main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V STAR WARS: ROGUE #$^$%&ING ONE: A STAR WARS STORY

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Mar 12, 2015.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Not sure yet. I think so, but I've only skimmed it so far. If you liked the look and style of the film, it has some good pieces in it.

If you have a chance to page through it at a store, that'll be the best way to judge.

2. Jam Lacobus

Jam Lacobus Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 4, 2015
    Two minor quibbles.

Quite hilariously this move has the exact opposite problem Force Awakens had for me. In that movie, all the characters become life long friends after meeting like five minutes ago. In this, the characters barely seem to like each other, never mind form relationships (except of course Chirrut and Baze - which why i think these characters are getting a lot of love). Also the totally romantic note between Jyn and Cassian towards the end feels unearned and from nowhere.

Also, ironically, I don't think this works as a standalone movie at all. Imagine this is your first Star Wars movie, you'd be wondering what the hell is going on. "Why is this evil old dude a CGI mannequin come to life? Who is this hulking scary black-robed figure who doesn't really have anything to do with anything? What the hell is a kyber crystal?"

Of course, none of that matters to me because I know the answers to all those questions. So of course I loved it. It had loads of good moments, loads of good action. K-2SO just kicked BB-8 for field goal. The plans through the hallway scene was my Vader-being-totally-badass-and-evil dreams come to life (albeit, nowhere near enough). I enjoyed the shades of gray added to the Rebellion. Krennic was splendid.

All in all, can't wait to see it again.
    PS
    Did everyone catch the Rebels reference?

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    There was more then one ;)

Chopper is on Yavin
    Ghost is seen in the battle and parked on Yavin
    Sendulla is called out on com
    Saw as extremist with mercs, as told in Rebels

Also possible that at least some of the Rebel Blockade-runners had the markings of Sato’s group

Kylun, Revanfan1 and Jam Lacobus like this.
  4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    They have no weapons! Just like it was on a diplomatic mission!

Ghost, TheRedBlade and Daneira like this.
  5. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I heard the Syndulla call, saw the Ghost, the Hammerhead corvettes are more the likely the ones Hera and co. stole from the Empire. Where was Chopper though? I missed him.

Also regarding the Wilhelm scream. The stromtroopie that Jyn drops on Eadu does scream but it didn't like a Wilhelm to me.

Also I can't overstate how much I've wanted to see a movie like this. And I was afraid that the team would survive, which I really didn't feel would work with the mission. Like Bria Tharen and the Toprawa rebels, no one on the ground should walk away from this battle.

GrandAdmiralJello I do really like the look and style of the movie. I'm hoping the artbook has more images of the rebel ships. Sadly I haven't seen in any stores around here, so like 90% of my hobby stuff I have to buy it online.

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  6. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    You can spot him in the Yavin base com room

7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    RANDOM OBSERVATIONS:

For me, sadly, it just felt like Galen Erso's sacrifice was for naught because he makes it very clear. He's doing this all to protect her...and well, it's his invention which murders his daughter.

I am glad they didn't show Hera at the Battle of Scarif, though, because that would confirm she survives and removes some dramatic tension even though I'm 99% sure she will.

I do like the way New Canon is making the Empire pervert all things Jedi. The Kyber Crystals, the Imperial Palace is the Jedi Temple, and so on and so on. I'm surprised they didn't turn Jedha into the place the Death Star was built.

Krennic's slimeiness I felt needed someone who was more threatening beside it. I was hoping for a new badass Imperial officer and we got Wayland Smithers. The moment where he says, "I still have my job?" TO DARTH VADER? It's like, so incredibly pathetic.

And that's probably why Vader DOESN'T kill him because he really does value his position more than his life.

Does anyone think Bevel Lemisk was among the engineers murdered or is he elsewhere?

I'm also of the mind that Bacta is Darth Vader having the equivalent of a relaxing bath--which makes the scene so much funnier.

TheRedBlade and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  8. Darth_Garak

Jul 28, 2005
    Hmm, I'll keep an eye out tomorrow.

I laughed so hard (on the inside) when Krennic asked Vader if he still has a job. Like, dude really? Your annoying Darth Freaking Vader with trivial BS (after disturbing his bath lol)? Wow. At least he had the sense not to ask for that Rear Admiral promotion again. Pretty sure Vader would have crushed him if he did.

Regarding Galen sacrificing himself to save Jyn and the very weapon he made killing her - to borrow a word from 40k. Grimdark.

Btw how long are we going to have to spoiler tag stuff? Just curious.

9. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    The movie came out today dude. Probably a while.

10. Darth_Garak

Jul 28, 2005
    Oh, I'm not moaning about the tags or anything. I'm just genuinely curious what's the official policy on how long to tag things.

11. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    So I'm seeing people being pretty hard on the soundtrack, but I thought it was alright. Nothing amazing, but pretty good. One touch I loved was how the music built up seamlessly to the classic "dun dundun-DUN!" Death Star Theme the first time we saw it. Also I'm pretty sure in Vader's first scene they used the Imperial theme from Episode IV before the Imperial March.

12. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Honestly, while this movie had nothing to due with Rogue Squadron, it makes the choice of that name by the later squadron so much more poignant and touching. Like Raddus, I bow my head to that awesome callsign.

--Adm. Nick

CooperTFN, Kylun, jSarek and 12 others like this.
  13. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I want a book about how the squadron was formed and them deciding to name it after the Rogue One team.

starfish, Kylun, smisk and 9 others like this.
  14. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Bloody hell I only just now realized that [face_hypnotized] .... well played movie makers... well played

darklordoftech and Malachi108 like this.
  15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Oh man. That got me. Especially knowing his background in TCW. You know he really meant it. And how much it meant, the thought of being betrayed by someone you loved as family, since he lost so much of it already.

YES. I'm so glad they put something like that in the film. A glimpse of their previous life. To show the audience they hadn't always been country bumpkins like Owen and Beru. Krennic can say it, but showing it gets the message across so much more.

WMIRTUTSF, Kylun, BobaMatt and 2 others like this.
  16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm totally for a ridiculous plotline for a Rogue Two.

Darth Vader has a woman surgically altered to look like Felecity Jones and a reprogrammed Sentry droid sent to infiltrate the Rebellion, only she falls for a Rebel and joins the cause!

Her real name? Mara jade!

....or Shira Brie.

:)

Edit:

Perhaps the most oddball thought I have about the movie is that Galen Erso really did just straight up tell them everything they needed to know to blow up the Death Star and if they'd kept his damn holo, I imagine there would have been an additional few minutes of information.
    "Go down this trench and drop a proton torpedo at Equatorial point 60o. It's not going to be easy but there's some good computer targeting points here. You should probably get a bush pilot with knowledge of Wamp Rat hunting."

17. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Finally saw the film (spoilers)
    I thought it was odd that the one nasty Rebel General guy kept pushing for Cassian to kill Galen. Was this done with Mon Mothma's approval? (because the novelization indicates otherwise). Cassian made a rant to Jyn about disobeying orders. But, technically, couldn't he tell mean Rebel General guy that if it's against what Mon Mothma says, he won't do it? Mon Mothma outranks mean Rebel General guy by far.

Also, mean Rebel General guy's orders don't even remotely make sense at this point. Killing Galen 15 years ago might have been meaningful. Killing him now? Everyone already knew the Death Star destroyed Jedha city. Did mean Rebel General guy think the Death Star would magically disappear if Cassian killed Galen? And that's not taking into account the remote possibility Jyn is telling the truth and Galen is the only one who knows a secret weakness to the Death Star. When Jyn snapped at Cassian that he obeys orders that he knows are wrong, I wanted to add "He also obeys orders that don't even make sense."

Vader living on Mustafar seemed more just a show of, oh look how creepy and nasty the Sith are, without really seeming of much practical import in-universe. Vader living on Coruscant with regular access to the Imperial military and Imperial Council just make more sense. And if Vader wants to relax--well gee, what is the point of being No. 2 man in the galaxy if you can't live on a nice planet?

If Vader makes himself (or Palpatine makes him) face his bad memories on Mustafar, why stop there? Maybe make Vader go to the Lars Homestead and take a trip down memory lane--oh wait. Obi-Wan's and Yoda's plan to hide Luke entirely hinges on the assumption that Vader won't return to Tatooine due to his painful past. But if it's the Sith way to hold onto the past, then Yoda and Obi-Wan have massively miscalculated...

Same goes for Krennic wiping out Galen's engineering team even after they were confirmed innocent of any Rebel activities--done just to show how bad Krennic is yet having no actual benefits in-universe to the character. The Death Star is still in late beta stage--what if those engineers needed to perform maintenance or design repairs? This would be like Microsoft wiping out the dev team of Windows 11 just before release because Bill Gates decided to leak some code to Apple. The dev team is innocent and now there's no one to make a Day 1 patch.

What Are The Odds likes this.
  18. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Draven actually explains why he wants it done, so Galen cannot ever help the Empire in future.

He was doing that just to punish Galen and to break him further, there conflict is rather personal for the two of them and Krennic properly considers Galen to be the only worthy person on the whole team anyway.

vncredleader and Jedi Ben like this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Why? It's not like he has done so before or in ESB

20. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think killing Galen shows the Rebellion does nothing but meaningless attacks against the Empire.

As for Vader living on Mustafar, I find it extremely difficult to imagine Vader living on Coruscant. He strikes me as the kind of man who is always on the move, suppressing the Empire's enemies and attacking them. If he lives anywhere it would be on the Devastator then the Executor. I think of Mustafar as his own personal Force Temple versus house. Certainly, he'd consider Coruscant to be nothing worthwhile to visit save to speak with the Emperor.

Mustafar, however, is a place he can meditate on his pain and hatred.

As for the issue of why Krennic killed the engineers, I think that was just a meaningless display of power so Krennic could feel like a big shot.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    My favorite scene in the movie. :p

I don't know if it was originally intended to be a fuller scene or not. The VG suggests to me that it was, by its placement in the book and a whole two pages on it. But that may just be my desperate hopes for a deleted scene of it, like I hoped for a Hosnian deleted scene. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

BobaMatt and Gorefiend like this.
  22. What Are The Odds

What Are The Odds Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2016
  23. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    About the Coruscant scene, obviously you don't get to see the planet, but the extended version is within the pages of Catalyst. There's a lot that Catalyst adds to Rogue One.

WMIRTUTSF and my kind of scum like this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Indeed, and the VG ties into Catalyst quite a bit. That's why it's unclear to me whether the VG discussion of that scene is describing dialogue cut from the film, or it was always a flashback and Catalyst is our source for the argument in question.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Also speaking of the flashback, I totally did not picture Galen Erso wearing an Imperial uniform when reading Catalyst. I pictured him wearing the uniform we saw on Eadu. So when he put Jyn to bed and he was wearing an Imperial uniform, I was like "Wait, who's this guy putting her to bed...oh. That's Galen." Nothing wrong with it of course, but given his dislike of working for the government I'm semi-surprised he wore a uniform at all.

fistofan1 likes this.