main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Forest Whitaker (Saw Gerrera) in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by starocean90, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean its not just the fighting that did him in to paranoia town I would contribute that mostly to Steela dying. Seeing as we have had plenty of rebels like Cham who had fought for even longer and he seems pretty sane/ normal. but its all phycological.

2. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    i'd hope so

3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Did you read Lords of the Sith or see Rebels? This may just be me, but Cham didn't seem too rational in those. Actually he reminded me a lot of Rogue One Saw.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Yep, but he seemed to have recovered by Rebels.

Darkslayer likes this.
  5. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    True. I think Hera helped a lot with that. Those were pretty good episodes!

DarthAnakin96 likes this.
  6. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    THREAD MERGE.

7. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    Was unaware when I saw the movie that this was a Clone Wars character.

Have to say I loved him - thought Forest Whitaker did loads with him in a couple of minutes of screen time. Wish he'd been a major player - was weird in a good way. A religious extremist hiding out in a cave.

8. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I think Forest did the best with what he was given, but this character was not necessary and they could have skipped the whole Saw's rebels scenario. Instead the group could have freed Bodhi from an imperial basement on Jedha and at best having Galen + Bodhi at Jedha. This would have avoided too much planet hopping and more group/character building. ;)

GunganSlayer likes this.
  9. ARC_RC-7567

ARC_RC-7567 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2015
    Oh my God I have never thought how much I want this. Make the Death Troopers be the ones on the ground hunting him down and then we're set.

10. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    He was my favorite part of the movie :(

Gigoran Monk and Darthmaul208 like this.
  11. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    For me, he was one of the less memorable characters in the movie (along with the defector pilot). Nothing against Mr. Whitaker. He did a great job with what he was given.

12. Pondscum

Pondscum Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 10, 2014
    I watched the TCW episodes before Rogue One and honestly I'm not sure why I bothered. Beyond the namecheck, was there any real reason for these characters being the same? I understand that there's the whole 'terrorist' angle in his episodes but the surprising thing to me was that those episodes seemed to be about him growing and becoming a more responsible team player. It made me think this character was merged with Saw in hindsight.

weezer likes this.
  13. MasterMoolah

MasterMoolah Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 25, 2015
    I've seen some reviews on Youtube where reviewers are kind of throwing shade on the Saw character a little bit because he was crazy. I think his character was necessary. Up until R1, the rebellion (and even the Resistance in TFA) are always portrayed as happy-go-lucky rebels. Everyone always seems like they're in a good mood and haven't been impacted by war. R1 showed what war really does to people and is hands down the most realistic portrayal of war to date in the SW universe. Saw represents to lengths freedom fighters have gone to in attempts at defeating much more powerful organizations and empires. As bad as Saw may be to some, he's nothing compared to what the Empire has done. The Death Star is basically a genocidal WMD. Look at what Krennic and Tarkin do to Jedha! You see why Saw does what he does and people like him and Cassien are much more realistic when it comes to rebellions. In the OT and ST, there's always this emphasis on not viewing people like Darth Vader and Kylo Ren as pure evil. There's always an Obi-Wan or Yoda or General Leia talking about the good still in people who kill literally tens of millions of people with their superweapons. Saw Gerrera is like "screw that." Saw sees the Empire for what it really is and he's a soldier so he's seen it up close and personal unlike Mon Mothma who called him a "militant" but she's merely a politician who comes off as someone who has never seen the action up close and personal. So does Mon Mothma really has the ability to judge Saw? I'm not so sure.

So like I said, I think Saw Gerrera was a necessary element in this story. I would've liked to have seen him more and I think his death could've been much more impactful had he survived Jedha and died on the beaches of Scarif like everyone else.

Darkslayer likes this.
  14. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    well seems like Saw is popping up in Rebels this season.

Darkslayer likes this.
  15. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012

Will he bringing his Partisans? I think Beezer might like to say hello to his old friends, the Syndulla's.

starocean90 likes this.
  16. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    don't know just a poster of him
    [​IMG]

seems related to the January double episode premiere where they go to Geonosis.

Darthmaul208 and Django Fett like this.
  17. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Makes sense he's in it! Maybe they will show when he leaves the Rebellion down the line..

Btw what an annoying face on Ezra..o_O

18. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    One of the best minor characters in Star Wars, IMO. A complex man, to say the least. With his mind (and power) slowly slipping away. Edwards has noted that Bodhi was influenced by Dennis Hopper's character from Apocalypse Now, and I imagine Saw was influenced (partly) by Marlon Brando in that same film - mixed with a bit of Che Guevara.

From another thread:

19. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Was Saw driven mad by Bor Gullet?

20. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

He's a mixture of Dennis Hopper in Apocalypse Now, Blue Velvet and maybe Hoosiers for good measure, with lashings of ROD STEIGER HAM on top and it's wonderful.

Star Wars, like Bond, is meant to be weird and idiosyncratic

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    And considering a Rebel (Cassian Andor) kills one of Saw's men onscreen - then if he'd found out about it - it would fuel any existing paranoia.

weezer likes this.
  22. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Amen. I really, really enjoyed TFA, but Edwards brought the weird, the grotesque and the unsettling (something McQuarrie also understood) in a way that Abrams wouldn't even dream of. I'd almost go so far as to say that he's Lucas' spiritual successor (as some see Filoni in the animation department). He gets that Star Wars is both an emotional thing - a feeling - AND the details. The designs, the denizens, the environments, the sounds. They are not just a stage on which actors play. The setting acts as a character itself. Edwards married world-building with character in a way that surpassed, IMO, Jackson's success with the LOTR films. He deserves another Star Wars film, IMO. In particular,, I'd trade Trevorrow in for Edwards. In a heartbeat.

23. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    does anyone know how old Saw is? Is it in the visual guide or what?

24. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    Here is the official Saw in Rebels, also voiced by Forest Whitaker and links to RO.

25. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Awesome, it was pretty obvious from what Filoni has been saying, that there are going to be some major Rebels/R1 tie ins. Love Saw, however I really want Cassian and K2 to appear.

Hopefully Rebels will ramp up now. Season 3 has been lacklustre to say the least.