main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Discussion Thread -- Untagged Spoilers Within

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Dec 13, 2016.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah. The actress they used as Leia's "base" I don't think had quite the right face-shape and something was off with the cheeks. It wasn't too bad, but not nearly as accurate as Tarkin. But yeah, they probably could have done just the glimpse from the back or her reflection in the view-port.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I saw it for a second time today, normal 3D this time instead of IMAX laser 3D and I didn't get as much uncanny valley with Tarkin this time as I did the first time. I don't know if it was because I was expecting it or if the method of watching changes how it looks. I'll have to see it in 2D and see then. That being said, it really doesn't bother me that much, I am worried how he's going to look in a few years when technology advances and the special effects start looking really fake.

Leia really doesn't bother me at all, but probably because it's so quick and she only has one line. And that line chokes me up quite a bit, so I think that makes me feel better about it.

I still didn't see the Gonk (I've been on the look out). :( But I know where it is now, so next time!

3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I got my hands on the novelisation and read it yesterday while aunt-sitting. There's a lot of Bodhi and Baze POV in there, which made me very happy because these two are my favourite characters. There's also a reasonable-ish explanation as to what the Tantive IV is doing inside the Profundity during the battle of Scarif.

There's also quite a bit of Krennic POV that makes the man even more disgusting than on screen. He's really the Eichmann of Star Wars.

4. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm tempted, but I know I need to save the novelization to kill some time at my mom's. However, I was reading the Darth Vader Mustafar scene (for research), which is written from Krennic's POV and it made me just laugh and love how much I get to hate this loser (I'm using Chyntuck terminology).

However, Ben Mendelsohn is now one of my favourite new Star Wars actors, along with Riz Ahmed. I can't link it due to one murmured disallowed word, but youtube "Rogue one Stars Answer the Web's Most Searched Questions". I laughed so hard.

Kahara and Chyntuck like this.
  5. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Although the size of the galaxy under Disney was more starkly shrunken in TFA, I am more used to it this time, and now it seems that the alacrity with which Alliance reinforcements got from Yavin to Jyn's "pitiful little band" on Derra Scarif, warrants little more than a meh Fridge Logic moment.

6. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I don't know if this was already discussed or not. I remember, before Rogue One came out, watching the Duracell commercial that teamed up with Rogue One and the children's Miracle Network to help kids. They have little kids dressed like the characters in the movies and they are delivering SW presents to sick boys and girls. Nice commercial until I saw the movie and realized those little kids were portraying characters who died horrible deaths in the film.

That commercial no longer has the same upbeat feel to it.

jcgoble3 and mavjade like this.
  7. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    In Legends (or at least one of the Legends versions), weren't the DS1 plans beamed from Toprawa? The Battle of Derra was right before Hoth.

I've seen RO twice, and it was definitely easier for me to follow the second time. I'm also glad I read Catalyst beforehand, otherwise I would have been confused with the very beginning with the Ersos and Krennic.

But like the oddball I am, my favorite takeaways were, "Rebel Fleet Troopers get their first-ever lines of dialogue! YAY!" and "Captain Antilles gets screentime and non-throat-constricted dialogue! YAY!" and "Red Leader! Gold Leader! And Y-wings are actually bombing something! YAY!!!" I want the DVD so I can look for background pilots on Yavin. I could've sworn I saw a promo photo with Janson's helmet visible...

I also liked that some of the details blended in so well with ANH. Like when Capt. Antilles told Vader in ANH that they intercepted no transmissions, he's telling the truth. It was the Mon Cal ship that intercepted the transmission, not the Tantive IV. :p

I still feel bad for those fleet troopers that Vader plowed through. :( Despite that, though, I'm glad we got the grittier SW war movie that focused on regular, non-Jedi people. Chirrut was the Force-Sensitive exception, but he was cool. :)

Kahara and brodiew like this.
  8. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005

Derra IV was Hoth. In Legends it was two main plans: Toprawa and Danuta.

9. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Mm. Toprawa. That sounds familiar. Will have to recheck my sources. Possible that both came from radio serials, and I am confusing the two.

EDIT: Yes, you two are right. My mind associated Derra with the ESB radio serial, which I am more familiar with, but I convinced myself I was mistaken.
    Derra was the other half of Rogue Flight, Renegade Flight, ambushed to **** by...TIE fighters?

10. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I'm curious, does anybody have an answer for the Tantive IV issue yet?

11. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Putting this behind a spoiler tag because it's from the novelisation.
    The Tantive IV is docked inside the Profundity for repairs when Bail says that he'll send Leia to collect Obi-Wan from Tatooine. When the news of the Rogue One team reaches Yavin IV and the badass Mon Cal admiral decides to fight, she gets taken along for the ride and completes her repairs bang on time to escape with the plans.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  12. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I finally saw it this morning. :D

It was a really good movie. The lack of the opening crawl at the beginning felt weird, but I get why they did it. The CGI Tarkin was interesting; I personally thought they pulled it off nicely, but it was certainly noticeable, and it's one of those things that we'll look back in a few years and say, "Why did they think that would work?!" But for now, it does work. CGI Leia, on the other hand, did NOT come off as well as Tarkin, and she immediately broke my suspension of disbelief.

The lead characters were an interesting crew. I appreciate that they made a point of showing a Force-user that was not a Jedi or a Sith. However, I couldn't keep track of their names, and in the end the only lead characters I could name are Jyn Erso and K2SO (plus Saw Gerrera, but he's more of a supporting character). Speaking of Saw, the references to Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels were nice to see; the Rebels lead ship, the Ghost, is flying with the Rebel fleet, and Chopper is visible in one scene on Yavin 4. There's also a page over the PA system at one point for "General Syndulla", presumably Hera Syndulla.

Finally, unlike some others here, the "kill everyone" ending was not something I saw coming. I suspect that ending will make a subsequent watching of ANH different, in that before now we only had the vague words of the opening crawl to tell us about this battle, but now we know the sheer amount of death and destruction suffered to get those plans. Watching ANH right after Rogue One will, I think, make us realize the Rebellion's desperation to not only destroy the Death Star, but also to prevent those sacrifices from being in vain.

Overall, I give it about an 8.5 out of 10. It's an excellent movie that feels like Star Wars, but has its flaws (CGI Tarkin/Leia, inability to connect with the lead characters). In the end, however, it's better than the prequel trilogy, and that's all I really care about for a Star Wars movie.

Kahara and Gamiel like this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What it was is his personal spa, and he was in it because it was spa-night.

Kahara likes this.
  14. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007

Spa Night [face_rofl] He should have invited the Emperor to it; unless the Emperor declined or had to take a rain check because he was busy.

That would be funny!

But seriously, I did some research and read a couple of articles and apparently it is a bacta tank and it was apparently leaking purposely (probably in universe to create an air of mystery and hide the occupant and out of universe to make the viewers curious and hide the occupant's identity). Reportedly the reason for the steam was to hide the fact the only thing Vader had on was the breathing mask and since none of his limbs were attached it makes sense that the bacta would have to be drained away to remove Vader from the tank since he doesn't have the physical means to do it himself.

But seriously, someone should write a fic with Vader and the Emperor having a spa night or something else to relax.

Kahara and Jedi_Lover like this.
  15. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

Not sure if this counts, but I wrote a thing where Tarkin is very fond of spa treatments, back in February.

Kahara, leiamoody and Lady_Misty like this.
  16. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Oh dear. Now I'm picturing Palpy, Tarkin and Vader smoking hookahs in a Turkish bath with a towel wrapped around their hips. I'm not sure I needed this image in my head...

Kahara, Jedi_Lover, yahiko and 3 others like this.
  17. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I sae R1 for the 3rd time tonight and cried so hard when it got to the end. I was trying to prepare myself but it didn't work, seeing Carrie Fisher, even as a digital recreation, just did me in.

On the other hand, what I really noticed this time was the music and I realized I love it! Also, there are some shots that are just so beautiful. I think my favorite is when the star destroyer emerges out of the shadows (of the Death Star??). Man, it's so well shot.

Chyntuck and Lady_Misty like this.
  18. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Mr Chyntuckopoulos and I have been talking about going again, because he's seen it only once, but we've been holding back because of that. There's an irony to the fact that Carrie Fisher passed away just days after we got to see a rejuvenated version of her on screen that's just... awkward. But I think we'll go tomorrow anyway. A re-watch of R1 is just a good way to start the year.
    Me too! The music really grew on me in the second and third viewing. I think I was just thrown off-balance by the lack of the classic fanfare the first time, but now I love it -- particularly the bit on Jedha when we see all those panoramas of crumbling Jedi statues, and of course during the final battle.

I also agree that the photography is amazing, and being able to take it in is a reason not to see the film in 3D. 3D distracts you from the big picture, and this film simply doesn't need that.

mavjade likes this.
  19. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Watched it for a second time yesterday with my family and at least my parents didn't think Vader moved like Vader; they said he had a swagger to him that they didn't like and Jean said she didn't like how the suit fit whoever was wearing it (I think she said it looked like it bunched up in a few places). Some family members thought Tarkin looked too severe and didn't care for the CGI Princess Leia.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

20. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Perhaps after a day at the spa Vader feels refreshed giving him a swagger in his step. :p Honestly, that could be the reason for the Bacta scene. It might explain away why Vader is a little more spry in this movie.

21. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005

I saw that scene as well (it's freaking rampant over on many Star Wars Facebook sites) and I didn't like how Vader moved in it, either. It may be because I'm so used to the lumbering bad*** Vader, but he moved way too fluidly for my liking.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  22. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I want to see it again, too, but I need to shake this cold first. I don't want to cough my way through the movie & tick off everyone else.

"We must (cough cough cough) get the pl(COUGH COUGH cough cough)ans before (Cough COUGH cough)..." :p

Lady_Misty, Gamiel and Ewok Poet like this.
  23. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Maybe the swagger comes from the belief that the Empire has the upper hand so securely that there is no chance the Rebels are going to get away with these shenanigans. We are used to seeing him in the OT, so there he is facing a more daunting fight - plus you have the added inner conflict then of knowing that his son is in the battles he's fighting.

Edit: In the same vein, I wasn't a fan of the wisecrack he made to Krennic. I thought it was OOC. I would think Vader would consider Krennic an annoyance that he (Vader) has to put up with, unworthy of his time.

I absolutely loved all the cameos. I recognized your foul stench General Dodonna right away. It got me looking for Biggs and I am sure I saw a glimpse of him, but maybe not.

I guess this makes Anthony Daniels the only character who has appeared in every single Star Wars film?

Kahara, Lady_Misty and Ewok Poet like this.
  24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I don't think I'll be seeing it in theatres again. I feel like I was pretty accepting to Carrie Fisher's death (I was watching some of her comedy stuff last night) but I'm not sure if I'm ready to see that young version of Princess Leia again with that single word of 'hope'.

Regarding Vader, I remember laughing to myself at the swagger. It was indeed just an odd choice for the movements. Not even Hayden Christensen swaggered as Anakin. But I didn't mind the costume. It was made to basically replicate the episode IV Vader and they did a great job.

divapilot likes this.
  25. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    My sister Jean said the wisecrack was something Anakin would says and thinks that it shows that despite his denials he is still Anakin Skywalker under his suit and black, icy exterior.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

jcgoble3 likes this.