main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Grand Moff Tarkin (Guy Henry and Peter Cushing) in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Bosskkkk, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Vasco_Rojo

Vasco_Rojo Jedi Master star 2

Apr 21, 2016
    I think Tarkin was overused and I did not care about the CGI, it was a distraction. They could have used a hologram or just show his back and the reflection on the glass.

But I think the worse part relates to one line or scene, the part when he apologizes to Kronic in front of all those other officers. That was really out of character.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Iamnoone

Iamnoone Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 23, 2015
    I was taken out the first time, but am totally ok with it on subsequent viewings. It would have been worse, in my opinion to have had another actor.

If I can live with Sonic the hedgehog style Yoda I can go with this. And Guy Henry was like 80% of the way there with the voice. Better than Stanton for me, whose Tarkin is good but some phrases are too drawn out for Tarkin.

3. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    See I felt like RO's Tarkin's voice and mannerisms were too off myself. But then again, Peter Cushing was such a particular kind of actor with his mannerisms, that it's next to impossible to replicate that. It feels like a puppet doing a Peter Cushing impression, at least to me.

4. RDeckard

RDeckard Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    I'm generally against adding things to completed films (i.e. special editions), but if there was some kind of anniversary, I wouldn't mind those in charge improving Tarkin in future releases of the film.

If you have a problem with CGI there's no recourse. CGI Tarkin is there. Might as well improve him.

5. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Oh I absolutely think that that was at least part of his reason for ordering that attack. It's like a situation where "well I need to take out the Rebels, but I can also take out my annoying rival in the process as well." A win/win from his POV. And yeah, it's possible that he might not have listened to Krennic about the DS (both because he was overconfident in it's invincibility and because it'd be Krennic specifically making the claim). But like I said, perhaps Krennic would have found a way to address the problem himself (or at least try to). Or told Vader about it instead.

6. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

Hmm, I don't think so, imo. Right after he apologizes, he immediately follows up with he's taking command of the Death Star and subverting Krennic. You could almost see his apology as a sarcastic "good on you, but too bad lol". Which is devious.

7. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    Absolutely. I thought the same. I personally loved seeing Tarkin in Rogue One. Not perfect CGI but pretty damn close.

8. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    Being an old school guy (and remember at 7 years old telling my Dad "poor Tarkin. I liked him." Yeah I was weird lol), I loved seeing "Peter Cushing" back as Tarkin. It was amazing and improved the movie for me. It would not have made much sense if he had a small role or cameo. It was not perfect CGI, but still damn impressive. I will take CGI Tarkin all day in a film.

Giovs, Anakin_Prime and Iron_lord like this.
  9. Rookhelm

Sep 22, 2014
    did Peter Cushing get any sort of credit in the movie, or just his "estate" (or other such language)?

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Thanks section had "With special acknowledgement to - Peter Cushing"

11. TurboPGT

TurboPGT Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 15, 2015
    It was indeed a little jarring at first...but I think that first scene just happened to be the worst. The rest of the scenes looked spectacular. Really enjoyed it.

12. Vasco_Rojo

Vasco_Rojo Jedi Master star 2

Apr 21, 2016
    Great point, thanks for sharing your opinion. I can see that and I agree with you now.

Still do not love the CGI : )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BB-8 My Homework likes this.
  13. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Tarkin is such a great villain in ANH, and so I felt let down by his characterization here. It's not about the CGI per se, just about how he was written, his movements, and the voice actor. So I guess that is in part the CGI lol. But the cartoon effect didn't bother me. I noticed it, but it wasn't so terrible that I focused on it. It just wasn't the Tarkin I know and love to hate from ANH. He wasn't a scary Nazi here. He was a generic, halfway nice guy (by my Tarkin standards, lol) neutering our villain for no good reason I could figure out. Maybe they didn't want to detract from Vader with scary, cold, a-hole Tarkin. I think Tarkin should have been used much less and it would have worked better.

14. Rookhelm

Sep 22, 2014

just a question (not an accusation), but could it be that you knew Tarkin was so..."manufactured", that led you to consider him "less than"? I don't mean CG specifically, but it's a reconstructed face, reconstructed voice, new lines, etc?

15. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    What's his name again?

Grand Moff "Rogue One Roast" Tarkin
    Grand Moff "Rebels Into Rubble" Tarkin
    Grand Moff "New Sheriff of Scarif" Tarkin
    Grand Moff "Funeral Dirge for the Starbird" Tarkin
    Grand Moff "Bleach the Beach" Tarkin
    Grand Moff "DEFCON 1 for Rogue One" Tarkin
    Grand Moff "She's Literally Stardust" Tarkin
    Grand Moff "Sweep Jyn Into the Dustbin" Tarkin
    Grand Moff "Turn Cass Into Glass" Tarkin
    Grand Moff "Add More Glass to the Beach" Tarkin
    Grand Moff "Make Rebels See the Light" Tarkin
    Grand Moff "Green is the Last Thing You've Seen" Tarkin
    Grand Moff "It's Orson's Fault That He's Asphalt" Tarkin
    Grand Moff "Krennic's Lot in Life is a Parking Lot" Tarkin

Darth_Pevra and PCCViking like this.
  16. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Hope for when i watch Rogue One in 2030, the CGI won't look dated, but it's hard of course.

17. Bosskkkk

Bosskkkk Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 18, 2012
    This may have already been mentioned...but was Tarkin too tall in Rogue One?

In A New Hope, he loos to be just under 6 foot when talking to other Imperials etc...

But in Rogue One, he's like 6 foot 7 or something - towering over everyone...

Did any one else catch that?

18. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Maybe that's in comparison to Krennic, who looks shorter. Or may just be the camera angle. Keep in mind Tarkin practically towered over Leia.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    Guy Henry's around 6'4", I think. Hence Tarkin's noticeable increase in height!

PCCViking likes this.
  20. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

You may have a point. Apparently, Cushing was 6'0"

Mungo Baobab likes this.
  21. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015

It's possible, but it didn't feel like that was the issue. I mean, I felt like his characterization in TCW (television show) was fine. I'm seeing R1 for the second time tonight and I've watched ANH since I last saw it. Maybe since it's all fresh I'll have a different take this time.

22. outerrimjaba

outerrimjaba Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2015
    Tarkin was a must for this movie. Reading "Catalyst", "Tarkin" and watching "Rebels" you know it would lead up to this epic movie. The whole of Tarkin's Imperial career was centered on the pacification of the outer rim to supply this logistical beast of a project.

The Death Star was the embodiment of his philosophy of Galactic Imperial Rule.

Krennic was but a useful speed bump along the way of his assuming command. The Tarkin novel solidified his place at the Triumvirate level Vader and Sheev.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  23. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    the CGI was great. dont know why people are complaining. the voice not so much but i could live with it.

especially loved they put a special mention to peter cushing in the credits.

24. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I was okay with the CGI, it never took me out of the movie. Heck even the voice acting didn't bother me.

25. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    and its just delicoius how he steals the DS from krennic.

Darth_Pevra and MeBeJedi like this.