main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Grand Moff Tarkin (Guy Henry and Peter Cushing) in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Bosskkkk, Jul 15, 2016.

1. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    I was definitely not expecting a full on Tarkin performance. I assumed there would be some sort of tiny cameo or just a throwaway line "Grand Moff Tarkin's shuttle has arrived" or something similar. I thought it was brilliantly done. You see his reflection in the glass of the viewport and think to yourself "Oh, that's how they're gonna do it." And then he turns around. That is a jaw droppingly good moment. Not only that, we got young Leia which gave me goosebumps and made my eyes well up a bit. (I'm not crying. YOU'RE crying!) We got friggin' Red Leader and Gold Leader back! This was already a great film, but these classic character cameos were just the icing on the cake for me. With sprinkles. And it didn't feel as gratuitous as it did in Episode VII. Kevin Smith said it best in his review of the movie: "It wasn't jerk you around fan service. It was elegant fan service."

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    probably stephen stanton.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The actor isn't Stephen Stanton - it's Guy Henry (I don't know if Guy Henry did the voice though).

Stephen Stanton voiced Admiral Raddus at least.

4. Unkar's Muffins

Unkar's Muffins Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    Man, Tarkin's role totally blew me away! I can't believe it. They can get a full-on multi-scene performance out of a long-dead actor. AMAZE-BALLS!

Darth Smurf and Darth Downunder like this.
  5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  6. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004

Tarkin is undoubtedly voiced by Guy Henry in Rogue One.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Simply unbelievable. If you ask me in 10 years what I remember from the movie - it will be the Tarkin CGI making a step in a bigger world

Darth Formidious and Iron_lord like this.
  8. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    He wasn't needed. It amazes me that people ripped George Lucas apart for his use of CGI and are now praising the most distracting CGI ever to be used in a Star Wars film.

Leia was very well done, but more importantly, her scene was brief. They could have had a Tarkin cameo, or hinted at his appearance. Instead they chose to put him front and center for several scenes. They wanted to show off the tech.

The Uncanny Valley is an extremely difficult ditch to climb out of. Our revulsion and discomfort at the sight of an "almost-human" is hardwired.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It stopped being "distracting" for me, after the first moment.

10. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    As I said earlier. It's not about the character but about the risk LF took to place a real "dead" character in there being fully CGI.
    Technically from todays standpoint they did it extremely good. I felt the same "shock" back at Terminator 2 when the T1000 appeared on screen.
    They opened the door now for any resurrection. Rocky 1.5 to be announced soon....

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    Yeah, I'm sorry, I refuse to believe this whole "revulsion toward CG characters is hard wired" thing, because if that were true, literally not a single person in this thread would have bought CG Tarkin, which just isn't true.

jaqen likes this.
  12. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    One thing missing - Cushing's trademark finger wave (which is not the same as Harrison Ford's trademark pointing).

13. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    It was weird hearing Peter Cushing doing an impression of Guy Henry but I think he pulled it off, sounded just like him to me. [face_laugh]

14. ucdex

ucdex Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    He looks worse in 3D. I kind of wish his scenes were more toned down and shot creatively but i understand he sort of needed to be in this one.

15. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I was extremely impressed by Tarkin. I was scrutinizing his appearance every time he was on screen and he looked like a real human being to me. Same with Leia. Now there's no excuse for every movie not to have a CGI Peter Cushing in it.

TooMuchBBQ, Darth Smurf and Lee_ like this.
  16. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I don't see any other way to describe it than fantastic. The PT and the OT both contained major breakthroughs in special effects; both were highly influential in what would come in other movies; The Tarkin bit was is in keeping with SW bringing innovation. This may not match what those trilogies did in that regard, but this is still quite significant as far as I can tell; I've never seen them keep up someone in CGI that well and for that long. It looks to be a pretty good leap in that tech.

They did an unbelievable job with him and Leia both, but more notably with Tarkin.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  17. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    The PC re-creation was the single most anticipated element of this film for me, with him being among my all-time favorite actors. As such, I was thrilled to see it onscreen, tho it's not above criticism.

I was amazed at how much the image resembled him and yet how different it looked at the same time. It wasn't until I got home and looked at ANH again that I started to conclude that the real PC's features were sharper whereas his digital model's more rounded. I think that also gets to another comment I read in this thread about his nose appearing too big.

Whereas others have made the claim that the effect is distracting, I would sooner say it is compelling. I studied the work very, very closely whenever it was onscreen. The animation is very nearly there. Occasionally an eye squint or mouth curl stood out as a decision that should perhaps have been initiated a couple of frames earlier (or later). But overall the effect appears to have been very convincing. It's great to hear that many casual fans had no clue they weren't seeing a human face.

The voice work I am more critical of, as it seemed to hit the mark less often. I was scratching my head too, as Stephen Stanton has done a phenomenal job voicing the character on tv. All I can seem to find is that Guy Henry appears to have voiced him here. To me, it's inconceivable that they would go the lengths they have to re-create Peter Cushing and not take every step necessary to ensure the effect is as seamless as possible. I also wonder if it's not just me holding the film to a higher standard than the shows. Still, when they got it right (I think they may even have lifted a couple of actual PC utterances from ANH), it was mesmerizing!

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Guy Henry has a lot in common with Jason Isaacs. Their characters go from serving one Dark Lord (Voldemort) to another (Darth Sidious). Guy Henry played Pius Thicknesse in Deathly Hallows Parts 1 and 2. Jason Isaacs was, of course, Lucius Malfoy and the Grand Inquisitor.

Still waiting for a female Moff to appear onscreen: maybe Helena Bonham Carter bring some of Bellatrix's insanity over? :cool:

cwustudent and Iron_lord like this.
  19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Or Cate Blanchett as "Governor Pryce, Moff of the Lothal Sector"

20. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

Well, we did have Walter Donovan, I mean General Veers in The Empire Strikes Back.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    And Adolf Hitler AKA Admiral Ozzel.

Revanfan1, Darth Smurf and PCCViking like this.
  22. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    A female Moff, yeah seeing one onscreen in the film needs to happen at some point.

As for Tarkin, you could make the argument that his ruthlessness and "when in doubt, blow everything up and kill everyone" attitude towards dealing with problems, came back to bite him and the Empire ultimately. If he hadn't have destroyed the Scarif station, and killed Krennic in the process, then he might very well have learned about the weak spot (or at least Krennic would have addressed it himself) and been better prepared. But that, combined with his own overconfidence, ultimately led to not only the DS being destroyed, but his own death as well.

jaqen, PCCViking and Iron_lord like this.
  23. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

Also Porkins enlisted Top Men.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

I can't help but wonder if he was glad Krennic was on Scarif when he ordered the base's destruction. Even if Krennic had told him about the weakness, would Tarkin have listened? He didn't even listen to one of his men when informed about the Rebels' strategy in ANH.

25. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    I actually think that the fact he was there was part of the reason he fired on it. He could basically "kill two birds with one stone".

Seriously, you may have satisfying moments in your life, but none of us will ever have a more satisfying moment then being able to take out your political rival by literally aiming the Death Star right at them.