main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode 8 Title - The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Jan 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valens-Pax

Valens-Pax Jedi Master

Sep 9, 2005

I don't think it's anal retentive at all. The rhyming structure of the titles up to this point was something unique to the Star Wars saga and a beautifully-literary reflection of the mythic themes at the heart of the entire story. Even though I didn't like The Force Awakens as a title, it nevertheless contained that ambiguity and intrigue that TPM and ANH have, so I came to accept and ultimately like it. "The Last Jedi" sounds unfinished and too on the nose. A sense of action was needed, as I suggested with "Hunt The Last Jedi." I've suggested earlier in this thread that something along the lines of "Clash of The Fates" would summarize the themes at the heart of the Snoke/Luke and Kylo/Rey struggles. Instead, this title is unimaginatively specific and lacks the mystery and intrigue of previous titles. It also doesn't sound like an old movie serial title, which all the other titles manage to achieve.

2. -Redacted-

-Redacted- Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2013
    KK has been saying the 'Skywalker Saga' in interviews and conversations for a while. So I think this is just them attempting to separate the "Skywalker Saga" from the Star Wars "Story" Movies.

I mean, its a title. I think its a good sign that the marketing will slowly start to roll out on this movie. (with this and the Rey leak yesterday).

I am curious on if eventually IX's title will be a different color. If color really means anything regarding the saga films.

3. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Episode VIII: Totes Kidding About the Jedi Returning

4. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Love the title.

It's just vague enough. It has gravitas. It has a smidge of darkness to it.

Bring it on.

5. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Sure we can.

ROTJ is Jedi while TLJ is simply Last Jedi.

I'd say that from all the interpretations already being put on it that it's open to different interpretations.

In terms of the saga it now shifts more towards Anakin's return although Luke did also return the Jedi way himself because he threw down his weapon the way the Jedi didn't in AOTC and TCW.

Of course Luke did create a new order but that is wiped out and we never see them in the movies anyway.

Which I always found odd as The Empire Strikes Back is probably the most ludicrous title of them all. So it's the best as far as throwing back to the serials.

It's all about the exclamation marks.

A New Hope! Doesn't work well

The Empire Strikes Back!

Return of the Jedi!

The Phantom Menace!

Attack of the Clones!

Revenge of the Sith!

The Force Awakens!

The Last Jedi! Doesn't work as well much like ANH in that regard.

Funbox likes this.
  6. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Here in Brazil, the SW Brazil post the traducton of the title, as mean of the last jedi will be Luke, they change to the english name now. :p

7. Darth Haggai

Darth Haggai Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 7, 2014
    Wonder if they have that clip in the teaser??

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

8. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    Of course in early drafts and even shooting scripts they never print the title. It was Space Bear. That was the working title all through the shoot.

9. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Agreed. Also, while I should be cautious in judging the title without having a clue what the movie's about, coming two movies after ROTJ this movie just sounds really odd and perhaps a little tone deaf. My disappointment with TFA was that it undermined everything that had been achieved in ROTJ to essentially reset the galaxy and give us the same setup again. This title seems to rub it in: not much of a return, was it? (I say this as someone probably still wedded to the world established in the EU books)

But once again, I will wait to judge the film. I don't want to underestimate Johnson, a really thoughtful and original filmmaker. There is probably more to this title than meets the eye. This title might well portend that the new generation to whom the torch is being passed is going to embody a new post-Jedi type of Force user.

Funbox, nisomer, Mange and 1 other person like this.
  10. Halle Dray

Halle Dray Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Oh wow. I never noticed that.

11. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

No offense, but that sounds like a college history class textbook. Or some political hack's "I'm running for President" book.

Drewton likes this.
  12. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    [​IMG]

:confused:

Darkslayer likes this.
  13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    [​IMG]

14. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    How?

And Lucas took heavy inspiration from history so it's quite appropriate IMO.

15. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014

Well it sure does suggest the movie has a strong focus on Luke.

16. Darth Haggai

Darth Haggai Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 7, 2014
    Don't even. They hate everything... Its not in her fanfic of star wars

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

17. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    Was Darth Vader or anybody in the Empire the main character of ESB? Were the clones the main characters of AOTC? Was Sidious the main character of TPM?

Yes, Luke will feature heavily in the next movie. But he ain't the main protagonist. That would be Rey.

18. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    The more I think about it, the more I like this title. Also like the red lettering in the poster/announcement thing.

19. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    LOL..... and there we have it!

20. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    It's a movie title..? Not really the point of what I said. Sith is a part of SW lore, but the concept of Jedi is iconic in mainstream culture in a totally different way. If I remember correctly, the word "sith" doesn't even appear in the OT. SW is iconic at all because of the OT, not because of the PT.

21. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Indeed. A pattern seen in a sample of 6 does not a tradition make.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  22. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Simple, I like it.

23. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    It's fine, I'm already used to it. "The Force Awakens" was a more intriguing title IMO.

24. Revan51

Revan51 Jedi Knight

Nov 28, 2014
    Finally the title! It sure brings up more questions than answers. Does it mean Luke and Rey or maybe someone else too[Finn]?Does the omnious red text mean Luke bites the dust Obi wan style? Or will he make it to 9 for a big ole showdown, where he probably dies in the fight?

Who is the other Skywalker? "The next entry in the Skywalker Sage" surely just doesn't mean ole Luke on his lonesome. Rey, or Ben Solo?

All this and more to probably, maybe, be answered in 11 months [face_laugh] One thing is for sure, if the movie has multiple Jedi at the start and whittles it down, one Jedi will survive the movie. They gotta sell light saber toys after all, and not just red ones.

25. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.