main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode 8 Title - The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Jan 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012

The Nu-canon version :D

[​IMG]

2. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Wow, I actually made that picture in 2011. Nice to see it's still in circulation. :p

DaddlerTheDalek and Django Fett like this.
  3. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Hmm I need some opinions, now that we know the title I should update my signature. But we have no Old Luke or Rey emoticon so I don't know what I should put at the TLJ spot that fits :p (Any plans on doing any more emoticons mods ? A Chorus of Disapproval )

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Like "The Force Awakens", I think there's a deeper meaning most people are probably missing. In TFA, it turned out the title was in reference to Rey's own awakening as a force sensitive- something NOBODY guessed before hand.

One possibility is that Rey is going to literally be THE last Jedi. As in, there will be no more Jedi after her. That would be a bold direction for the writers to go, but I think it could be very interesting.

Also, the color scheme of the title certainly implies we're in for a darker chapter of the franchise.

5. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    that he is of Skywalker/Solo bloodline doesn't say anything about a possible redemption. He may still die unredeemed. ;)

Drewton likes this.
  6. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003

How about "The Last Jedi Returns"

mihaitzateo likes this.
  7. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    LOL,
    force ghost Qui Gon to Kylo Ren

""I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my granddaughter go now that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you, but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will kill you."

Rey Jinn confirmed and she's also Shmi's granddaughter and Anakin is her great uncle.

8. FakePlinkett

FakePlinkett Jedi Youngling

Oct 6, 2016
    I feel like it will be a lot better than this The Last Jedi

9. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Hey, I tweeted that theory November 6th, 2014! :)

I do think you're onto something with the title being about Rey as well. If you say VII and VIII's titles as one sentence - The force awakens the last Jedi - that certainly sounds like Rey, if she follows the Jedi path through to the end.

10. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    It could simply mean that Luke and Rey are the "Last Jedi," by the end of all of this.

11. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    "Rey, we really are the Last Jedi."

Hoping someone gets it :p

DarthBrian and nightangel like this.
  12. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Attack of the Clones already broke from "convention" by changing the syntax to a prepositional form from the traditional subject-verb structure of The Empire Strikes Back. So that critique doesn't make a lot of sense: "Attack" may be a verb by itself, but it's not functioning as one in a prepositional structure. If it had been syntactically structured "The Clones Attack," then it would have continued the tradition of ESB.

So, in fact, if you understand syntax, there was no tradition here for the middle title to continue. Either the structure of ESB could have been repeated, or the structure of AOTC could have been repeated, but there was no through line through both of them.

The Last Jedi is a nice elegant, classic title and it makes the reader wonder if we're talking about the Jedi changing in some way, or talking about Luke or Luke and Rey. Lots of potential connotations for us here to discuss, which is great.

13. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    My first thought is that the focus of the movie will be on Luke, as Yoda said "The Last of the Jedi will you be....." Good title.

SunStar likes this.
  14. Dominus Libertas

Dominus Libertas Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 23, 2016
    I literally had The Last Jedi in my head right before finding out

Who else predicted the title?

15. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    That would be the perfect way to inspire millions of internet comments of the "Huh?" or "Wait, who's 'Will'?" or "Er, ok" or "Whatever" variety.

Because there was never a "naming tradition" in the first place. That notion was the product of desperate pattern-seeking silly people.

"Yeah, that would be an amazing title if it weren't for the fact that it totally breaks the long-held Star Wars titling convention that is of vital importance to the saga and our brand. Back to the drawing board!"

Dra--- likes this.
  16. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015
    I wonder if someone insisting this was the title about 2 weeks ago means they have any real info on the film. Just remember some poster saying a few weeks ago that it would be the title and he knew a lot more about the film. A few people actually said it would be a good title for the film when the speculation began way back.

17. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    I think it's supposed to refer to Luke , but since Jedi is also the plural it's a play on the phrase itself that's including Rey as well.

18. Funbox

Funbox Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 16, 2015
    I really do not like this title at all. Now if it was 'The Last of the Jedi', that would ring better in terms of the Star Wars tradition. Some were even speculating that the title would be 'The Order of the Dark Side'. Now, after the immense Rogue One, I hope Episode 8 delivers.

19. thrawn91

thrawn91 Jedi Padawan

Jan 3, 2016
    I am not too fussed about the Title following the structure of the previous trilogies as long as this Star Wars film is better than the last one which felt like a reboot at times.

20. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    Im pretty sure title means Luke since its obvious that the movie was adressing to Luke. Luke is the Last Jedi.

21. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    LMAO

22. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Perhaps flashbacks also to Ben killing the last Jedi (plural) studying under Luke Skywalker.

Dra--- likes this.
  23. Idril

Idril Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 24, 2016
    Try Leia. There's enough female erasure in SW already.

24. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

May be the word "Hope" will be used for episode 9? I don't want to predict the title for Episode 9 though I am not good at stuff like that but I could see the word, Hope being used somewhere in there for symmetry...

25. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    I think as a standalone title it is really cool. it is foreboding but also has a sense of mysticism and drama, which is why esb is my favourite star wars films. kind of like the last samurai if that was a classic film.

couple concerns: first of all it is a little silly how we go from return of the jedi to the last jedi, especially so close together.

secondly, while i am hoping to get cool jedi stuff in this film, i like star wars as an ensemble and was hoping one set of characters don't get too much attention since i am looking forward to finn and poe etc just as much as luke and rey and kylo. of course the title could refer to more than just luke and/or rey but it seems to confirm that luke and rey are the more important characters of the story. Rotj didnt really do this though so i am probably being dumb

Funbox likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.