main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode 8 Title - The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Jan 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004

That's dreadful.

2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I would actually argue that the protagonist of TPM is, hilariously enough, Jar Jar Binks. Qui-Gon doesn't undergo any development, Kenobi is absent for too much of the middle portion of the film, and Padme is kept as too much of a cypher for too long. Binks is introduced early enough (about the same time Luke is, really) and has some form of a character arc; Cowardly, finds companionship amongst outsiders (much like himself), is integral in aligning the Gungans with the Naboo, is promoted to general and fights in the final battle.

I also don't think Binks is secretly a Sith Lord, so yeah, titles don't have to refer to the protagonist. But I do love how, assuming this title isn't using Jedi in the plural sense, Luke is both A New Hope and The Last Jedi. Also, nightangel, I really don't think this indicates that Luke is going to die. If anything, I think it reaffirms how centrally important he's going to be to this movie.

ChildOfWinds and nightangel like this.
  3. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I'm pretty confident Episode IX will be NTIA.

4. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    I know it's EU-ish but I love the title because that means this is a 100% Luke-Centric film. Also people are speculating this means Luke is the only Jedi not Rey or Finn but that's the point, he's the last survivingJedi. To me the title is a play of "Return of the Jedi". The Force Awakened (Rey, Finn) and they find The Last Jedi. But I love it, Rooting for Rian.

SunStar likes this.
  5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    George confirmed that Padme was the main character in TPM.

6. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    Yeah...actually, the only movies that have a word used as a verb are "The Empire Strikes Back" and "The Force Awakens."

The Phantom Menace = noun
    Attack of the Clones = noun
    Revenge of the Sith = noun
    A New Hope = noun
    Return of the Jedi = noun

Strongbow likes this.
  7. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Episode VII: The Force Awakens
    Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
    Episode IX: And They Rise

8. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    On the plus side, it would at least have 4 words like the previous middle installments.

I guess Destroy the Last Jedi would be akin to "Send In The Clones" instead of Attack of the Clones :clone:

9. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Two does not a pattern make. I've never understood the, "in every trilogy so far..." talk. There is no naming convention other than an attempt at a pulp/Republic serial vibe.

redxavier, Dra--- and Strongbow like this.
  10. nonesuch

nonesuch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2015
    Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Finally the floodgates have opened. My quick thoughts:

1. OMG OMG OMG!!! I’m so full of hype for this! I think it’s a fantastic title and a great choice. It’s also so incredibly exciting to finally have a title - the Episode VIII promo train truly leaves the station here! Now I just need to get used to calling it The Last Jedi…

2. Why does this title work so well? Well, for me it’s because it raises so many enticing questions. First of all, who is the last Jedi of the title? Is it Luke? Is Jedi being used as a plural, referring to Luke and Rey? Does this title convey that the Jedi we encounter in VIII will be the last Jedi we ever see, making way for a new kind of Force user? Or is the title instead about conveying the dire stakes that rest upon Rey’s shoulders - if she doesn’t rise up and take the mantle, will the Jedi end with Luke? What will that pressure do to her? Could the title somehow refer to the former Ben Solo, who we know to be a fallen Jedi? Or maybe there are other Jedi out there somewhere? And these are just the questions that come to me off the top of my head!

3. This makes me more confident than before that we’re getting something at the Superbowl. The title for The Force Awakens was released on Twitter on 6 November 2014, and was followed by the first teaser on 28 November. The title for The Last Jedi was released on 23 January 2017, and the Superbowl takes place on 5 February. In short, the timing would be a very close parallel to the timing of the marketing for The Force Awakens. Pray with me! Footage is so close I can practically feel it grazing my eyeballs already.

11. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    Great title.

Krueger, Dra--- and Strongbow like this.
  12. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

That's not bad... though on its own, it sounds like a Zombie movie.

Gigoran Monk and What Girl like this.
  13. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Sorry, that sounds like a bad fanfic title.

14. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    So who is the last Jedi? Right now, it's Luke...but will the last Jedi be Rey?

And, what does mean for the future of the saga? Can there be any Jedi in any future generations after Lucasfilm makes this the title of Episode VIII? Could mean Episode IX is the last Star Wars film...

15. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Re: that "script". RJ is too smart to write a crawl that horrible even as a rough draft in lipsick on the back of a wrinkled cocktail napkin.

16. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    To be fair, it's a pretty generic title that I'm sure many fans have guessed.

17. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    I kind of do like how, with the ST, they have chosen titles that don't reveal much of the plot...not as much as most of the PT and OT titles did.

The Phantom Menace...there is a dark lord who comes onto the scene
    Attack of the Clones...uh...obviously an army of clones attack
    Revenge of the Sith...the Sith return to power
    A New Hope...this is the least-revealing of the first 6
    The Empire Strikes Back...uh...the Empire strikes back
    Return of the Jedi...a Jedi returns

The Force Awakens...yeah, but in what manner? In who?
    The Last Jedi...yeah, it's about Luke, but gives absolutely zero plot details. I like that.

Grey Matter likes this.
  18. dsematsu

dsematsu Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 6, 2013
    Pretty boring name, but I dislike the entire approach. The OT was the story of the last Jedi. This is just more plot rehash and it scares me.

19. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Qui-Gon was the protagonist of The Phantom Menace.

Do you have a source for this?

20. What Girl

What Girl Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

Could it be read as Anakin coming back from the dark side? [face_thinking]

Dark Horse likes this.
  21. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Episode IX- An Ocean of Stars.:p

DaddlerTheDalek and nightangel like this.
  22. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    The Last Jedi is Kylo.

Rey is just a vessel Luke used to hold his force powers. That's why she automatically knew how to use force powers, fight, and had all those visions when she touched the Lightsaber.

KSennia and Vasco_Rojo like this.
  23. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    With the two most important words in SW lore used in the Ep7 and Ep8 titles, what is left?

They won't go back to using something military since the thrust has been for the mystical lore and not the military struggle.

The only thing that has NOT been used is DARK SIDE. Would they have a dark title for the last movie?

My guess is something that refers to a last battle or final conflict or battle for the force or something like that. They won't use Force or Jedi twice in the same trilogy. So my guess is that the name of Episode 9 will be without a SW term but will mirror A NEW HOPE somehow.

24. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2016
    That's always as how I read it [face_dunno]

What Girl likes this.
  25. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    He said Padme was the central character of TPM in the director's commentary. He said Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were like R2-D2 and C-3PO in the OT.

Darkslayer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.