main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph In Town With a Few Days to Kill: The Prey-dator Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, Jun 24, 2014.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think there's a lot they could do with exploring facets of a hunter-based species that has encountered mankind throughout it's existence. Heck, the best parts of P2 were the moments that shed insight into their culture and code of honor. TNG did something similar with the Klingons.

What they really need to do, though, is go all in and move the series beyond a modern day setting. Either do a period film set during WW2, the Viking age or feudal Japan (or a series of films set in different periods) where you explore their interactions with our past (actually, a prequel film that ultimately explains the origin of the gun they give Danny Glover would be an awesome little connection- you might even be able to use Glover in a framing story) or go into the future concurrent with the Aliens universe and explore their role in that timeframe where you might be able to draw connections to the broader Prometheus/playing gods/picking up the tools of fallen gods angle.

But what they do need to do is try to stop retreading P1. Yes, have "those moments" but the "same thing, different guy" approach were what made the sequels less appealing than the original, despite the parts they had that distinguished them.

P1 is one of the greatest action films ever made, so it's understandable why they'd want to imitate it so closely but being so conservative with their approach has limited things. P3, to its credit, at least tried to open things up with the game planet and clan blood feuds, even if that gets lost amongst too many "homage" moments.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

It wasn't a space opera. The creators and the author of the novelization for the second film, laid out the basics of what the Predators were. That they were very honorable creatures who will only hunt during times of extreme heat and conflict on various worlds. That they won't kill those who aren't a threat, ill, females that are pregnant and children in general. They reward those who succeed in besting one and punish those who fail. In an earlier draft, the Predator in the second film wasn't killed by Harrigan. But he was killed by the clan leader for his failure to achieve a victory. The first film was made with the intention of the creature being much different and its motivations were largely unexplored. In crafting a sequel, the Thomas brothers needed to go beyond what had been done in the first film. Dark Horse Comics ran with what was in the film and the novelization, when they created the Expanded Universe for that particular franchise.

rumsmuggler, BigAl6ft6 and TX-20 like this.
  3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    FB teaser image apparent announcing the title: The Predator.

"Here we go again, bro."

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6, VadersLaMent and TX-20 like this.
  4. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Thanks to the success of Deadpool, the chances of this film being Hard R just got a lot better.

King Willie says: "Not only do I have to kill you, I have to take your soul."

BigAl6ft6 and The2ndQuest like this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I was a fan of Predators (one of the first blu rays I bought) and I liked it's concept of Predators drag unsuspecting saps to another jungle world to hunt them down. And it has some effective scenes in it. But take away the window dressing it's about as "back to basics" as you can get, while Shane Black has a great way of upending conventions and expectations.

Titles are getting way confusing, though. Just go full on subtitle!

Predator
    Predator 2
    Predators
    The Predator

(and there's also Alien vs Predator and Alien vs Predator: Requiem. which I still view as canon for both franchises, by golly, no matter how many times people who make the movies say they aren't.)

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, if you're speaking of subtle title changes amounting to confusion, it's actually "Aliens vs Predator: Requiem" ;).

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Some casting details.

So far we have Boyd Holbrook, Trevante Rhodes (playing best friends and ex-marines) & Olivia Munn announced and the setting being more subirban than the other films. They're still keeping other details under wraps however.

8. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
  9. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    It just needs Jai Courtney to be a perfect winner.

Juke Skywalker and dp4m like this.
  10. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    For what it's worth, Trevante Rhodes was pretty great in Moonlight.

11. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    How was Olivia Munn in X-Men? Still haven't gotten to that one.
    [​IMG]

12. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Not familiar with the cast so far, but I don't know that we need a lot of "names" here. They'll probably ink a few familiar faces before its all said and done, though. The idea of a suburban setting has interesting potential, and after a few set in the jungle (even if one was alien) and one in an urban environment, it's probably the best place to go.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Wasn't AVPR set in the suburbs? What's that you say? That movie doesn't exist you say? Why that's marvelous I say!

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  14. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003

Don't know about the suburban setting, but my faith is in Black.

15. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004

I haven't had the (mis)fortune of seeing that particular gem :p.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    AVPR was more rural/small town than suburbia.

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I assume there's a good reason to set it in the suburbs that would make sense for a Predator to go hunting there. I know that there have been similar type stories published by Dark Horse during the 90's, so I would assume it would be possible.

18. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Setting it on a ship in open water would get really claustrophobic. Could be tense.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  19. twowolves

twowolves Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2013
    At least it's not that hack Sam Raimi directing. He ruined the Sword of Truth series, and it seems whatever he lays hands on turns to over-the-top, half-baked crap. Hollywood needs to revoke his card.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  21. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    [​IMG]

Healer_Leona likes this.
  22. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

That's a delightfully random tirade against a Hollywood talent. Almost delightfully random as Soccer Mom Vs Predator.

I say bring on the suburban slaughter!

23. twowolves

twowolves Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2013
    I wouldn't say talent. Remember Xena? Hercules? Young Hercules? Cleopatra 2525? Legend of the Seeker? Quantity does not always equal quality. I merely was remarking that I was glad he didn't lay hands on it. Otherwise, we'd probably have the Predator facing off against dinosaurs and amazon women.

24. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I could see that working well in the right hands.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing them give an urban environment another try. I don't think Predator 2 made the best use of it, and besides I think it would work better in a more "vertical" city than the flat and spread out LA.

25. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002

HOA-ians vs. Predator. Which will be a definite hit, seeing HOA council members getting their heads blown up and skin peeled off by an alien hunter.