main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Rogue One Trailer Abstinence Thread - seeing the film cold

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by DebonaireNerd, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    You have way more will power than me. I think I've seen it at least 50 times... literally. :p

my kind of scum and TCF-1138 like this.
  2. emanswfan

emanswfan Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 2, 2016
    Impressive. I've let myself take in all material up to the end of last week, including all three trailers. But now I am forcing myself away from all Star Wars on social media and am trying to stick to visiting only the non-spoiler section, till RO's upcoming release. Hoping this will pay off towards a greater experience for my first viewing. No revealing TV spots or juicy leaks for me this time.

3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Good on you! I hope you manage to go into the movie totally unspoiled :)

What's your stance on posters and magazine covers and the like? A teaser poster was released at Celebration this summer, and now the theatrical poster has been revealed as well. Have you seen them, or are you trying to avoid those too?

4. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    No, i've been looking at the posters so technically I have seen stills of sorts. The latest poster is a DRASTIC improvement over that shoddy photoshop excuse for a movie poster.

5. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I mean, I get trying to stay spoiler free because maybe some of the characters die, but total media blackout doesn't make sense to me on this one like it does for the new trilogy. For Episode VIII, I have no idea what the plot will be. I can guess, but who knows? I have no idea how it will end. For RO, call me crazy, but I'm thinking that Death Star will scare the Rebels into stealing the plans, which they'll then transmit to Princess Leia. Source: I have seen Star Wars.

6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    This one is a wierd one for me. Usually I wouldn't want to have the kind of exposure I've had for R1 (All trailers, posters, articles/photos, even rumors), but for some reason I don't mind learning things that might be considered "spoilers" for this one. I think part of the reason is cos I pretty much know (or could at least make a solid assumption) the way this all ends-what happens to all characters, how the film ends, etc.

With the saga films, the sky is the limit story-wise, so that makes sense I'd like to know as little as possible. But here, any detail I learn about Rogue One just goes towards making me more excited.

7. A Corpse of Disapproval

A Corpse of Disapproval Severed Head Admin star 3 Staff Member Manager

Sep 16, 2015
    Spoiler tags, yo!!!

Big Bad Yoda Daddy likes this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I've seen the first 2 trailers (so I guess I'm not completely cold) but trying to avoid trailer #3. Which could be interesting / annoying in the few weeks because going to see Doctor Strange and damn skippy trailer #3 will be attached to it. However, if I happen to be in my seat when it plays (honestly, I'd give it a 50/50 shot I'd be at the theatre when that happens) I have a, slightly silly but mostly foolproof method, of simply closing my eyes and literally putting my fingers in my ears. But it's not enough to put your fingers in your ears, all it does is muffle the sound, you literally have to wiggle your fingers which blocks it out (low humming helps too). So, hopefully, everyone is so enthralled in trailer #3 that they don't look over to me and see a crazy person.

TheOneX_Eleazar and TCF-1138 like this.
  9. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I have not seen a single trailer. I do not know the name of a single actor in Rogue One. I do not know the name of a single character in Rogue One, aside from the potentially obvious ones. I was able to stay completely spoiler free for TFA, as well. The only thing I knew about TFA, was the return of the OT characters.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    Just watch out for the TV commercials that are out there

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yeah, I'm trying to avoid TV ads too I had to dive for the remote twice last night when watching TV. Twice! Well, actually, the first time I was watching TV with my sister and she wanted to see the ad so I let her and just closed my eyes and went "la la la la la!" and the 2nd time I was alone so had to hit the mute button and just walk away.

Saw Doctor Strange twice but managed to get into the theatre each time after the Rogue One trailer #3 was finished. The first time I saw it the movie I walked by the theatre and the door was open and I was hearing dialogue about something and something that sounded like blaster bolts and Star Wars style music so I just kept on walking right by the door and went to the bathroom instead. Second viewing me and my cousin just came in right when the flick started.

Obviously, I have the Star Wars FB pages on my feed and while they may post videos I just don't watch 'em and I'm actually kind of okay with random images they post, even if it's from the most recent trailer. I mean, even logging onto youtube it's constantly trying to get me to watch Trailer #3 so I'm gonna see framegrabs anyway.

12. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    As a heads up, avoid the trailers if you don't want to have a clue about the story of R1, even if the basic synopsis is something you already know.

There's already something of a coherent narrative emerging and with the new 'international trailer- which is actually the Japanese trailer- more of the story is being filled in, including a clue to something that may end up being a big twist; but that's speculation on my part. :)

13. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    *Sigh*

Saw a bit of the trailer today by accident. I was at the gym and saw some images with a very familiar logo - but no sound!

14. Master of None

Master of None Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Impressive!!

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The TV ads are getting harder to avoid, there was one on TV with no sound and my eyes flicked towards 3 shots I had seen in the first 1 trailers so I looked away... then I glanced back and saw a shot I hadn't seen before, ahhh!!

16. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I've pretty much made it. Seeing it in less than 48 hours :)

17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    =D=

18. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Seen it :)

Sarge likes this.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    And?

Are you glad you abstained from trailers?

my kind of scum likes this.
  20. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Absolutely no regrets.

I just watched both trailers. Admittedly, while the best visuals are saved for the movie, I still feel I got more out of seeing the film cold because a lot of locations did come across as a surprise. The trailers do disclose a fair bit of the beach operation, so everything I saw there was fresh. So, for Episode VIII, I can comfortably go in cold for that too. Even Adam Driver is advising fans to avoid the trailers.

As for the Han Solo Anthology film...urgh....spoil me. I seriously might actually wait for the home release. So i'll be looking out for the trailers on that one. I just don't care enough for it.

21. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    I just couldn't ever do it. I'm on Twitter far too frequently, and gifs/images get posted immediately upon a trailer's release. Can't give that up.

22. dva3842

dva3842 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2008
    I was rewatching a yt video of "Asohka vs. Inquisitors" and some snert spoiled in the comments what happened to the characters in Rogue One.​
    I guess no where in youtube is safe, even old yt snippets of the SW Holiday Special or old Ewok Adventure trailers, grr. (only safe place are these TFN threads thankfully)​
    Planning to see it tomorrow!​

23. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    Oh yeah, I remember when the pic of Luke in his TFA costume leaked on TFN, for a while, any SW-related YouTube video you'd watch had a video with that image as the thumbnail on the right as a recommended video. Was impossible to avoid.

24. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

Did he really? Do you have a source or context? I've been hearing rumblings about an Ep VIII trailer dropping sooner than we'd expect, and while I want to be spoiler free...

"Forgive me. I feel it again. The pull to the trailers. Teach me, posters, and I will go unspoiled as you have started."

25. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Not that I answer to you but...

https://www.wired.com/2016/12/cantina-talk-25/