main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Event Request: WNY Vision Walk - May 20 - Canalside

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by Otto_den_Ktulu, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Otto_den_Ktulu

Otto_den_Ktulu North Ridge Event Coordinator star 5

Jan 19, 2002
    Hello!

The North Ridge has been requested to join one of our own, Jill, at the 2017 Western New York VisionWalk. The date is May 19th (yes I know it's Nickel City Con) and the walk begins around 10AM. Registration begins at 9AM and the walk is done shortly after noon. It is held at Canalside and the walk is from the Great Lawn area, down to the observation tower and back (about 2 miles total). The walk raises funds for the Foundation Fighting Blindness, an organization that conducts research to find innovative treatments and a cure for blindness caused by retinal diseases.

Jill would be greatly honored if her friends could join her for this event. Food and drinks are available before and after the walk, and there is a basket raffle. There would be time before and after the walk for photo ops.

It's probably best to arrive in as much costume as possible. There as port a potties and the closest changing place would be the Tim Horton's bathroom at Harbor Center (which is plenty big enough). Or, change at the Con, hop the Metro Rail and get off at Canalside.

Please post your availability for this event as soon as possible. Thanks!!

2. jwnikita

jwnikita Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 25, 2016
    The date should be the 20th, Saturday...sorry for the mis-type.

3. BPStoyle

BPStoyle Social Media Admin star 4

Jan 5, 2010
    Are we planning a presence of any kind at Nickel City Con?

4. jwnikita

Jul 25, 2016
    The walk will be done by noon, 12:30 at the latest.

5. TFS

TFS Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 5, 2015
    I would be tentative for this d/t another pending weekend commitment (uncertain if it includes Saturday), but I cannot walk more than a very short distance. Would we be setting up a table or have any static display?

6. jwnikita

Jul 25, 2016
    If we want to set up our backdrops, I can ask the organizer for a spot. There are always chairs available as well.

72Princess1 likes this.
  7. 72Princess1

72Princess1 President - NR star 4

Feb 27, 2015
    Great question!!
    I'm not sure if an invite has been extended. Either way, this event is at the request of one of our own. We do have enough members to cover both, or leave the con to participate until the walk is done, then resume the Con.

8. Mother_of_the_Twins

Mother_of_the_Twins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2005
    I would be proud to participate in this, Jill! Not sure if I can do the whole walk, but I plan to participate.

jwnikita likes this.
  9. TFS

TFS Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 5, 2015
    I wouldn't want to presume we'd set up any backdrops, especially since there is at least the possibility of a presence at the Comicon, plus the fact that it would not be my call anyway. Perhaps just an area where we could congregate.

10. jwnikita

Jul 25, 2016
    Kate Knadle likes this.
  11. Kate Knadle

Kate Knadle Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 8, 2016
    I will definitely be there!

jwnikita likes this.
  12. Wild Sidewalker

Wild Sidewalker Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Unavailable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Lee Solara

Lee Solara North Ridge Secretary star 2

Oct 30, 2013
    Trying to figure it out. Dan will be getting back in town from work.

14. jwnikita

Jul 25, 2016
    72Princess1 likes this.
  15. TFS

TFS Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 5, 2015
    Unavailable

16. Solo42986

Solo42986 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 4, 2002
    Sorry, I'll be out of town that weekend.

17. quigonschuel

quigonschuel Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2011
    I will most likely be working at Nickel City Con, as my employer is the organizer.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

18. Cory Knadle

Cory Knadle Jedi Youngling

Mar 1, 2017
    I will be attending!

19. Grog Zombie

Grog Zombie North Ridge Diplomat star 1

Apr 2, 2016
    Emily and I will be there.

jwnikita likes this.
  20. Lee Solara

Lee Solara North Ridge Secretary star 2

Oct 30, 2013
    I am registered on your team. I will probably have the boys with me. Dan will most likely not make it as he is getting in from travel for work early that morning.

jwnikita and 72Princess1 like this.
  21. Grog Zombie

Grog Zombie North Ridge Diplomat star 1

Apr 2, 2016
    Unfortunately, we will not be able to make this. You can donate for Jill's team on the link that she provided even if you can't walk that distance in your costume.

72Princess1 likes this.
  22. Mother_of_the_Twins

Mother_of_the_Twins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2005
    I am registered and will be in a North Ridge shirt.

jwnikita and 72Princess1 like this.
  23. jwnikita

Jul 25, 2016
    Hello all, just a few things for the Walk. If you are planning to come to the walk, (doesn't matter if you plan to actually walk, I know some won't be able to) please register for Team Evergreen. It will save you from having to do it the day of the walk. (Thank you to those who have already done so). If any of you are planning to wear a costume, please let me know and I can share with the organizer to get some buzz going.
    Second, some of you had mentioned that you would be willing to donate items to put together for a basket for the basket raffle at the event. If you could gather those items and get them to me, say by May 13, that would be great. We have rehearsals and events between now and then and our paths will cross before the 13th. Thank you to those who are going to donate items.

Finally, I just want to thank my North Ridge family for agreeing to walk with me and support me in this cause. Things happen for a reason, I am a firm believer of that, and that includes my vision loss. There are quite a few things that I would have never done if my life would have stayed the same, and I would have never met such a wonderful group of people who truly support their own members as if they were family. I can't drive anymore, but I can swing a lightsaber with the best of them! I suppose the Force really does bind us all together..

Kate Knadle likes this.
  24. Kate Knadle

Kate Knadle Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 8, 2016
    I will be there as Rey and Cory is going as Kylo

jwnikita likes this.
  25. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    I am working from 9am to 5pm that day, sorry.