main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    You don't understand my point because you haven't read the whole conversation. The point is for SuperWatto to stop being so smug and for him to acknowledge his subconscious racism that brown people elsewhere don't really matter to him.

2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    You specifically said "HE" voted for, "HE" is annoyed, "HE" is a ****head, alluded to some of the views I had expressed in previous posts, and were responding to someone who had directly responded to me.

Now you say that was meant as a general comment about people.

Whoever you were trying to insult is beside the point. Whatever the discussion was is beside the point.

You are on this forum constantly policing people around for posting much less offensive content than calling someone or a group of people ****head. And yet here you are using that kind of vulgar language. People expressing views that differ from yours should not warrant that kind of response. And for someone in a position of moderator that simply should not be allowed and a level of professionalism should be maintained. I'm surprised the other mods allow it to happen, as I've seen you post similar insults, and that you are able to keep your position as moderator, or at least not told you can't do that.

3. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015

This is my first comment on climate and you have no idea of my emotional state regarding the matter so you are in no position to tell me to "calm down."

What this administration has done is replace the global warming government website with a call for more drilling, and that was done almost immediately after Trump was sworn in… and that happened despite Trump declaring that he's had a full day on the job and isn't showing up to president until Monday.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's more that many people who fret about Trump making war ignore or excuse the actions of Obama and other Democrats (or even Republican wars such as the 1991 Gulf War or the 2001 invasion of Afghanistan). These actions caused mass death.

ShaneP and Lord Vivec like this.
  5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I live among fascists like Wilders and Le Pen so Trump must = facist. Also, HRC and Obama aren't bigoted even though they destroyed vast swaths of the ME, and destroyed lives, including women and children.

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Not just the Middle East but North Africa and South Asia as well!

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I condemned those actions at the time and now. I don't see how Obama having done a thing means we aren't supposed to criticize Trump when he says he's going to double down on it.

8. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Let's just say: everywhere not known as "the west". How's that?

Rogue1-and-a-half, Trump has said he is going to double the amount of military actions? Really? If anything, he is being accused of going SOFT ON RUSSIA and not wanting to get involved in Syria.

Can you guys even keep your angst straight?

9. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Vivec, those who voted for Trump did something for to call them that. They ticked that box. They must have known about the pussy grabbing. They probably knew about the wall. Many must have known about the bleeding-out-of-her-whatever. About the undisclosed tax reports, and the birtherism. That's already more than enough for me to call them stupid or bigoted, and there's so much more.
    By contrast, what do you know about me? Who I voted for? Who I work for? What my life is like? How much injustice I've seen?
    How much I love my kids?
    And why would you want to measure that up, for God's sake?

V-2 likes this.
  10. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    They're stupid and/or ignorant and/or racist and/or self-serving or some combination of those.

I've never seen anyone articulate a good argument for voting Trump.

Of the top 100 newspapers, only 2 endorsed Trump, and 1 of those endorsements wasn't written by the editorial staff but the owners of the newspaper. I don't know about the other one.

You can say -- so what?

But I would say this is the defining question of our age.

If a large minority of the populace through persuasion or willingly support a candidate like Trump, then that calls into question basic assumptions that Western civilization is based upon -- that Enlightenment ideas will win out, that fact-based arguments are superior to fallacious arguments and lies, that democracy produces the best leaders, that a multicultural egalitarian society can exist long term because it is resistant to demagoguery.

We've had Brexit, Trump, the far-right Freedom Party get 46% of the vote in Austria, the rise of other right wing parties in Europe.

So, I think we have to figure out a way to prevent stupid/ignorant/racist/self-serving people from acting in ways that are detrimental to modern societies, slow progress, or send things backwards.

I think the only way we can combat these bad motives is to recognize them for what they are and then try to come up with solutions.

If we don't recognize the problem, we can't fix it.

V-2, Pensivia and SuperWatto like this.
  11. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Shane, what Rogue said.
    Yes, America's always acted like an ass. Happy?
    But now it promises to get much, much worse. I used to despise W, now I long back for him. Happy?

12. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I have yet to see anyone in the U.S. doing anything different than what they were doing before Trump won: blaming vast swaths of the population and saying we just need to double down on our strategy.

Yeah, that has worked.

13. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    So I guess right about now Trump is being handed the nuclear codes?

We now sleep easily in our beds safe in the knowledge that Donald Trump has his finger on the button (and I don't just mean that button that says "Tweet")

Pleasant Dreams! [face_flag]

14. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    A big, beautiful disaster. Tremendous. :D

15. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I don't care how much you've "seen" or how much you love your kids. I care that you people call yourself progressives in one breath and then ignore all the brown people "progressive" leaders bomb.

DanielUK likes this.
  16. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Vivec, you fail so hard.
    You are so far removed from my ideal version of the world, that has one people, without color, without racism. Did you vote Trump?
    "Ignore". You fail so hard.

17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    well vast swaths of the population being extremely stupid is a very real problem in the united states. not that a republican administration would ever do anything to improve our educational system, lest they gradually lose all their voters.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  18. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Progressives love war. Always have.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  19. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Is this some kind of haiku?

20. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Fail
    Fail so hard
    Hard to fail
    Fail so hard
    Ignore
    You fail
    Fail so hard

That was pretty damn funny I thought.

21. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Yes you have no idea about me. Absolutely no idea. Stop talking.

22. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Was thinking maybe we have a second AI on the boards....

23. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    SuperWatto
    I know you have a backyard garden where you sit and smoke whilst pondering the rise of facism.

24. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Did you know that I was the one who objected when the International Red Cross and the European Union agreed that the use of drones doesn't interfere with any existing war laws?

V-2 and Rylo Ken like this.
  25. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    And that has to do with your behavior here....how?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.