main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode 8 Title - The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Jan 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    That sounds awful.

2. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    you try to make your name a legend? o_O

starocean90 likes this.
  3. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Jedi can be plural, as well as singular. Just throwing that out there.

4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    What's with the lecturing tone?
    When in doubt, go with "Not serious".

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Completely fine with the title. I hope the movie is good. If it feels like Star Wars and Luke has something to do, even better.

6. Darth Horn Rollo

Darth Horn Rollo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    gotta admit that I'm slightlly surprised by how many folks are already complaining about Episode 8...

I personally like the title because it is ambiguous at this point. I'm certain that it will have a great deal of resonance once we've seen the film.

Though I'm not looking forward to the inevitable deluge of hate that will descend upon SW message boards, many by people who have already deemed The Last Jedi a dismal failure because of the title...

Gigoran Monk and hippie1kenobi like this.
  7. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    even though I'm not a fan of The Force Awakens title, at least that title until the movie came out was more ambiguous one. This isn't as much so.

And then in the end TFA was just another way to say "A New Hope". So I don't expect this to be any different.

8. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I can't find it right now, but I know he is on record saying this.

PymParticles likes this.
  9. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    I'm saying right now I want the word Balance or the word Whills in IX. Balance of the Force. Balance of the Whills. Guardians of the Whills. Journal of the Whills. Balance of the Light and Dark.

I want IX to be EPIC. Ideally they wouldn't have already used Force but since we're now reusing Jedi I say go ahead with Balance of the Force for IX.

I will say though gut immediate reaction was "Why break with the naming tradition?" and "We already had Jedi."

But The Last Jedi is a pretty hype name and mixed with that font it hit me hard.

whostheBossk likes this.
  10. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    The stretching people are undertaking to make this about Kylo is almost comical. RJ just gave an interview where he literally says that Luke's story is at the heart of this film.

On a side note since it keeps coming up, I always loved the "Return of the Jedi" title. I saw it as having multiple meanings potentially, but primarily I saw it as Anakin's return to the light, which didn't become clear until the end of the film. I think that kind of thing makes for an appropriate little poetic twist in a title, but I don't see how that applies here. Luke was referred to as "the last jedi" in TFA multiple times. Even if "last" in this case means "previous," that is confusing and isn't about to be revealed in a meaningful way in the movie other than the movie simply being about Kylo. It isn't revelatory, it's just a tricky way of confusing the audience that Luke is hugely important in this film when in reality it's Kylo. That would go over real well after the Luke mcguffin no lines stuff from TFA.

I'm not ruling out that the title could in some way refer to Rey in addition to Luke though, whether by "jedi" being plural in this context or by Luke dying and passing on the torch by the end.

Drewton likes this.
  11. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Love the title. May miss the theme of second movie having "Strikes" or "Attack" but great title and I'm excited!!!

I say its definetly referring to Luke but obviously it will pass to Rey by films end.

12. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    I definitely do not want Luke to die...but in case he does, and I doubt it, The Last Jedi would be a nice bookend to A New Hope.

13. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013

Oh I might be game for this.

14. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    The Last Jedi could actually refer to Kylo Ren. But it's such a title (like Return of the Jedi) that could refer to any number of characters or even a group as Jedi can be singular or plural.

15. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    The plural form of Jedi is Jedi.

16. Zenwalker

Zenwalker Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I freaking love it! Goosebumps! :D

17. Drewton

Jan 8, 2009
    A few more EPXI ideas I doubt will happen...

WAR OF THE FORCE
    THE FIRST BENDU
    KNIGHT OF THE FORCE

I do think it's possible "Knight" could be in the title. Could refer to Jedi or Knights of Ren. It's ambiguous and fits in with referring to the other Skywalker character, Ben.

18. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    [​IMG]

Epic.

EP3 and EP6 was also good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Kole

Kole Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2016
    Plot twist: Mace Windu survived his fall and the title refers to him

fuhry, Darthman92 and starocean90 like this.
  20. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    episode IX: Rise of the Order o_O

21. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    Why?

Kylo got Jedi training so when Luke dies he will be the last Jedi.

And some one messed with Rey's head so that's a neat explanation for that.

22. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Plot twist, the FO resurrects Anakin and zombie Anakin defects and becomes a Jedi again.

23. Darthman92

Darthman92 Force Ghost star 6

Feb 24, 2016
    Okay, so now I'm full well expecting that a First Order officer (portrayed by none other than Tom Cruise) shows up on Ach-To and is the one to learn the ways of the Jedi from Luke after being racked with the guilt of helping massacre some Tusken Raiders and winds up helping fight back alongside the heroes for their continued way of life! :D

24. Drewton

Jan 8, 2009
    I really hope there's a conversation between Christensen Anakin and old Luke.

Except that would beg the question of why Anakin's ghost doesn't speak to Ben.

25. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    Kylo will never become a Jedi. :rolleyes:

starocean90 and Dark Horse like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.