main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards Volunteers Needed for 2017 Awards!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Jan 16, 2017.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Hello FanFicers!​
    It's that's time of year again. Get out your fancy clothes and get ready for AWARDS SEASON!!
    [​IMG]
    But before you get all dressed up and ready to go, we have to do a few things first, namely, we have to figure out who is going to run the awards!​
    Like last year, we're going to start with the optimum number of awards and and adjust if we need to. So read on and see what type of roll you'd like to take.​
    Overseeer (1 Person)
    This is the person who is in charge of running the awards. You are the last stop for decisions, general procedures, and all the details. You will be helped by your fellow volunteers, (and the mods as needed) but it is your job to make sure that everything is running the way it should be. You need to be someone who is willing to devote a lot of time during the actual running of the awards because you will be double-checking nominations and votes for every era. You will be helping to decide the hosts for each era.​
    During the planning phase, you'll be the one running the discussion on how these awards should go -with help from last years Overseer's notes- and you'll be the one to ultimately decide if something should be decided by the volunteers or via vote with all of fanfic.​
    Unfortunately, you will not be eligible for any awards as they will have access to all nominations and votes. You will be allowed to nominate and vote, but you must do so on the first day of nominations and voting and your votes must be counted by the host and at least one other volunteer.
    You should be someone who has successfully hosted at least one resource thread (or hosted awards in the past) and is willing to herd wild banthas.​
    You will get the praise and many thank yous, and colors and a title through the entire process.​
    The Overseer will be chosen by the mods.​
    [​IMG]
    Hosts (4 People)
    These are the people who will be running the awards for each era (right now we are going to say four hosts since it is currently unclear how the eras will be divided. This could be adjusted at a later date). You get to organize a schedule for when your assistants do their assigned tasks, how they do their tasks, and how you want those results sent to you. You also have to send those results in turn to the overseer, who may want you to use a particular format. It's a lot of counting, double-checking, and hair-pulling. You also need to be on the lookout for submission goofs. But don't worry, there's a light at the end - you get to plan the ceremony for your era! You are also part of the team who gets to decide how the awards will run this year. You get to help pick your assistants.​
    You are not eligible for awards in the era you host. You are eligible to nominate in your era, but must do so on the first day of nominations. You can not vote in your era.​
    We prefer someone who was involved with the awards last year or with thread hosting experience, but it is not necessary.​
    You will also receive colors and a title for the time your era's awards process is public.
    Hosts will be chosen by the overseer with advice from the mods.​
    Award Assistants (6-10 people)
    You are the evil, but much-appreciated minions. Your job is to do pretty much anything the Overseer and Host ask you to do, mostly count nominations and votes, and making sure stories are within the eligibility period. You will also be part of the team who decides how the awards will run this year.​
    No experience is necessary, though counting helps.​
    You are not eligible for awards in the era you volunteer. You may nominate and vote in your era but another volunteer must count your votes. You may volunteer for more than one era if you are glutton for punishment.​
    Award Assistants will be chosen by the Overseer and Hosts.​
    [​IMG]
    How to Volunteer:
    So you've read through all of this and still want to help out? Ahh hahah... suckers! Great!​
    Please let us know via PM or here in this thread and including the following:​
    1. What position(s) you would like to fulfill.
    You may state more than one, or all of them if you wish.

2. What era(s) you are willing to volunteer in.
    For now, we will stick with Before, Saga, Beyond and New Movies. In case the Saga is divided a different way, you may state a preference for which Saga era (PT, OT, ST) but know there is a possibility that volunteering for Saga might mean all eras of Saga may be included.

Anyone who would like to volunteer should do so by: 11:59pm Saturday February 4th.

[​IMG]

FAQ:
    When will the awards process publicly start?
    We can't say for sure, it depends on what time works best for the volunteers. We're hoping before the end of February.
    Will the awards be run the same way as last year?
    Probably in a very similar manner, but there may be some changes. The biggest question the volunteers probably face is how to divide up the eras now that we have more stories that involve the new movies.
    What will happen if there aren't enough volunteers?
    We're going with optimism and then if we don't get as many as we'd like, as we did last year, we'll hopefully find a way to deal with it. But not having hosts put a LOT of pressure on the Overseer and we really don't want that to happen again. There is a possibility that if we don't have enough people, we'll have to reconsider doing the awards right now. We hope that doesn't happen, but the awards can't go on if we don't have enough people.
    How will the choices for the volunteers be made?
    The mods will choose the Overseer and PM that person with the selection of Hosts. The Overseer then will consult the Hosts via PM regarding their choices for their Awards Assistants. After this, all discussion/organizing for the awards will take place in the super secret private forum to which all the volunteers will be given access.​
    What are the eligibility dates for the awards?
    Last years awards went through 31 December 2015, so eligibility for this years awards will start 01 January 2016 and will go through 31 December 2016.​
    Will the mods be eligible to be nominated, and will they nom and vote?
    In last years post awards survey it was voted that the mods should be allowed to participate in all aspects of the awards. So yes, we will be eligible and will nom and vote (or we're hoping we'll have time to do so!). If for some reason we'd need to become more involved the the running of the awards (beyond our IP checking, and normal mod duties), we would pull ourselves from all aspects of the awards.​
    If you have any questions, please let us know!​
    But be warned, if it's specifics about how the awards will be run, the answer you receive will probably be:​
    [​IMG]

2. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Sign me up! I'm happy to do whatever is needed (although, tbh, I'd rather limit myself to counting noms and votes in an era or two and leave the interaction with wild banthas to someone else [face_devil])

3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Just sent a PM. :)

Chyntuck, Kahara and mavjade like this.
  4. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
  5. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    I will sign up for whatever you need and I can volunteer in Before and Beyond.

6. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    I would like to help but I have no expirience for this whatsoever, so I don´t know if I can.

7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Sure you can! The awards assistants require no previous experience.

However, if you are unsure about volunteering, there is still a LOT you can do to help out the awards as a "regular user" like nominating fics and voting (and offering something like a fic-gift or artwork as prices if the volunteers want to offer prizes again).

Chyntuck, Kahara and Anedon like this.
  8. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Okay, I guess then I will volunter as an award assistant. I can take any era expect the new movies.

Chyntuck and Kahara like this.
  9. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

An award assistant only counts votes. You don't need knowledge of any era and, since you would not be eligible for awards in the era you volunteer in, I'm positive that you would rather take any era other than Beyond-Legends, where your fics are. :)

Does this make sense?

Kahara likes this.
  10. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Ewok Poet
    Yeah I got it know thanks. I guess than I should count in before Saga or indeed the New Movies.

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  11. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Glad that helped. :) And I think you'll make a great volunteer, you have a strong sense of duty and are all-around a nice guy. :)

Findswoman , Kahara and Anedon like this.
  12. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Thanks Ewok Poet
    You guys are great! :)

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  13. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    About a week to sign up if you were thinking about it.

Kahara likes this.
  14. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    Ok for being an award assistant, if needed of course :p

mavjade , Findswoman and Kahara like this.
  15. A Blind Prophet

A Blind Prophet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2016
    suppose i could be an assistant, not like i have any fics up at the moment. i can help with any of them, doesn't make a lick of difference to me.

16. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Just under 36 hours until the call for volunteers end! Speak now or forever hold your peace!