main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode 8 Title - The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Jan 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    I always thought Return of the Jedi was the weakest title. Well, before Attack of the Clones.

I was always confused because the Jedi don't actually return, if it's Luke returning to Dagobah that's extremely weak. It doesn't really make any sense.

2. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i think it could refer to luke, or rey, or the jedi in general. as a starting point luke is technically the last jedi and the only jedi in tfa. it also calls back RotJ when yoda says, "when gone am i, the last of the jedi will you be." we find luke in ep. 8 and last jedi has been one of his sorts of titles.

basically the title will be fitting no matter what happens.

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I hope we get a 3 part message...

The Force Awakens The Last Jedi...

4. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

Yeah, I actually Tweeted a question about the Church of the Force and the Guardians of the Whills to Pablo, and his reply made it clear that the Guardians do NOT specifically venerate Jedi, but rather the Force in general. OTOH, The Church of the Force DOES venerate Jedi in particular. Interesting.

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    And updated the forum name too... these are exciting times. :p

6. Drewton

Jan 8, 2009
    I still hope they would actually include "Episode _" in the title.

Darkslayer likes this.
  7. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014

In Time for Breakfast.

8. Darth Haggai

Darth Haggai Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 7, 2014
    Yeah man, none of the star wars movies are ripping off each other.. At all. Give me a break..

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

9. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
  10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    None of them ripped off each other even close to the extent of TFA. Just my opinion.

DarthBrian likes this.
  11. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014

THIS is how:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/episode-8-title-the-last-jedi.50043885/page-11#post-54093357

12. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
  13. AhsokaT

AhsokaT Jedi Padawan

Aug 25, 2016
    Am I allowed to scream here?!?! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS!!!!!!!!!!

Darth Smurf likes this.
  14. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    In terms of driving the movies he was the phantom menace that engineered the attack of the clones so he could get the revenge of the sith. So all the titles go back to him.

Anakin the Jedi returns and Luke starts the return of the Jedi Order.

15. Drewton

Jan 8, 2009
    La Calavera likes this.
  16. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    Love the red font - very 80's OT style. The craft and attention to detail from the Disney films so far is incredible, and really treats the original trilogy with the respect that it deserves.

Speculation wise, my initial thoughts before reading this thread are:

Luke was the last Jedi. He won't train Rey in the ways of the Jedi as we know them, because Luke doesn't trust in it. He thinks the Jedi are fundamentally flawed (particularly with its teachings being almost completely based on the fear of the dark side etc) and has, in his retreat, explored the dark side and become a 'complete' force user - able to weild incredible force powers without being susceptible to falling to the dark side, and not so shackled by the dark and light. Luke now believes that there will always be conflict between the dark side and the light as long as sects such as the Jedi and the Sith fail to accept both sides of the force - so trains Rey in the ways of the force, not to become a Jedi, but to be a fully-rounded force user.

The major problem I see with this is that Star Wars as a franchise surely couldn't possibly 'kill off' the Jedi altogether, and replace it with something more powerful - also, Luke could just 'rebrand' the Jedi, what they believe, how they train and live, but still be called Jedi.

Vasco_Rojo and Funbox like this.
  17. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014

Wrong thread for this, but I think that is a very shallow interpretation of the TFA. YMMV.

Jim Ryalto and Darth Haggai like this.
  18. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Huh?
    I agree. I don't hate TFA, but I do hate the derivative nature of it. What I mean is, I enjoy the characters but not the story. So you're right it's not that simple of a discussion.

Strongbow likes this.
  19. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    “In the context of talking about story and laying out what we were thinking, I said one thing to him,” Kennedy recalls [to JJ Abrams]. “‘Who is Luke Skywalker?’”

Abrams, who’s 49 now but was only 11 when the original Star Wars debuted in 1977, decided he needed to know the answer, even if he had to devise it himself. “He said, ‘Oh my God, I just got the chills. I’m in,’” Kennedy says. “I mean, it really was almost that quickly.”

http://ew.com/article/2015/08/12/star-wars-luke-skywalker-hooked-jj-abrams/

Bring on The Last Jedi. I can't wait to see Who.

20. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    If EpIX is called "Balance of the Force", I'll honestly vomit. We have one title about a menace, another about clones, a third about the Sith, a fourth about hope, a fifth about the Empire, a sixth about the Jedi, a seventh about the Force, an eighth about the Jedi, a ninth about... the Force?

Menace
    Clones
    Sith
    Hope
    Empire
    Jedi
    Force
    Jedi
    Force

Seriously.

And what's the shorthand for this one gonna be? "Jedi"? Sorry, already taken. "Last Jedi"? Oh, right, because you repeated "Jedi" so you have to add a word to avoid misunderstandings. But then, you'll have to change the shorthand for ROTJ as well, so noone thinks you're talking about TLJ when you just say "Jedi".
    Nice. Ruin traditional Star Wars lingo while you're at it, why dontcha.

Jerks.

KSennia, nisomer, Darkslayer and 2 others like this.
  21. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    so does it mean
    - Luke dies and Rey will then be the last Jedi?
    - Luke dies and Rey will become something else?
    - Luke survives and stays the last Jedi and Rey becomes something else?
    - Luke destroys the Jedi (with him either dying or surviving) and starts a completely new order under a different name with Rey +/- Ben?

at least it sounds that we will never get more than 1 Jedi again, if at all. [face_sigh]

22. Drewton

Jan 8, 2009
    I really doubt they'd do such a major PT callback as this. For one thing.

23. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Yeah this but this repetition feels....repetitive.

I: The Phantom Menace
    II: Attack of the Clones
    III: Revenge of the Sith
    IV: A New Hope
    V: The Empire Strikes Back
    VI: Return of the Jedi
    VII: The Force Awakens
    VIII: The Last Jedi
    IX: _________ <- Don’t start with another “THE” here! And use different words! More than three words this time, please!

24. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013

Yeah, I'm very curious to see where they are going with all this.

Don't know if it means anything, but I heard the other day that originally Rey was supposed to have a brief scene with somebody called Praster Ommlen, who also is closely tied with a religious order in the GFFA.

Strongbow likes this.
  25. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

JoshieHewls likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.