main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Official "List Your Complaints about Rogue One" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by BretHart, Dec 15, 2016.

1. BretHart

BretHart Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 29, 2015
    -4 Minutes of Vader

-Act I was not that great....Although I enjoyed Act III the most.

I have to digest what I just saw and will come back to this thread.......

Moriarte, oncafar and JediMatteus like this.
  2. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    my only complaint about RO is that I haven't seen it yet.:p

3. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    The title font. Really really bad.

4. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Haven't seen the movie yet (will do so later today) but I've seen complaints about Tarkin's appearance in Rogue One, from some online reviews... The great man supposedly looks kind of fake due to use of CGI, if that's what the critics want us to believe!

5. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Okay... it did a bit of what bugged me about the end of Sith.
    The equivalent of "Into exile, I must go". Over explaining the setup for the next movie.

Things like Bail saying that he has to go to Alderaan.... I can't quote or lay out examples yet, but the movie did too much over explaining...

6. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I think some of the characters deserved better deaths.
    A lot were just taken down by explosions.
    But hey, that's a nitpick I guess.

11-4D and Shamear like this.
  7. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Yeah there was a bit of that but unlike Yoda it did at least feel rather more logoical rather than things happening just because they needed to in order to setup the OT. The basic plot as well for me actually felt like it helped rather than hindered the OT making the flaw in the DS less about imperial incompetence and indeed giving the Rebels much more reason to value the DS plans in the first place.

I'd tend to echo Bret that after the opening scenes the first act did feel a bit light to me with older Jyn reintroduced and taken to Rebel HQ rather too quickly. Indeed I think Jyn's relationship with her father was a bit lacking in depth after the opening making the hologram and then meeting him seem like reaching for drama that hadn't quite been earnt. I wouldn't give definitive judgement on that from one viewing though and perhaps I'll pick up on it a bit more second time around?

Again I'd reserve judgement on it as sometimes dialog does feel a bit cheesier first time I hear it than afterwards but some of the monologs did feel rather too on the nose as I felt they might from the trailer. Some of the lines weren't actually that bad when seen in context(and luckily no "I rebel" that I hated) but some did seem like they were reaching and whilst Felicity Jones was fine for the most part I really didn't feel like she had the gravitas to deliver some of those monologs.

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  8. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    CGI effects

Somewhat hokey death scene for Galen

No kiss between Jyn and Cassian

That's pretty much it.

Halle Dray and 11-4D like this.
  9. Master_Fwiffo

Master_Fwiffo Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2001
    I HAVE BUT ONE COMPLAINT.

And it is almost the exact same problem I had with Episode 7. We again get diverse crowds of aliens, but other than a few previously established characters, every one of the aliens on screen is an entirely new creature. I mean, would it have killed them to throw a Twilek, Wookie, Rodian or Dug walking on the street or milling in the background? Because this has been a problem in two SW films now, I'm beginning to feel like it's some sort of misguided directive from on high. I want to see a Trandoshan or Gand or just SOMETHING. The Star Wars galaxy is big enough for plenty of new creatures, but throw us old fans a bone here! We get all sorts of great vehicle references but would it kill them to get us some old aliens?

10. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    - Lack of an opening crawl that was obviously cut out awkwardly. A crawl would have really helped us get to know all the new characters better, which leads to the next point

- The entire first act seemed to try to introduce us to so many characters that it felt both crammed in and slow at the same time

- Michael Giachinno did a fabulous job with the score overall, but there were a few moments where the music just didn't quite feel like Star Wars to me and just seemed a tad bit off. The weird title screen with the not quite the Star Wars theme is probably the biggest culprit

- No Sheev Palpatine seemed like a missed opportunity.

That's it for me. Loved the movie!

11. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    There was a Twi'lek. And I'm sure there were other familiar species but I'm going to have to rewatch.

Dewback likes this.
  12. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016

There was a Twi'lek in Saw's gang (Beezer Fortuna):

[​IMG]

Plus, we also got new Mon Cals, with Admiral Raddus and his fair-skinned crew.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, this "problem" you speak of doesn't seem to be one...

13. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    There was also a female Twi'lek in the background of the trade station and a hologram of a twi'lek dancer, so there were quite a few twi'leks sprinkled throughout.

14. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    The font on the title looked so very bad.

15. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    I don't have too many complaints. CGI Tarkin didn't quite work. A couple of unnecessary nostalgic callbacks. Overall, I really enjoyed the film.

16. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    Would have liked to see more Vader but I think that's just a small nitpick of mine. Also feel like it took a while for the film to get going but once it did oh man!!!

Cain909 likes this.
  17. IKilledSifo-Dyas

IKilledSifo-Dyas Jedi Master star 2

Aug 6, 2003
    Just got back a little while ago from the first showing. Loved it, but................;)

- Opening (No crawl, "Rogue One" font looked pretty bad, plus it not appearing until after the opening scene)

- The onscreen text telling us every time we were at a new planet/location (this felt very Star Trek. SW doesn't do that :rolleyes:)

- CGI Tarkin

- Music was hit & miss

- ILM seemingly going out of their way to make the ships in space look like they were not CGI, that they made them look like plastic models instead. This complaint is mainly directed at the look of the Star Destroyers. They looked very unconvincing in a lot of the shots. I'm sure they were trying to match the look of them from the OT (especially ANH), but they really overdid it IMHO. Just make them look like giant ships in space, which ironically, the ones in the OT usually did.

18. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I think we are at a point/age where CHANGE must be made, to reflect the 21st century movie making... unless it's surely a sign of decline of quality, it just DOESN'T matter at all to me anymore. I welcome these changes! Changes like onscreen text, and CGI characters are actually IMO FOR THE BETTER!!!

And regarding the 'Rogue one' font, it's fine, since the font used in "Stranger Things" isn't actually that far better.

Crawl... don't think it really matters as a standalone movie. A crawl will kinda ruin things if somehow in future they decide to make another movie between ROTS and RO, and it doesn't align with RO's crawl.

These are nitpicks. These are NOT decline of quality!

ThinPaperWings, S73 and weezer like this.
  19. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    The blind dude walking through a hail of blaster fire just by repeating his mantra about the force and walking right up to the communication switch to flip it on. I can buy the whole Daredevil-esque heightening of his other senses to achieve this hyper awareness of what's going on around him. But that scene had me literally asking to myself "really?", and was kind of an insult to the significance of the guys around him who died while also trying to reach the switch.

What exactly is the nature of his relationship with the Force that allowed him to do that? I mean, is he or isn't he? If he is, great, makes sense. If he's not, what then allowed him to tap in to the Force like that?

Riven_JTAC and JediMatteus like this.
  20. Dreamer_Sith

Dreamer_Sith Jedi Knight

Dec 9, 2010
    -Saw Gerrera not really needing to be Saw Gerrera. I like they are aren't afraid to draw from other media. I love TCW. However, as an established character they at least made some kind of deal out of appearing, he wasn't really integral as that character. I thought Whitaker did a fine job, but he felt like he could've been anyone.

-Title Font

S73, cwustudent and Luke'sSeveredHand like this.
  21. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    So, "several transmissions were beamed to this ship by rebel spies"....or they were handed off to the ship?

"I just hope when the data analyzed a weakness can be found"...but the weakness was built in and it seemed like common knowledge, or not?

I do get the sense that the film was reshot and reconfigured. At one point Jyn was running across the beach with the stolen data tapes in hand, heading for that tower, but it changed, so I'm guessing the gantry scenes were a pickup.

Best line was from Chirrut: "Are you kidding me, I'm blind."

22. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Title font
    That weird octopus that probed Bodhi
    using scenes in trailers that promised totally different 3rd act!

J_Girl and cwustudent like this.
  23. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    That too. Since it didn't show up in the first or second act I pretty my thought was that Jyn was going to survive and deliver her "I rebel" line at the end as an explanation/justification for doing it.

J_Girl likes this.
  24. Kuestmaster

Kuestmaster Jedi Master star 2

Nov 17, 2012
    Too little of Vader
    The characters weren't very defined, they could have been better

25. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Dr. Evazan & Ponda Baba. I laughed, but they were totally unnecessary and out of place. How did they survive the destruction of Jedha? A bridge too far easter egg.