main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Deleted/Missing Scenes Thread!

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Avnar, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    I believe these two scenes must be somehow connected:

[​IMG]

crashed X-wing fighter in a street of Jedha

[​IMG]

X-Wing pilots being taken away by Imperial stormtroopers

Was there some kind of Alliance mission to Jedha previously

OR

are we finally looking at a segment from a "civil war", i.e. Imperial pilots that flew with their "Trainer-65", thought they could use the assignment to Jedha to defect to the Alliance but instead were shot down and/or apprehended?

Definitely a story I'd like to learn more about.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I would be very disappointed if they lived.

One cannot simply invade an Empire military base and just leave alive.

3. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I'm not sure TBH. In the Visual Guide, those X-wings belong to Saw's partisans, not the Alliance. So while that may once have been the case, I think in the film as it is now, it's either a recently downed partisan X-wing in the attack, or it's just a sign of the ongoing chaos in the war zone.

Apart from every other time the Rebels do it ;)

4. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    Which is why there was so much more emotion and stakes at the end of this movie, as opposed to TFA.

vncredleader likes this.
  5. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    Suffice it to say I'd pay a great deal of money (if I in fact had a great deal of money) for a viewing of the original cut of this movie. I hung my emotional hat on a few of these scenes and was counting on experiencing them.

6. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I thought TFA had plenty of emotion - just not as much as R1 did - but both are more emotional than any of the other films IMO.

7. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Big statement there.......... more than ESB?

Satipo likes this.
  8. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    There is no Imperial military base in TFA

9. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I also wonder if there is an "original cut" for anyone to see.

Avnar likes this.
  10. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    I think "emotional" as well is a pretty broad term, TFA certainly has a lot of scenes when characters are showing emotion but honestly I felt a lot of the time it was drama that simply hadn't been earnt.

11. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

a little off topic, but personally, i'd say ROTJ is the most emotional of them all. The thing ROTJ really really nails is Vader and Luke's interaction (which is nuts, considering Vader's voice and all the emotion that came with it, didn't come in until way after Mark did his scenes). Vader's internal conflict just oozes off the screen in multiple scenes.

AndyLGR likes this.
  12. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    Very true. I too thought they nailed the emotion of Star Wars in TFA and RO, maybe in time I'll think its up there with the end of Jedi or the Han carbonite / Vader reveal in Empire too.

13. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I've never found ESB emotional. It's my favourite film. But emotional? Not so much - or at least not in the same way that Han's death, or Galen's death and the Rogues' demise is. ROTJ is probably the next one, but again, for me, it's not emotional in the way that R1 and TFA are.

14. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    Interesting, the carbon freezing scene and Luke vs Vader get me every time. As does Hans death. I need to see RO again but on first viewing I thought the demise of the characters were handled very well.

15. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Don't get me wrong, those scenes are amongst the best in the saga - and I get chills from the Vader reveal. Different kind of feels for me though.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  16. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Agreed. R1 passed the Mako Mori test, which made it quite refreshing. It'd have been a good film even without the implied spark in the elevator. Imo, there wasn't enough chemistry between the characters to warrant the spark, despite the we're-all-gonna-die setting.

17. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    I couldn't find any info on the plans for the DVD release etc, but I'd really like to see a director's cut at some point. Considering the changes between different releases of OT were, it's not unlikely we might get something like that in the future.

18. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I think it is pretty unlikely. A. I think it's a misconception that there is an "original cut" floating out there. I think there are multiple previous cuts, just like there would be for any movie, but those cuts are probably no where near where they need or want it to be, which is part of the reason it didn't end up being the final cut.
    B. I don't know if SW does director's cuts. I guess were getting to the point where this is the first time we can ask about that. Lucas always got a pass on everything but those are just "special editions" or, as they're known now, the movie.
    I don't think we'll ever see a director's cut, or extended edition. Maybe if they do decide to do a different cut down the road they'll just pull a Lucas, call it a special edition, and just pretend like that was the movie as it was always supposed to be.

19. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    I was under the impression that the movie was more or less a done deal, in the final stages of production, when they opted for the re-shoots. According to what Edwards said at SWCE, after they took a look at it, they wanted to make it better.
    Rogue One is idiosyncratic and a trailblazer in many way, so maybe Disney decides to cash in on the fan interest in the original/extended concept if we don't call it a cut.

20. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    You're not counting Starkiller Base??

On another note - Since this is the "missing scenes" thread I wonder about missing characters... Did anyone spot Tam POSLA? He is a similar, but way better design of the Guavian Death Gang members from TFA. In the visual guide it says he is a bounty hunter on Jedha. I don't recall seeing him...

21. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    I wonder if originally it was Bodhi in that Tie Fighter. Instead of getting blown up in that convoluted power cord subplot which I suspect was added to separate the battle from Jyn and Cassian. Perhaps in the original ending he pulls up at the tower giving Jyn a chance to esacape but was then blown out of the sky.

22. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Okay maybe I missed this or it was already mentioned but K2-SO saying he wouldn't kill Jyn.

whostheBossk likes this.
  23. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    He said there's no Imperial base in TFA lol.

Martoto77 likes this.
  24. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I've been watching 25 Days of Christmas pretty consistently all month, and they're still showing A LOT of Rogue One commercials, and most, if not all of them contain several of these scenes, images, and lines that do not appear in the movie at all.

You would think they would at least clear that up now that the movie is out.

25. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    36 years on and the ESB trailer STILL has scenes of Threepio pulling a danger sign off a wampa pen and Luke's missing Phantom of the Opera scene. Aaaaargggh! ;)

whostheBossk and Larsonator like this.