main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Is Rogue One a True Spin-off?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by tokilamockingbrd, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I now feel like ANH and RO are tied together the way I always felt TESB and ROTJ were... RO leads directly into ANH (so that's obvious) TESB and ROTJ (whilst having a 6 months or so gap) continues on with the direct story of Han being rescued and all the story threads from Empire.

Imagine where they could go with the 3 year gap between ANH and Empire! :cool: This is where I would personally throw the Boba Fett film in.

Darth Basin, Satipo and Artoo-Dion like this.
  2. Amiga_500_User

Amiga_500_User Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 4, 2014
    Well, that's just a marketing/pr decision, isn't it?
    Again, technically speaking this is definitely a prequel. And finally a good one at that.

3. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    It's definitely not a 'standalone' movie, which I often see it described as in the media and sometimes from LF people.

Satipo, V-2 and Artoo-Dion like this.
  4. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Why would they not market it as a prequel? An entire generation of fans experience Star Wars through the prequels - "Sequel to Revenge of the Sith" would have most of my friends for instance chomping at the bit for Rogue One! Simple answer - it wasn't a sequel or the prequel, it was it's own thing.

Also, I would suggest you avoid throwing out jabs at the prequels like you just did. They have plenty of fans and this forum has express rules against that sort of thing.

5. Mick RcCallum

Mick RcCallum Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 14, 2015
    This supplemental standalone spin-off story is most accurately described as a prequel sequel.

V-2 likes this.
  6. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    As long as Disney and LFL call them a spin-off movie (Anthology), then this is how I call it.

For me? It is part of the saga.

7. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015

There are tons of reason not to market it as a prequel. Even to me a fan of the PT I would have been put off a little if they marketed it as another Prequel (we already have 3).

They disguised a prequel as a spinoff. That is the whole point of the thread. To discuss now that we have seen it, what it truly is and not what Disney marketed as.

8. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Yes! I hope the Boba Fett story takes place exactly where you suggest. It would be cool since it would be different - the galaxy would be in open war, so the Empire wouldn't be able to keep track of all the hunters - a perfect time for a showdown between Boba Fett and Cad Bane to see who is the premier bounty hunter.

That's my idea at least, what do you think? :)

Avnar likes this.
  9. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Exactly. In publishing, IIRC, your book is assigned a genre based on marketing considerations. Science fiction or fantasy? Depends on which set of readers is more likely to pick it up. It's the same in this case.

Satipo likes this.
  10. ucdex

ucdex Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Rogue One works because its adding and dovetailing quite well into Episode 4, how the character driven anthology films, mainly the Han Solo and the alleged Boba-Fett/Obi-Wan standalones would have a much higher hill to climb in terms of box office

I'm actually least interested in Boba Fett standalone out of all of that. An Obi-Wan Yojimbo style 'small scale' jidai geki flick where's he's policing some small town in Tatooine from bandits and is a sword for hire there without his employers knowing he's actually a Jedi in hiding would absolutely be something I want to see, but I don't know how marketable that would be.

redxavier and Darkslayer like this.
  11. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Darkslayer, whilst you are right about the jab comment - Why care anymore? I only say this because with so many Star Wars films coming out the fan base is going to get incredibly fractured between which films they do like and don't... You will have combinations of every type.

Some will only like the OT (and then some will even drop Jedi from this)
    Some will only like the PT
    Some will like the 6 film saga but not the ST
    Some will like the OT + the ST but not the PT
    Some will love RO more then any other film
    Some will hate the HS film just because it doesn't have Harrison
    Some (like me) will love Caravan of Courage but HATE Battle for Endor
    Some will actually count the Holiday Special as canon [face_hypnotized]

etc, etc, etc

Do you see where I am going with this? Obviously the mods do the best they can to stop obvious trolls spewing out the same stuff over and over again ad-nauseum...

12. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Well, good news - after the Han Solo movie, those are the two spinoffs that are probably next! :D

ucdex likes this.
  13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    It's both a spin-off and a prequel, but I think it's more appropriate to refer to it as the former rather than the latter, since "prequel" is a comparatively vaguer term. It's a prequel in that it's a film set prior to A New Hope that was released afterwards, and a spin-off in that it follows completely new characters who have their own stories that are completely separate from the core narrative of the Saga.

I'm personally super psyched for a Boba Fett film, just because I love the character for totally superficial reasons and would love a movie that shows him to be the badass we're told he is in TESB. And although I'm not sure whether or not they're going to do an Obi-Wan film, I'd also love to see one that's more or less exactly as you described, and I think they could market the hell out of that. Throw in a sequence where Obi-Wan has to fight off a Krayt dragon so that there's at least one "blockbuster" action scene, and I think it'd do really well.

Avnar, ucdex and Darkslayer like this.
  14. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
  15. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Now that I've had a few days to process it, maybe Rogue One isn't as required viewing as I initially thought. I think it's acceptable to watch the main chronological saga in Episodes 1-7+, and then maybe as an aside, watch Rogue One to fill in a gap and tell a one off story. There is such a long time span between Episodes 3 and 4 that I don't think RO will necessarily be required viewing until the story between the end of ROTS and the events leading up to RO is told. I think a movie detailing the rise of Vader within the Empire and the rise of the Empire throughout the galaxy following ROTS would make that and RO a perfect set of films to bridge the PT and the OT, and thus, making them required viewing when watching the saga chronologically. But at this point RO is still a one off until the story leading up to it gets told.

16. Mick RcCallum

Jul 14, 2015
    Avnar how can you say that about Battle for Endor???
    It is definitely the better of the two Ewok films.
    Teek is the balls!

TCF-1138 and V-2 like this.
  17. tokilamockingbrd

May 12, 2015

required viewing depends on what you mean. Technically none of the PT is "required viewing", they add immensely to the universe and the backgrounds of key characters from the OT, but the OT did just fine without them. Just like RO. Don't need to see it, but it adds quite a bit to the universe (particular getting to see imperial territory more as the OT spent most of its time in the outer rim and out of core imperial territory).

18. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I saw COC (um...er...bad acronym) as a child and loved it! (Saw it before any SW film) I actually didn't find out there was a sequel to it until I brought it on DVD as a 2 pack and was like "What the hell is Battle for Endor???" Watched it and hated it Grrrrr

*bare in mind I was a child and had a lot of nostalgia with COC - BFE was seen through my adult eyes...when the inner child was dead* :D

V-2 likes this.
  19. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Well it's not Episode 3.5 - Rogue One, is it? [:D]

20. tokilamockingbrd

May 12, 2015

No it is the beta for episode 4.

So Episode 4.0 version .9

MotivateR5D4 and Diego Lucas like this.
  21. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    TBH, I would say all the movies and TV shows are required viewing because Star Wars is awesome :p

22. tokilamockingbrd

May 12, 2015
    ya, but he was saying from a central story perspective. In reality the only required material is the OT. Everything else exist to expand outward from that. PT, ST, Rebels, Clone Wars. You have to look at video games like Knights of the Old Republic to find material that is truly stand alone (I guess some books too).

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  23. Mick RcCallum

Jul 14, 2015
    Haha, fair enough sir.
    My experience was the opposite. As a kid I watched BFE repeatedly, loved it. Not so much with COC, I didn't see it as often and didn't feel so connected.
    In my nostalgia, I still LOVE the BFE movie (although even as a kid I thought the bird lady was inconsistent with the world of the OT).
    Through my adult eyes, I think BOTH of the Ewok movies are pretty crusty. :p

V-2 likes this.
  24. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Technically all prequels and sequels are spinoffs. R1 is clearly a prequel and not a standalone; it's practically meaningless without ANH.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  25. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    I guess from a marketing and business stand point, they were hedging their bets - labelling it (ridiculously so, going by the ***** titles) as a "stand-only" movie would mean that if it did, say, crash and burn a la "Fantastic Four" or whatever, it would hopefully minimally impact the main Star Wars brand (the cash cow that is the ST).

It was very illuminating (briefly) hanging out with the Disney minions at Celebration lets say.

WhyKnock likes this.