main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Is Rogue One a True Spin-off?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by tokilamockingbrd, Dec 18, 2016.

1. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015

You are correct. The Ursos play a major role in that, but in the end the role they play is enabling the destruction of the death star.

Also the plot makes more sense for Jedi now. If the Empire realized the only reason they beat the 1st death star was an intentional design flaw they would be motivated to build another without the flaw. Where as before it was kinda like "well they blew up the 1st one, lets build another and make it bigger!"

2. tokilamockingbrd

May 12, 2015

Here is the opening crawl from ANH. Rogue is literally a movie about the opening crawl. I don't see how you can call a movie about an event specified in the opening crawl of the original a spinoff.

3. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The event specified in the opening crawl is the setup for the story in the fourth episode of the Skywalker Saga, so in a way, it is a part of the story. At the same time, it does revolve around a subject that's not truly central to the Saga, so I'd say it's at least spin-offish.

4. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    A spinoff is called such because it literally "spins off" of something else. The fact that Rogue One takes a plot point from A New Hope and expands upon it is the very thing that makes it a spinoff, and to claim otherwise is to demonstrate a lack of understanding as to what the term "spinoff" actually means and what it is used to describe.

V-2 and yodarulzall like this.
  5. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Prequel - Spin Off - Ep3.5......it doesn't matter it had no opening crawl and is separate to the Episode Saga so in all in all it's just a Star Wars Movie.......

6. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    tokilamockingbrd you need to stop double posting. It's against forum rules to post twice or more in a row. You need to let someone else post or respond before posting again, in a thread.

As for the topic, I don't care what they call it, I call it awesome!

7. tokilamockingbrd

May 12, 2015
    It only bothers me because calling it a spinoff cheapens it. This story is very much a part of the Saga. And the movie quality wise is worthy to be considered alongside the others.

8. tokilamockingbrd

May 12, 2015
    by your definition the entire PT is a spinoff.

9. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    The term "spinoff" doesn't 'cheapen' anything, because, as I said, the term is literal. Rogue One "spins off" of A New Hope.

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek Deep Space Nine, Star Trek Voyager, and Star Trek Enterprise are spinoffs of Gene Roddenberry's original Star Trek, but you don't see people complaining that calling them such 'cheapens' them... because it doesn't.

V-2 likes this.
  10. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    You were warned. Buh bye.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  11. woj101

woj101 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 19, 2000
    Except the Star Wars saga is built around the Skywalkers. The Skywalker story is the base. Wrapped around that is the Jedi/Sith plot, and wrapped around that is the Empire/Rebellion plot. Rogue One is not part of the Star Wars saga - the Skywalkers barely feature and its primary focus is the tertiary focus of the saga.

12. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    It is a prequel to ANH regardless of how anyone here feels about it. Whether or not it should also be classified is a spinoff is the only debate here.

13. DarthBeagle

DarthBeagle Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    It's called a spinoff because Episode 3 is already taken.

However this could easily fit into the saga series. It really is ANH Pt1

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

14. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    ESB, RotJ, CoC, BFE, Droids, Ewoks, TPM, AotC, RotS, CW, TCW, Rebels, TFA and R1 are all Star Wars spin-offs by definition. Same goes for all the toys, books, comics, bath towels, etc. If anyone thinks that cheapens the Star Wars franchise, I think they need to think hard about what a movie franchise actually is, and what the words they are misusing actually mean.

15. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    It is a spin-off or Anthology movie as they call it.
    The "main story" is told in episodes and is about Skywalkers.

16. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    the term "spin off" doesn't have to mean "standalone". you're right in that Rogue One can't really exist without the other movies, but I believe it can still be a spinoff, since it is about events and characters that happen (somewhat) concurrently with the "main" stuff.

17. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Just talking to a friend at work who saw the film last night, he was surprised its being marketed as a spin off as he thought it was a direct prequel.

18. Vasco_Rojo

Vasco_Rojo Jedi Master star 2

Apr 21, 2016
    It is a spin off. it is not part of the main episodeĀ“s saga. There is nothing wrong with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  19. OldTimeFan

OldTimeFan Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    First off I am not bashing I really loved the movie.

However why I feel this movie is not a standalone adventure.

The opening scroll of Episode 4 mentions this as a very important event the Rebellions first victory.
    Episode 4 could not have happened as it did without the events of Rogue One.

Rogue One shows us the rebel council meeting and they are all senators it really shows the link to the prequels.

Sure the people in Rogue One are cannon fodder or Banta fodder as they say but the events are vital to the saga.

Episode 3 ends with the formation of the Empire and a few unhappy senators mostly in the deleted scenes.
    The senators in Rogue One still want to bring Galen Erso before the Senate.
    It's the events of Rogue One that really starts the galactic civil war.

I always found the transition from Episode 3 to 4 very jarring.
    Rogue One is like the missing part and it's fits into place just right.

For me showing anybody the saga in future I could not leave out Rogue One and it belongs as the bridge between episodes 3 and 4.

For me this is what George Lucas omitted from the prequels and it's a vital part of the story in my opinion.

20. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Merged threads.

21. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015

.......just a Star Wars movie?

Sarge and nightangel like this.
  22. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    What irks me the most is when I hear people say, "It's an anthology." No, it's definitely not. It's PART of an anthology, but not an anthology on its own. I think some people tend use the word without knowing what it means.

Sarge likes this.
  23. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Eh, it's an "Anthology film". I think most people know what the word means; calling the film "an anthology" is just short for "it's a part of the the film series known as the Star Wars Anthology".

24. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    TITLE UPDATED TO SOMETHING LESS CONFRONTATIONAL AND BAITING.

YOU'RE WELCOME.

Artoo-Dion and V-2 like this.
  25. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Its 2 extra hours of ANH to me. And despite the sad "middle" part, it all plays out at "the end" with the medal ceremony.

DBPirate likes this.