main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ROTJ ending music - "Yub Nub" or "Victory Celebration"?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Darth Philosophical, Nov 19, 2015.

?

Which ending score do you prefer?

1. Yub Nub (1983 - 1993 OST version)

9.9%
  2. Yub Nub (1983 film version)

23.6%
  3. Victory Celebration (1997 SE)

66.5%
  1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yub Nub is too silly for my taste. Vic Celeb is OK, kind of new age generic epic music.

2. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    It's legendary and fits SO much better.

11-4D likes this.
  3. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I used to vastly prefer Galactic Celebration, since it seemed much more fitting for the end of a saga-and for me it was one of the best changes.

But now, I kind of feel like I wouldn't mind Yub-Nub, cos I now see ROTJ in a different light due to the ST: no longer as a finale, but rather simply another part of the story in a long saga, A part which closes out one period, but is not by any means an ending. That allows for a less "all-encompassing, universal celebration IMO."

Although if I had to choose just ONE between the two, I would still stick with Galactic Celebration, simply cos I like it better.

4. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    I agree. That transition to the end credits is awkward and sloppy.

5. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    I voted for the victory celebration. To me the Batlle of Endor didn't just represent a Rebel victory but a decisive blow, a watershed event that led to the toppling of the entire governmental system. Despite the cuteness of the Ewoks (ugh...) the original release just didn't capture the scale of the victory, nor the extensive ramifications. Now, I don't think that instantaneously all those worlds just started throwing a party, however the victory celebration demonstrated that the Battle of Endor was the key turning point that signaled Rebel Alliance victory over the Galactic Empire... recognized by all across the galaxy...

6. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Go with Yub Nub from the original. It preserves the intimacy of the Rebels. With the new version we see these far off planets being liberated that detract from the sense of community you get in the forests with the Ewoks.

7. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    WookieMechanic by the way correction it was a moon not a planet the Ewoks lived on.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Merged identical threads, moved to Star Wars and Film Music.

9. WookieMechanic

WookieMechanic Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2016
    yeah sorry I meant, forrest moon of endor. I also meant to say Tatooine is in the outer rim not outskirts.

10. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I always hated the Yub Nub ending, so when they changed it for the SE, I was happy. For me, the old ending caps the [ridiculous] film that is Jedi. The new ending caps the saga.

11. Starwarsguy777

Starwarsguy777 Jedi Youngling

Nov 29, 2016
    Victory Celebration is a decent song.

12. RDeckard

RDeckard Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Victory Celebration. It more encompasses the scope of the victory.

Strilo likes this.
  13. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I like both, and don't really have a favorite, but I think I'm a little more familiar with Victory Celebration.

14. fl00dsm0k3

fl00dsm0k3 Jedi Knight

Nov 3, 2012
    I love the victory celebration, and think the scene in the 97 version was by far the best

15. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Victory Celebration all the way. Yub Nub didn't feel powerful enough for the end of a 6 movie saga at all.

16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Victory Celebration. I enjoy both but VC better encompasses the feeling of triumph after 6 films IMO

oierem and Darthman92 like this.
  17. Rancor Keeper

Rancor Keeper Jedi Master star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Yes it's sappy and silly, but I have a soft place in my heart for Yub Nub. It fit the mood and the setting better imho.

18. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    The Victory Celebration song is one of my favourite John Williams pieces.

19. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

That is an interesting point. The original version did keep things local, while the revised version took a wider look at what the battle meant for the Galaxy. Since I mostly see ROTJ in chronological movie marathons, I tend to prefer the latter, since watching all the movies together makes the Star Wars world feel bigger with more scope. (I also like the new music far better.)

On the other hand, the revised version feels more like a finale ending, while the original doesn't as much. Given that we now know with the sequel trilogy being made that ROTJ is not the end of the story, is the less bombastic ending the better call?

20. Balaaa

Balaaa Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2016
    I love Yub Nub but Victory Celebration is much more epic and it wraps up the whole saga much better.

21. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i liked yub nub better and i'm sure it's because i was an 80s child (it was absorbed when i was like 4-5). it is kind of silly, but well the ewoks were in most of the movie already so no point in trying to pull away that silliness at the last minute (don't back out now lol). however, the ewoks in a way represent what everyone is fighting for. they are small almost childlike innocent creatures (the underdog), the very thing the empire brutally tramples upon without a second thought (it sees them as so insignificant; no reverence for life). i didn't need to see the rest of the galaxy celebrate, because the ewoks could speak for everyone lol.

not to mention, the rebels kind of owe them as i'm not sure they'd have gotten that shield down without the ewoks. the ewoks fought and sacrificed for this, and i couldn't stand watching them be trampled by imperial walkers or hit with blaster fire. but they helped save the galaxy and it's only fitting to be drawn up in their celebration. they were an occupied world; when they see the death star blown up in the sky, they are overjoyed (they may be primitive but they knew they were being oppressed). and you know that they aren't the only world that has been suffering like this; their liberation is everyone's liberation. i was fully in support of ending things on their terms with their celebratory silly music.

22. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    "Yub Nub," always. It even matches the tone of the Ewok scenes better because of what we have seen before that.

23. Skywalker Family

Skywalker Family Jedi Master star 3

Mar 15, 2017
    Victory Celebration that song feels more like a celebration song. To be fair I am more use to it since my childhood was the George edits. I have heard the Yub Nub song but it doesn't sound the same to me. I just don't connect with that song playing as we see the other planets celebrating.

24. Microsoft Edgy

Microsoft Edgy Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2017
    I've seen the originals and the SE's and as much as I love to hate on the SE's I have no choice but to choose Victory Celebration. The reason for which is because it takes itself seriously but not too seriously. Yub Nub is ok for an OST but in the end it makes the ending feel very bland and silly.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  25. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    Yub Nub for me. Victory Celebration is fine, certainly one of the classier changes to the films, but I love crazy energy and as someone else said, the "local" feel of the pre-SE ending. Yub Nub playing over the Ewok celebration and building to a crescendo as all of the heroes gather, to me that has a festive (certainly not less-upbeat as an early post suggested) and at the same time, intimate vibe to it that is perfect to go out on even if it is a bit oddball. It helps Star Wars feel more 'otherly' and alien, like the cantina music in the original film.

Of course, I prefer Return of the Jedi's original ending across the board, so the fact that Victory Celebration may fit the galactic scope better doesn't give it many points in the choosing contest, at least not for me. I like it local, "Keep Endor Weird."

JawaShuffle likes this.