main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Deleted/Missing Scenes Thread!

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Avnar, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Pondscum

Pondscum Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 10, 2014

I really think the "prepare a boarding party" line was originally Vader's last line and in reference to the Tantive IV. But then someone decided wouldn't it be cool if he boarded a different ship, killed a load of people and then had to prepare to board the Tantive.

smudger9, GunganSlayer, 11-4D and 5 others like this.
  2. Noir Deux

Noir Deux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    Yep, there were a lot of scenes that I was waiting to see that never appeared, mostly:

-Jyn's 'I rebel' phrase
    -Krennic walking on the beach
    -Jyn in front of the Tie Fighter

And maybe it was only promotional pictures but they released a few pictures of stormtroopers on the beach with a very cloudy/dark sky and there was none.

It was clear that the Jedha and Scariff acts went thru a lot of changes and modifications.

One thing that I never understood was that why Saw was shaved/bald when he rescued little Jyn but he was rocking and Afro later...

3. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    What's there to understand? He had a shaved head when he was younger, and then he grew an afro when he was older.

Story-wise, I thought it was meant to show that he had begun to go crazy.

The shot in the film is better. I always felt this was too cartoonish.

4. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
  5. Noir Deux

Noir Deux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    [​IMG]

Well it was weird, I thought that Whitaker was miscast as Saw tbh.

GunganSlayer, 11-4D and WatTamborWoo like this.
  6. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I get the feeling the Escape with the Plans was originally much more involved. Out thru the London subways station, along the beach dodging AT-ACTs, to a remote satellite dish.

But, like the Starkiller snow chase scenes in TFA, they decided to dump it all. Do that odd climb up the memory banks to the roof of the tower. Trim and simplify the story.

I can understand that might make the story flow better, but damn it's something I want to see.

7. Dreamer_Sith

Dreamer_Sith Jedi Knight

Dec 9, 2010

I actually feel like the TIE Fighter thing was just for the trailer. The shots leading up to it are there in the film, but she's going towards the dish controls, and that TIE Striker does attack her a couple moments later.

8. stakex

stakex Jedi Master

May 31, 2005
    Who knows if it was for better or worse, but the final battle definitely changed a lot. We're not talking a few deleted scenes but a complete re-write. The scene of Jyn and other rebels running at the walkers clearly shows her carrying the DS plans and scenes were shot (and shown) of Jyn and Cassian fighting on the beach. In the release version they never leave the tower with the plans... so some major changes were made to the final battle. The other evidence for this is that Krennic never appears on the beach in the released version, while doing so in the trailers.

Would be interesting to know how the end played out originally.

whostheBossk, xezene and GunganSlayer like this.
  9. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    The "I Rebel" scene was so blatantly missing that through most of the movie I actually thought Jyn was going to survive and that this would be the line she delivers as her explanation/justification for doing it when asked by Mon Mothma.

10. Dreamer_Sith

Dreamer_Sith Jedi Knight

Dec 9, 2010

I'm not sure I'd say miscast as the character was fine...but they barely defined him as the character he was. I know there's only so much time, but most people will say you shouldn't need the supplemental material to really figure out what's happening in a film. Here he wasn't "Saw Guerra, hero of the Rebels of Onderon." He wasn't "Saw Gerrera, brother to Rebel hero Steela Gerrera." He was just "Saw Gerrera...that guy who saved Jyn and then helped her out for a minute later."

Unless they plan to really flesh him out in other media, it just seems like it was a shout out to the overall SW canon to use Saw here. If it'd been anyone else, I don't think we'd feel he was miscast for the role, because it'd have been a new character. I will say, maybe he's also not quite the same since he's clearly lost a lot, including a lot of his own body, but I still can't completely justify it. Being as I thought very highly of the film, this is probably one of the few things that did bug me when it was over.

vncredleader likes this.
  11. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    *It was said in leaks that the biggest change, outside of the the final 15-20 minutes, was the massive shift in Bodhi (sp)'s character. He was given a whole new backstory, new scenes, and made integral to the plot. He was turned from a comma guy or generic commando to a plot device.

*The original workprint or cut would be fascinating to see, and probably not as bad as Disney execs thought. We need to get our hands on a Day 1 shooting script.

* I bet we had the Jyn Cassian Krennic show down on the beach, not the tower, originally.

12. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I'm glad Bohdi got a bit more. Rogue One's Poe Dameron.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  13. Samayel_

Samayel_ Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2012
    This one
    [​IMG]

14. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Out of all the SW films so far I think Rogue One is going to be the one that gets a lot of attention from fans in terms of wanting to see what the original cut was like. Clearly there were some big differences to what we finally saw. However I thought what we got was excellent, so it looks like the negativity of the reshoots has blown over to be replaced by curiosity.

15. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    If they copped out and had them all live or whatever, I'd be more upset. But they didn't do that.

JediLight, 11-4D and AndyLGR like this.
  16. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Yeah, I mean I like the final product (although first and 2nd act were a bit messy at times) but I would like to read how they have planned it at the beginning...what was so wrong that they have to change all of it in the end...

17. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    He was a lot more than that though. It was what he (and his band) had become that was a crucial plot point.

18. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    Did the shot of Jyn in the Imperial outfit in the dark tunnel with the strip lights that was at the end of one of the teasers make it to the film? I don't recall it.

19. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    It did not. The location did. That is the door leading to the room the plans are in.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  20. Iamnoone

Iamnoone Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 23, 2015
    One things for sure, I'll learn not to get attached to any scenes in the trailers for Ep VIII

21. Darth Trepid

Darth Trepid Jedi Knight

Apr 29, 2014
    I was convinced leading up to the release that this is how Krennic would meet his end

22. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    I don't remember the tunnel to the plans being that dark. I'll see on my second viewing though.

23. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    What happened to this potentially memorable scene? Did it get deleted from the final cut for deviating a bit too much from the story?

Such a waste, that would have been a great face-off between Jyn and that TIE Fighter!
    [​IMG]

Sent from MillenniumFalcon.exe using Tapatalk

Darth Zitious likes this.
  24. Darth Zitious

Darth Zitious Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 2, 2016
    I was disappointed they didn't have Jyn go face to face with that tie fighter, I was waiting for it as she tried to limp to change the satellites position.

Edit: Ya beat me to it Millennium Falcon!

25. choccy

choccy Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 18, 2004