main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit One Canon - Merging Legends and the New Canon - TFA spoilers, very much so

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Jan 8, 2016.

1. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Sinrebirth: Congratulations!

By the way, when do you think they tested the DS on Despayre? I guess it was before Scariff, as it would take too much time for moving there for a field test after R1.

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    That's a useful point, but your mileage may vary. At the same time the Rebels attacked the Death Star at Horuz when it was not ready... I'd be inclined to say that it was attacked at Horuz and then it was moved to
    Jedha
    and then back to Horuz for the final full test for one reason -
    the superlaser dish was fitted in the film.

Thoughts, Darth Caliban?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darth Caliban likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Death Star did fire the superlaser at the Rebel carrier, during the Rebel attack at Horuz.

Daneira likes this.
  4. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    Could it be that the empire has another prototype of the superlaser that was later built into the DS2? Maybe that was tested on Despayre.

Maybe the DS2 was relocated to Endor only shortly before ROTJ. If so, i wonder how they transported this huge installation. What do you think?

Edit: Or maybe the Tarkin was constructed and was tested on Despayre.

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Between
    Tarkin taking over the project, and heading to Scarif, it returned to Horuz to avoid the Senate.

Daneira and Darth Caliban like this.
  6. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    By the way, what do you all think happened to the Whills during the Yuuzhan Vong Invasion?

7. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Which ones?

8. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    I guess the Guardians from Jeddha and the Shamans are of the same order and the Whills are still out there after the destruction of the holy city.

Maybe Luke knew of them and even warned them in time of the Vong. Do you think they joined the fight or simply went into hiding?

Sinrebirth likes this.
  9. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    You're assuming any
    survived the GCW, surely?

Darth Caliban likes this.
  10. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    Yes, i think that's a given. Didn't Lucas say that R2 told the Whills about what happened during the Trilogies?

11. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Well, where there's a Whill there's a way. :p

12. adve

adve Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2016
    I mostly ignore the new canon-but I do merge a bit.

Basically my headcanon involves everything in the EU except Fate of the Jedi and Legacy of the Force. Screw Disneyverse.

13. adve

adve Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2016
    True. Vong war was my absolute favorite part of Star Wars as a whole. I actually might not be a fan if the EU didn't exist.

14. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    How would Krennic play into the Death Star project? Legends had Tarkin in charge of the DS from the beginning of the Empire. Even RotS supports that.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  15. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    The same role he has in Canon. Muscling his way into the project and Tarkin, in Rogue One,
    taking it over; tactically letting Krennic shoulder the risks.

16. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

I wonder how he would fit in with the Maw Installation, assuming he would even know about it, of course.

17. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I doubt Tarkin let him know at all. He may even have ran the prototype as his own proof of concept to weave double the trap under Krennic. Krennic underestimates Tarkin's connection with Vader and Sidious, very much so.

18. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    A thought that came to me: Could it be that Palpatines Operations in the Unknown Regions and the Establishment of Starkiller Base were at least partly planned as a defense against the YV.

The abbility to destroy multible highly protected targets as worldships or entire conquered star systems would make sense in the empires point of view in an war effort against the Vong.

19. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Definitely so, if it turns out Palpatine started construction of the Starkiller.

That being said Rax seems to have followed some kind of 'post-death plan' when moving ships to the Unknown Regions and digging on Jakku.

Darth Caliban and PCCViking like this.
  20. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    As soon as I finish reading the Corellian Trilogy, I'm going to do a re-read of Catalyst, Rogue One, and Death Star, to see, despite "canon vs Legends" how they might complement each other.

21. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I' just happen to be at the X-Wing novels in my Legends reread and I love seeing the parallels and compliments.

PCCViking likes this.
  22. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

If you've read Aftermath: Life Debt, then you'll see a parallel with certain events in Books 2 and 3 of the X-Wing series.

23. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I did listen to the audiobook (read the first one) but I honestly can't remember much of anything from the two Aftermath books. BUT having that pointed out to me, what I do remember I can kind of see a parallel. Mainly between Isard and Rax.

24. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

I wasn't just referring to Isard and Rax. Pay close attention to Wedge and Norra Wexley.

25. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Despayre build-Jedha film-Despayre attack by Fortressa-Scarif-Despayre full superlaser test.

That's how it's going in my mind.

In my mind Bail, Mon (and Garm) were acting without full Alliance support or knowledge when it came to the Death Star, precisely for the reason that they knew the Alliance would fragment.

They had been on it, with Starkiller, after all.

Which is why in the film we see Bail and Mon making plans without the Alliance Council involving Kenobi and Leia, regardless of whether Rogue One acted or not.

Head Canon? Mon and Bail were already collecting pieces of the Death Star plans before Jyn entered the scene.