main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge The Celtic Song Challenge|All New Songs Now Claimed

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Pandora, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    Pandora: Welcome - sorry about that; I forgot the correct title. [face_blush]

Findswoman likes this.
  2. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    Onderon1: Welcome - sorry about that; I forgot the correct title. [face_blush]

That's all right. I made the very same mistake myself quite recently (when I remembered "The Knoxville Girl," for over a day after I made the relevant post in this thread, as "The Nashville Girl.")

Findswoman likes this.
  3. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    Thanks, Pandora. :)

FWIW, the Nashville Girl might not be inappropriate, given that many Appalaichan (sp) songs can be traced back to Celtic settlers' music, and country music still occasionally retains some of those themes today ... [face_thinking]).

Kahara, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  4. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    Kahara, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  5. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    Onderon1: FWIW, the Nashville Girl might not be inappropriate, given that many Appalaichan (sp) songs can be traced back to Celtic settlers' music, and country music still occasionally retains some of those themes today ... [face_thinking]).

Oh yes, the Celtic influence has been strong in the music of Appalachia (as I mentioned in my notes, "The Knoxville Girl" is a variant of older Celtic songs such as "The Wexford Girl"). And the murder ballad has traditionally been strong in country music, though I don't know enough of what comes out of Nashville these days to know if it still is. I was only just now listening to Johnny Cash's "I Hung My Head"--a song that was written, and originally performed, by Sting, but it's like it was just made for Johnny to turn into a murder ballad classic.

(Also--for those who do not already know--Willie Nelson's album Red Headed Stranger is one long murder ballad. Yes, the reason he is grieving his "little lost darlin'" in the title song is because he killed her. Stone cold too--he saw her with another man in a tavern and they didn't even see him, let alone get the chance to try to defend themselves, before he had shot them both. He's worse than Velma Kelly in Chicago!)

And you wrote your story quick as a bunny! (Um--sorry about that.) And I wouldn't worry that it is overly positive in the least--you did receive one of the more cheerful offerings in the challenge. No one dies, and if anyone's heart is damaged in the course of events, the ending indicates that they'll heal.

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    So, sadly. I'm going to throw Tam Lin (#11) back up for grabs. My muse came up with nothing and I don't need another distraction from school. Plus with few little songs left, I don't want to take up a song I know I won't get around to writing about.

7. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    OK, that's totally fine—I've released it back into the fold. :) Did you want to try rolling again?

8. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Ugh. I am so very tempted to, since two of the songs I REALLY wanted are still up for grabs. Would it be okay if I did roll again?

9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Yes, certainly! :)

10. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    Briannakin: That would be fine. (And while you might not get one of those two songs, the chances are reasonably good.)

ETA: Or: what Findswoman said while I was typing, but with more words.

Findswoman likes this.
  11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Okay. I'm going to try again. I'm hoping for some classic angst! Rolling now!

Edit: The Minstrel Boy. Not one of the two I was going for, but I think I can work with this one.

Findswoman likes this.
  12. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    I think this may be the time to present the mini-roulette.

Basically: at this point, most of the songs have been claimed, so you might have to keep rolling, and rolling, with the list to finally get one that is still free. This should make it easier.

-----

Updated 4.13.2017:

The songs have all now been claimed.

Findswoman likes this.
  13. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    Briannakin: It is a good one for working with Star Wars, what with the actual rebellion and war.

It sounds as though you're already familiar with your song, but for those reading this thread who are not: "The Minstrel Boy" was written by Irish poet Thomas Moore, and set to the tune of "The Moreen," an air that was already centuries old. It is widely believed (though apparently, this point is still under contention) that he wrote it in remembrance of his college friends who participated in, and died in, the Irish Rebellion of 1798.

Lyrics

Videos:

John McCormack:

Brian "Hacksaw" Williams:

Findswoman and Kahara like this.
  14. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Just need to check...is there a word limit? Because I had a sudden revelation that completely changes what I was going to do and I think it's going to be a bit longer than I anticipated...

Findswoman likes this.
  15. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    Mistress_Renata: No, there isn't a word limit. (I hadn't even actually considered that when I was working on the OP.) Your response can be 1000 words, or 10,000 words, or--well, you've gotten the picture. Do whatever is best for the story you decide to tell.

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm having a different problem :p I had an idea for a 2 part story. I just finished part one and it's fairly short (just over 700 words) but it somehow just fits the song so well. I'm not sure if I should write part two, or if it would take away from the impact of part one.

17. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Still not too sure what I'm gonna do with this one. How does one handle a quiet plot bunny?

Findswoman and Kahara like this.
  18. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I have the overall idea for a story taking place in the Legacy portion of the Beyond - Legends era, but I might have to re-read the comics to make sure I got Darth Maladi right.

19. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Well, this plot bunny is finally talking to me. The trouble is it wants to take over the fic I started to introduce my OCs, and forcing me to invent more OCs to make the story work!

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  20. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  21. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    The Plot Bunny's A Harsh Mistress [face_laugh]

Kahara and Mistress_Renata like this.
  22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Ewok Poet, Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  23. A Blind Prophet

A Blind Prophet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2016
    i think i'd like to take a stab at 6: i am stretched out on your grave. i actually already have a plot bunny for it.

24. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    A Blind Prophet: In order to take part in the challenge, you need to either roll a dice for a number, or ask us to choose one for you. That's the main part of what makes it a challenge--you don't know what you're going to get.

25. A Blind Prophet

A Blind Prophet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2016
    oh, oops. >_< completely misread that.

ok then, dice rollingness...