main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph In Town With a Few Days to Kill: The Prey-dator Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, Jun 24, 2014.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    You mean the two shows that helped in Sam Raimi landing "Spider-Man"?

2. twowolves

twowolves Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2013
    Everything Raimi touches turns into over-the-top, over-produced schlock that stops just short of always breaking the third wall. How many times did Xena stop shy of winking at the viewers with some of the "witticisms" that were thrown around? Spider Man was all right, I guess, but damn, it would have been nice to see the Seeker handled more along the lines of the way Peter Jackson handled the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Instead, we wound up with a Xena clone.

That is why I said I'm glad that Raimi didn't get his grubby little hands on the Predator franchise. And Shane Black knows more about what the Predator series should be, so I'm interested to see his take on it. I definitely think, if handled right, there is a franchise there.

3. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I'm still confused why Sam Raimi was even brought up in a Predator thread. He's never been shortlisted for any of the movies as far as I'm aware.

This thread has become such a mind **** that it's on par with the works of David Lynch.

[​IMG]

vin and twowolves like this.
  4. twowolves

Oct 6, 2013
    I just made a non sequitur comment that I was glad Raimi didn't get his paws on it. Hollywood has a history of taking great concepts and handing them off to the wrong producers.

I wonder if Danny Glover will be reprising his role: *Danny Glover shaking his fist from his porch, shouting about damned predators getting off his lawn*

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  6. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    You're a page late doofus.

7. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Boyd Holbrook - white trash looking dude in Gone Girl, don't know him in anything else, leading the group? (uh-oh)
    Trevante Rhodes - former track and field sprinter, never saw Moonlight, so another unknown
    Olivia Munn - pretty face, can't act
    Keegan-Michael Key - comic relief?

Yeah, not looking good so far...unless we're rooting for the Predator then YES!

8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm just glad Michael Bay isn't directing.

Chewgumma and twowolves like this.
  9. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    I want Predator vs Terminator. Double Arnold action.

10. twowolves

Oct 6, 2013
    Predator vs. Terminator vs. Alien. Boom.

Mind = blown

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
  12. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    So is it revealed that Skynet chose Schwarzenegger's visage because he was the legendary soldier who survived against the alien hunter in this comic? :p

And is Dutch shocked to be attacked by himself?

13. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    Hello everyone.

I'm new to this thread but I'm a fan of the Predator films, I'm looking forward Shane Black's 'The Predator' although the title sucks IMO.

I was very disappointed that Del Toro wasn't able to take the lead, never seen or heard of Boyd Holbrook before.
    I hated Olivia Munn in The Newsroom but thought she was alright in Xman.
    Keegan-Michael Key is the only real casting that I'm excited about.

Don't know what the plot will be about but I always thought it would be cool if it was about a special secret unit in the government that hunt Predators like in Predator 2 maybe set at 51. I'm sure whatever they do will peek my interest though.

14. twowolves

Oct 6, 2013
    [​IMG]

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Sterling K. Brown (The People vs OJ Simpson: American Crime Story) joins Predator.

That link, as well as its source link, gives us a couple more plot details and roles for previously announced cast

"The setting for the new story is suburbia and will feature many of the fierce hunter killers, not just one."

"Brown will play a government agent who jails Boyd Holbrook’s ex-Marine character, and later needs his help with the Predators. He joins a cast that also includes Trevante Rhodes and Keegan-Michael Key as ex-Marines and Olivia Munn as a scientist."

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I wonder if the Yautja are in competition with each other. That would be different with "Alien Vs Predator" and "Predators".

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Having a seasoned group hunt without "wolf" Yautja competing against them would also be different than either of those films. Although multiple lone hunters competing would probably be more interesting since you could show different individual hunting techniques instead of different hunting pack roles.

18. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    so is there any continuity in all these Predator films ?

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes, Predator 2 and Predators both mention the events of the original film. This film, which being positioned as a relaunch, isn't a reboot, so it presumably has some connection to the original film in some way. The AVP films probably aren't considered a direct continuation of the core trilogy but fit in afterwards if one chooses to do so.

Predator -> Predator 2 -> Predators* -> AVP -> AVPR.

*technically Predators could happen after the AVP films since it's set on another planet but probably best to keep in nearer to the original two.

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Right. Usually they don't travel in large groups without a purpose as seen in both the films and in the EU.

I do that as well. Makes a nice transition between the Predator story and into the Alien story. Besides, there's nothing in "Predators" that indicates if it is 2010, or if it is 1998-2003. No one breaks out cellphones, GPS devices and any type of computer technology that would date the film. We don't see Edwin being taken, so we don't see where he lives and what kind of car he drove. There's no reference to the year at all. It is as clean as it gets. And we only see Los Angeles in the second film, which is fine since the type of handguns that Harrigan, Danny, Leona and Lambert use would only be common in the war zone section of the city. The standard side arms in Gunnison, in the second crossover film would be normal compared to a city under siege. The guns that Weyland's people use are kind of common place now.

The2ndQuest and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  21. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I thought Predators had to be in the future, since they're on a remote planet. Aren't they supposed to be convicts in that movie? I haven't seen it in a long time, so I don't remember.

22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Predators was supposed to be set in the present and one the characters references Dutch's team from Predator. However, it's kind moot because Preadators is set off on another planet (they didn't travel there, they were abducted from Earth) so it could totally still happen anywhere in the timeline.

Anyway, Shane Black himself was IN Predator

[​IMG]

so I can't see him making this a stage 1 reboot. Hell, I'm hoping for the Hawkins reference somewhere.

But, yeah, casting Key could be a good movie because, if anything about Shane Black movies, there're motormouthed and quippy and then things get really violent rather abruptly. Which totally works for Predator.

23. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    I wonder if the film will be set in 2017...

TX-20 likes this.
  24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Isabelle is the one who brought up Dutch's team. But yeah, as I noted, the film makes it ambiguous as to when it took place. Not to mention that it was based off of what Rodriguez came up with in 1995, back when the internet was first becoming widely available and cellphones were still a new thing.

He's said that it isn't. So at the very least the three solo films are in continuity. The other films not being mentioned is understandable because the first film's events involved a military operation that had two actual witnesses, but also had the unexpected nuclear blast that resulted in a lot of whispers and gossip. The Los Angeles incident wasn't as well documented and attributed to a serial killer. What happened in Alaska was too remote and Gunnison can be written off as an accident. I mean, yeah, there are real world reasons, but looking at it in-universe would make sense.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002