main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Smack My Switch Up: The Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (was: NX)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 18, 2015.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So it looks like the first year is structured like this:

March/Launch: Zelda

Summer (I would guess mid-late/May): Splatoon 2

Holiday (I would guess November): Mario Odyssey

And we'll probably get Mario Kart 8 port at launch I would wager, plus things like Skyrim and LEGO City in between, if not at launch.

Xenoblade 2 I wouldn't expect until late 2018 at the earliest. Fire Emblem Warriors might actually hit by holiday too (could be the December release window).

It will take some time for me to get used to the idea of paying for online multiplayer. Nintendo has spoiled us with that for the last decade.

2. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    My random guess is that Skyrim will probably be after E3, that they'll announce a launch date there. Probably something to pass the time until Odyssey is ready.

There's a 8 Deluxe trailer, but no date so not sure it'll be ready in time for launch. I would hope by summer it would be ready, but who knows at this point. The trailer on Youtube looks nice but nothing too new, just the same good Mario Kart action.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    EDIT- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is confirmed for April 28th.

This just looks gorgeous. It's games like this that make me momentary question going full-2D with my dream adventure/RPG game and instead doing a 2D/3D hybrid.

And, of course, Zelda:

EDIT- IGN has the accessory prices... and, holy crap, these controllers are pretty expensive...

• Nintendo Switch Pro Controller -- $69.99
    • Joy-Con Controller Sets -- $79.99
    • Individual L/R Joy-Con Controllers -- $49.99
    • Joy-Con Charging Grip -- $29.99
    • Nintendo Switch Dock Set -- $89.99
    • Joy-Con Wheel (Set of 2) -- $19.99
    Mario Party/Mario Kart will be hella expensive if you're going to fully deck-out your rig... I mean, assuming they can be played with only one Joy-Con, you're looking at a minimum of $80. $210 for a trip Pro setup. $330 for a trip Joy-Con/Grip setup.

Throw in an extra Dock for extra rooms/travel and that adds up to more than a new system.

EDIT- "Xenoblade 2" is actually "Xenoblade Chronicles 2", which clears up the numbering confusion with XBC & XBCX.

Man, there's something about Monolith and these games where they really give you a sense of depth and scale I've rarely seen in other games. I wonder if they do something with the camera and depth of field effects to ratchet things up.

EDIT 2- Other tech details:
    -Internal storage will be 32GB (some of which will be used for the OS)
    -Memory expandable with Micro SD cards.

Jedi Ben and Corellian_Outrider like this.
  4. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

Jeez, a port of a relatively old Wii U game isn't coming out until over a month after launch?

I'm excited for the Switch, but given the distinct lack of launch content it really feels like Nintendo are forcing the system out too early, expecting Breath of the Wild to be enough to win people over.

EDIT: Apparently Nintendo stocks fell 6% during the conference. Ouch...

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nintendo's spacing out their 1st party releases, probably to avoid a dry spell gap like what affected the Wii U between launch and Pikmin 3/MK8.

March= Zelda (and probably ARMS & 1-2-Switch), April = MK8, May = Splatoon 2 (probably) ... Sept (or Nov) = Mario O, Dec = FE Warriors. With the other 3rd party games spread out.

We also have game case pics. Looks like the size is smaller given that they're not on discs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They're very colorful for cases that are without color, lol.

EDIT- Bowser is a great parent, in case you ever questioned him.

Doesn't turn the game off mid-race on his kid. Clearly he's so evil afteralll.

6. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    For some reason… elements of Super Mario Odyssey reminds me of Mario Is Missing SNES game and also the pole swinging move from the Donkey Kong '94 GB game.

Also, there is LEGO City Undercover for those that never played the Wii U version. The game is great fun.

Life likes this.
  7. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Good news: it launches on my birthday!

Bad news: not really excited about the launch games. Not the biggest Zelda fan, so I might just hold out for now and not buy at launch.

8. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I thought I was the only one who remembered that, what was the term, edutainment game. Something about the sight of a Mario brother running through a city did remind me of that ancient game. Just with less silly trivia questions. And more Mario of course as he was missing in that game and instead it was Luigi running around. Not that was exactly a good first game for Luigi to star in.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  9. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I admire what Nintendo are going for with this console, but at launch it feels like an incomplete product. We have a bare minimum of good launch titles (Zelda being the saving grace) while the Switch equivalent of Virtual Console won't be ready until late 2017. I'm not feeling the urgency with this console. It sounds like a very nice Christmas gift above all things.

10. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    It does. Mainly because I'm confident in my belief that the original plan was to have a Christmas release. Skyrim, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Odyssey, Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Splatoon sounds like a pretty good launch month. But it makes for a barren launch year.

I've been hearing from a few places that Nintendo brought the release forward at last minute so that the Switch would release at the end of this Japanese financial year. This would also explain little things like making the underwhelming looking 1, 2 Switch, a game that looks like it was intended to be bundled with the console similar to Wii Sports, a fully priced launch title.

I think I'll be grabbing a copy of Zelda, before it flies off the shelves and becomes difficult to find, and waiting to get a Switch.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's also interesting that we didn't hear about Mario Maker or Smash Bros, as both were said be in development for a Switch port alongside MK8 and Splatoon (though the latter was actually a full sequel as we now know).

Mario Maker's silence makes sense, as they don't want to eat away at the 3DS port sales just launching, but I'm surprised they didn't mention Smash as that would seem like an obvious title to get out in time for the holidays.

The whole launch lineup, so far, seems to serve two functions:

1) Get the hardcore fans serviced with initial shipments so that they can focus on a robust holiday.

2) Avoid the 6 month title drought that crippled the Wii U launch window (thus, Zelda, Splatoon 2 and others being spread out in a normal release pattern in the March-fall timespan) in that timefrme while making sure they have a strong title selection in time for the holidays.

12. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Mario Odyssey looks so good.

I hope Playtonic can get Yooka Laylee on Switch by holiday.

13. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009

If these ports do exist, and are slated for a 2017 release, then they might be announced on the Treehouse livestream.

It seems that, Skyrim and BotW notwithstanding, Nintendo wanted to focus on Switch exclusives at the main reveal event instead of making it look like a hardware revision for the Wii U.

14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah a combination of nothing to assuage fears of lukewarm mobile participation and nothing to suggest a legitimate reversal of fortunes in coordination with third parties will do that. If I'm a stockholder at this point I'm maybe getting frustrated they keep participating in the dumb console race game rather than getting them sweet pachinko dollars.

But I'm not, so for me there are enough interesting titles I'll be keeping my eye on it, at least.

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The only thing I'm unsure of is relying on the analog stick being the primary movement. I got myself a Wii U a couple of months ago and I've mostly been relying on the D pad over the analog stick. I guess using the Switch's Pro Controller will alleviate that.

16. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I found it rather telling that Princess Peach is Bowser's cell phone wallpaper.

BotW continues to look like a killer app. Unfortunately, I won't be able to afford BotW on either platform anytime soon, though I never get hardware on launch anyway.

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, not sure about either of these:

Neither of those is good - especially the memory, which is where Nintendo failed on the Wii U and they look to be repeating it again - 32GB with downloading games is nothing and saying you can expand with micro SD card misses the point that it should be more.

18. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    All right, I'll eat my humble pie: I'm into this.

Give me a good Metroid game now. :p

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Treehouse Live archive video is up now:

Gonna start skimming it but it is 5 hours long so I might have to space it out a bit... ;)

Some other news that is a kind of a bummer but not a total surprise- the Switch will not be utilizing Miiverse. I guess without the GamePad screen to empower the artist community on there and the lack of direct back-and-forth access (unless you're in portable mode) it was a little less useful to use- plus the capture button would render the screenshot functionality redundant or obsolete anyways.

Still, it seemed to be one of the few things about the U that was universally praised for its focus, so it's unfortunate that it'll end up a casualty of the upgrade.

On a more positive note, there'll be a Fire Emblem Nintendo Direct on Wednesday at 5PM EST. Will likely focus on FE Warriors, though information of the FE mobile and Fates DLC content are possibilities as well.

Also, Reggie hints at hope for Mother 3 and Metroid next year.

"So I have nothing to announce - here. But we are aware that there are some key IP that consumers just can't wait for the next true instalment in that franchise's legacy. Suffice it to say, we're aware of it, and talk to me in a year and let's look back and see what's happened."

That makes sense, actually. Same reason we didn't really see LEGO City, either.

Yeah- at the very least it'd be nice to use an external drive but i suppose that's impractical given that the Switch needs to be easy to undock-and-go.

On the upside, it will support a 256GB micro SD so one of those should be more than sufficient for most people unless you go full-on digital everything (most Wii U titles were between 2-15 gigs, with XBCX being the largest at 23+ gigs). If you forgo physical, though, and get a ton of games, I guess you might need a second card.

There's zero chance Nintendo would ever release an MK, 3D Mario and 3D Zelda game in the same quarter, let alone the same month. They always spread out their tentpoles so that their sales don't cannibalize each other or completely force 3rd party titles out of the market.

That does perplex me- it seems too obvious that it was meant to be a Wii Sports/ Nintendoland-type deal as a Joy-Con demo/casual package. As innovative as a video game not using the TV screen is for that market, it's not going to become some sleeper hit among casuals if they don't have access to it with the system (i mean, Nintendoland was so much, much more than that- and even that got forgotten after the Deluxe pack-in bundle stopped being sold in favor of Mario-themed bundles).

20. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I've been doing some more reading, watching some more YouTube videos and doing some more thinking.
    I will now go as far as saying that Nintendo have totally dropped the ball with this launch. When the very first 3DS was launched, I was underwhelmed by the selection of launch titles. By comparison, the 3DS' launch is outstanding compared to the Switch.
    Seriously, this is Switch for 2017 (unless there are surprises ahead):
    [​IMG]
    There are some terrific game in there that I look forward to playing. But again, you are looking at 2017. The Switch is a Christmas gift, even for a Zelda fan because once you've played Zelda, then what? There won't be a virtual console at launch.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Zelda, alongside ARMS, will occupy folks for at least a couple months, which leads to Splatoon's launch which should sustain the summer, with the smaller titles and MK8D in between.

It's a stronger launch window than the Wii U had (especially if XBC2 launches this year, which is be surprised if it does), with no multi-month lulls, which I think was their goal.

Also, lest we not forget, both PS4 and XBO also had pretty sparse launch lineups with mostly ports and nothing on par with a Zelda or Splatoon. So the whole "the other games come 6 months later" thing isn't exactly unique to Nintendo when it comes to modern launches. That doesn't make your conclusion wrong, however- just not atypical.

No VC does suck though.

Life likes this.
  22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    For me, if I were to get the Switch around Christmas, there's a few games that could occupy my attention. I count at least three. But anyway, I'm probably going to wait til next year.

True. When the SNES came out, only "Super Mario World" and "F-Zero" were available at launch in Japan. The US version also had "Pilotwings", "SimCity" and "Gradius III". The third Zelda game only came out a year later, in both country's. By the time I got my SNES in December of 1992, there was already a diverse line-up of games.

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I suspect I'll be vulnerable to a Switch XC2 combo at substantive price drop.

I know some of it is due to rights issues and legalities and so forth, but I don't think Nintendo really tapped the full potential and promise of the Virtual Console - there could have been far more games on it than they did.

DebonaireNerd likes this.
  24. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Waiting for the Mario Odyssey bundle this holiday. Depending on how March ends up looking, I'll either play the Wii U version of Zelda or just wait to play it after Odyssey.

25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Those really aren't analogous as Sony and Microsoft have a much easier time guaranteeing access to future third party titles to consumers than Nintendo does. If you bought a PS4 or Bone you were basically set for anything that was coming. The Switch has nothing until we get shown otherwise.

This won't really affect launch sales (which will sell out, albeit possibly due to Nintendo shorting retailers, as they do) but they're going to have to keep a rolling list of upcoming stuff promised if they really want people to buy in. They simply cannot coast through a weak initial lineup the way the other two can.

Life likes this.