Ricardo Funes like this.
  19. Diego Lucas

Dec 12, 2015
    The latest official trailer, released in October, is the only one that actually features scenes that ended in theaters, revealing the time it took to "set the tone" for the film.

xezene and Ricardo Funes like this.
  20. Iamnoone

Iamnoone Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 23, 2015
    I agree with a few points here.

I think they reworked a lot of the Jyn story as she came accross too arrogant in the trailers. At no point in the trailers did I feel empathy for her, yet you very much do in the end scene.

I also agree the Vader massacre was a reshoot, i'd be surprised to learn it wasn't. I wonder if originally Vader was just a background cameo with a few lines and the powers that be got wind of people expecting Vader on the battlefield and got scared of limited Vader time.

Diego Lucas, Ricardo Funes and Avnar like this.
  21. Darth Camp

Darth Camp Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    The film went through pretty extensive reshots. I felt it showed in the finished product. It certainly shows when you go back to these trailers and see how much is missing from the movie.

xezene likes this.
  22. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I think you could play that game all day with every scene and still only get to half the truth.

Until/if we ever get anything on what could have been anything else is a complete guess.

23. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Yeah....true.

24. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    In Chirrut's first fight scene, there's a crashed X Wing in the background. That must have been significant at one time. I feel like it must have been part of the story.

25. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I would pay if Disney releases an alternative version of Rogue One, just for curiosity.

It seems that nothing really major changed, but a lot of small details like character introductions, some action scenes, and so on.

Regarding the plot I think that the major change was that instead of intercepting a transmission of the Death Star first test, they had the pilot being the messenger.

11-4D and GregMcP like this.