main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Discussion Thread -- Untagged Spoilers Within

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Dec 13, 2016.

1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    It's almost midnight and I just got back. I am fanboying this thing all the way. I loved it, loved it, loved it. My favorite is Cassian and I thought his arc with Jyn was fantastic.

A few more loves.:

Vader's rampage at the end. As said above: terrifyingly brilliant.

Vader choking joke worked for me. I think the delivery was ominous enough not to be cheesy.

Cinematography.

Chirrut Imwe. Loved his humor and heart.

Ground combat element was amazing.

Question: Where was Red 2?

I hope Cassian's back story is in Catalyst. Imwe's comment about him carrying his prison with him was poignant. Cassian said more about losing everything but inquiring minds want to know.

I'll be back with more at some point.

Kahara, Lady_Misty and Ewok Poet like this.
  2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I liked the fact that the pilots had cheesy 1970's mustaches and haircuts to match the style in A New Hope. I was hoping to see Biggs, though.

Kahara and Gamiel like this.
  3. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    I thought I saw Biggs. I wondered why we didn't see Wedge.

4. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Too busy trying not to get blasted into a million pieces to chat much? ;)

5. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Biggs was definitely there. I also think I caught a glimpse of Porkins in the Yavin hangar.

The moustaches were great but the sideburns were lacking. There, I found something to criticise :p

Briannakin likes this.
  6. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    I loved it!! Much more than I was prepared to in all honestly. The chemistry between Cassian and Jyn made me adore them. :) I thought the ground battle on Scarif was amazing!

So many other things to like as well. Vader. Tarkin!! I think I might have yelled out loud when he appeared. [face_blush] Overall it was just a well done movie. I think most, or certainly a lot, suspected the entire team would die and even that actually happening added to the realism of the film.

Kahara likes this.
  7. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Oh yeah, I loved that they used the hair and mustaches, it really made it seem like it was in the same time even though it's been filmed almost 40 years ago and clearly our tech and filming abilities have improved quite a bit.

Because Denis Lawson has turned down being in new Star Wars movies. They asked him to be in TFA and he said no. :(

Briannakin and JediMaster_Jen like this.
  8. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I loved all the late 70's hair styles and facial hair! I really cant wait until the Blu-Ray comes out, then I can watch it all as one 4+ hour movie :p Because it really feels like it could be with all the stylistic choices.

Denis Lawson did do several of the early EU audiobooks, and he did have a cameo in TPM. I can understand why he doesn't feel like he should come back, but another cameo would have been great.

I've been kinda blah and haven't started the RO novelization, but I already have plans to see the movie again, either tomorrow or within the next few days :p

9. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    They would've had to CGI him in anyway; he's still looking good, but he wouldn't pass for 20 again. The moustaches were great attention to detail! Beards have made a comeback, sort of, and I know there are plenty of men trying to revive the 'stache. (I'm not a fan personally; a bit harder to hit the target, but that's just my opinion. ) And all the grimy 'used' look, that helped a lot. But I still wish they'd opened with the crawl and the traditional fanfare before going forward. It just threw me off kilter.

10. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Oh for sure they would have had to CGI him, but they'd need his permission to do so. In the credits there was a special thanks to Carrie Fisher and the estate of Peter Cushing for using their likeness. They might not have wanted to use him for that reason though, they were already doing a decent amount of CGI people who were more important.

I didn't mind not having a crawl and I thought I would. It certainly distinguishes this movie from the other movies (specifically that while it deals with the same ideas, isn't part of the Skywalker family series), which is what I'm sure they were going for. I did kinda miss the fanfare, though. I did love that they gave nod to the other movies with the opening shot and pan of the camera.

I'm hoping to see it a second time in the next few days. Normally, I would have already, but I'm at my parents house and have to convince them (well my dad) to go.

11. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    It was nice to see Dodonna even though he didn't do much. So many things to be excited about.

12. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I was wondering about that. I had mentioned to my kids that I wondered if they had to get permission and/or pay the estate of Peter Cushing. Vader's voice didn't sound like James Earl Jones. I am fairly certain Jones did the voice, but it sounded different to me. I'll tell you one thing that was freaky to me is that last scene with Vader. Before I saw him menacing...so of like a Hannibal Lector type of menacing (minus the cannibalism). You know the guy is evil, but you also grudgingly have some respect for the man. But in that last scene it was far past menacing. It was Texas Chainsaw Massacre scary. That look of panic on the rebels' faces was pure terror. It was like being in a slasher movie. That was very well done. That changed my perception of Vader from menacing to downright scary.

I was also happy to see General Dodonna.

Kahara likes this.
  13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, they would have had to CGI a young Wedge in, but Denis Lawson could have had a cameo as a different character (though I was wrong about the cameo he had in TPM - I think it was a different pilot).

Though that is interesting that they thanked Carrie Fisher and Peter Cushing's estate. I know Lucasfilm (and thus Disney) owns all their likenesses, so I don't think they legally had to.

And, yeah, I liked not having an opening crawl. It really helped set the tone of "NOT an Episode". Though the music could have been a bit more epic/closer to the fanfare.

And it was awesome to see Vader down right ruthless, just going to town the Rebels who have no chance.

Also, I think I'm going to hold off on the novelization, just because I have things I want to accomplish before I head off to my mom's, where I know I'll have some afternoons to kill on the couch doing nothing.

14. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Loved this way better than TFA.

Only two minor gripes:

Forgiveable. The plans should have been transmitted from Derra IV, not Scarif. But only those who listened to the ANH radio serial would know that.

Unforgiveable. They are still doing that jump to lightspeed from inside a gravity well ****.

Great war film, otherwise.

Kahara and whiskers like this.
  15. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    nm

Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    You should live in the sticks like I do. My kids and I were the only people in the theater on Friday. :p

leiamoody likes this.
  17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Just got back from my 2nd viewing (hey, my friend wanted to see it so I took her for her Christmas gift). Couple notes:

The 3D is so totally not worth it. I saw it in 2D this time and I'm not sure if its my eyes, but 3D added NOTHING spectacular. Though this time I was able to focus on CGI Tarkin more. I did notice some of his movements to be not completely realistic, and, as Chyn mentioned, some of the voice mannerisms felt off, BUT I STILL liked that he was included in the movie. I'm one of those people (as I'm sure many of us are) who value a solid story line above how a movie looks. So it made sense to me to use ever-advancing technology to include an important character to a tale, even if the actor is no longer around. But once again, I felt indifferent to the CGI Leia. I don't think showing her face added much, but it didn't detract from the ending

In general, I think I liked it better the 2nd time around, but maybe because I noticed a bit more.

I also payed closer attention to the Tantive IV and the whole Leia, Raymus, Bail Organa situation. Right after the short convo about Obi-Wan and the "I trust her with my life" line, Bail calls for "Captain Antilles" (clearly to get him to take Leia to Tatooine). But of course Bail is only going to trust Leia with the TRUE purpose of the mission. SO, I think, before the Tantive IV could get going, it gets swept to Scarif on board the big command ship. Obviously, secret mission to get secret Jedi can't be reveled, so Leia is forced to wait out the battle on the Tantive IV on the command ship (which we do see the Tantive IV docked on board). I think it could have been clearer why Leia was at the battle but meh.

Chyntuck likes this.
  18. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    leiamoody Aren't morning screenings an option where you live? They shouldn't be so crowded anymore, now that the opening weekend is over.

About Leia being in the battle, that's the one little detail that I'm afraid doesn't have a valid explanation as things are, but it's entirely forgivable [face_love] (and necessary)

leiamoody likes this.
  19. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I too am waiting for a 2D showing - if there is one - to see the film again.

Had no idea! As a former HH aficionada, will definitely pay attention.

Isn't that a subject to G-canon vs other canons at this point? Just like the old novelisations?

leiamoody likes this.
  20. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    If you mean, "isn't that part of Legends", then yes. Turns out that there really is something to the you can't teach an old dog new tricks adage.

I take comfort in the knowledge, facts and events that I have accumulated over the years and decades.

There is an old Richard Pryor or Eddie Murphy special, featuring a guy getting busted by his wife minutes after she has seen him with another girl. Leia is going to have to channel that at Tatooine.

Vader Dude, I literally saw your ship drop out of a Rebel Star Cruiser in the middle of a ******* battle!

Leia I don't know what you and your lying eyes saw....wasn't me.

21. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005

See also: The Shaggy Defense.

leiamoody likes this.
  22. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005

This. Vader was scary in that scene! A real menacing force (no pun intended)! We have not seen this kind of Vader, in the suit before.

23. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    nm

Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  24. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    leiamoody - If she's not going to be angry or jealous because you did, I say do it.

25. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    It did have me wondering why he would NEED the 501st; if all he has to do is wave one hand to wipe out a whole company of Rebel troops, you'd think a bunch of Stormtroopers tromping along would just slow him down!

Yes, I wish they'd pulled back just a bit, inferred more so that the bits of CGI they DID use would be more impactful. Just like Leia (I thought her CGI face looked unnaturally wide); I would've been happy with that glimpse of her from the back.

I loved that series, and didn't know Denis had a role at all. I sat up on the couch, saying, "Wait a minute...isn't that...?" Small, but funny.

Ewok Poet and Lady_Misty like this.