main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode 8 Title - The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Jan 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
  2. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    The title should have been a play on 50s monster movies. The Empire Strikes Back/Attack of the Clones

3. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    I love the title. My biggest fear was that it would have something to do with the Resistance, implying that the Resistance would be bigger focus out of 2 stories, but now that's debunked. [face_dancing]

The title also lands lots of credence to rumors that:

Luke and Rey don't leave Ahch-to for the whole running time (MSW)
    Rian was brought in to create new lore and be New GL (Frank_TJ_Mackey)
    40 min out of the first hour are big on Ahch-to goings on (4chan)

I also like singular/plural ambiguity. On one side, they refer to Luke as "the Last Jedi" (definitely a singular) in TFA, but, OTOH, Snoke also says "if Skywalker returns,the new Jedi will rise" (sounds like a plural to me). And then, there's red font so I'd say Dark Side is there too, which makes sense given who our main players on Ahch-to are. All in all, great job, Rian!

Dra--- and Gigoran Monk like this.
  4. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013

Okay I'm gonna tackle both of these points. Firstly: with STAR WARS in the title it really doesn't matter what the subtitle is. The marketing will clearly explain IX is the grand finale and if they decide to market it as "The Last Star Wars" in some way or another it will surely make an absurd amount of money. The argument that Whills would be too obscure of a title makes no sense to me. How many average movie-goers knew who Ultron was? How many know what Ragnorak is supposed to mean? I'm sure millions went to see The Winter Soldier with no idea who that was. But when they see AVENGERS or CAPTAIN AMERICA or THOR in the title then they know what the movie is, so no I don't think the subtitle matters all that much in terms of audience appeal.

On the subject of title patterns, the sudden argument by many on this forum that the title pattern NEVER existed is frankly hilarious. Until this morning the title pattern was considered A FACT by this board. I don't think I'd ever seen someone dispute the fact that a title pattern existed. So to retroactively now claim it never existed is both hilarious and ridiculous.

That being said I don't think the title pattern had to be the be all end all. I'm willing to concede that it's possible the best title was a title that didn't fit the pre-established pattern. But to claim there never was a pattern at all is just utter nonsense and I'm shocked that so many people seem willing to do it.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  5. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    it's an okay title, but Lucas came up with more memorable titles.

6. DealAlterer

DealAlterer Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    The first movie was about rising up. A New Hope.
    The next movie was about getting knocked down. The Empire Strikes Back.
    The next movie was about getting back up. Return Of The Jedi.

I have no idea what they have in store for this trilogy or if they even gave it that much thought. 'The Last Jedi' sounds like a badass title but call me one of those nitpicky Star Wars fans who thinks having another movie with the word 'jedi' in the title is off putting.

Would have made a GREAT title for the Ob-Wan standalone.

7. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Fair enough. If indeed that was the case. ;)

Lulu Mars likes this.
  8. What Girl

What Girl Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    So the Sequel Trilogy can essentially be called "Dude Where's My Skywalker".

9. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    The broken symmetry or pattern of the Lucas titles is a bummer.

10. The Shrike

The Shrike Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012

Greetings Jedi, you have been recruited by......

11. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Agreed. I was just trying to create a full sentence across the three films. :)

12. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    And shines.

13. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Leia probably won't be alive or present for it.

14. Vader0706

Vader0706 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2017
    I love the title! I guess the film will focus heavily on Luke. The red font also brings a sense of darkness and despair (it reminds me a bit of ROTS font.

And since the title is already up, my predictions for trailers are as follows:

Brief teaser at Superbowl, Teaser Trailer in April (Celebration) and Final Trailer in October.

I don't think Disney decided to release the title so close to Superbowl without giving us a first look at the film there.

15. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    It's a good title, I like it. Teaser trailer please *clicks fingers* ;)

16. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I almost feel like this title and RotJ should be switched... And this just makes me think Luke's gonna die. I hope that's not the case.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  17. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    Is it too early to start an Episode IX title thread? Maybe all three will be Force-related....

Episode IX: Champions of the Light

18. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    I don't know where people get the idea that Luke would die just because the title has "the Last". His nickname was "the Last Jedi" (TFA - crawl, Snoke) so it's nothing unusual. he is the last atm: Padawans = dead, Kylo = fallen, Rey = whatever, not a Jedi yet.

19. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002

My thoughts exactly.

I think we're going to see a lot of mysticism and psychological training for Rey with Luke. He probably knows she's learned some impressive fighting techniques while living alone and will probably spend more time focused on getting her to think outside the box, and come to strange realizations, helping to train her mind to unleash her full potential.

Yoda didn't necessarily teach Luke to wield a saber better. He coached him to conquer his fear and tap back into the childhood wonder that had been replaced with Tatooine-inspired cynicism and doubt. So much of tapping into the full potential of the Force seems to be removing all blocks on imagination and on what's possible or isn't. Rey seems to have come to this more naturally and has retained some of her childhood wonder so she's a little further ahead in that regard than Luke was at a slightly older age.

20. Darth Baby Selwyn

Darth Baby Selwyn Jedi Knight

Apr 17, 2016
    I agree with this! So what exactly did the Jedi return for????

A FAMILY DISPUTE????????!!!!!!!!!????????

21. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    It's a decent title, nothing too original or exciting. It tells us we'll get more Luke which most people already expected.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P5210 mit Tapatalk

22. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    OK, here are my new film rankings.

1. RO
    2. ESB
    3. ANH
    4. ROTJ
    5. TFA
    6. TPM
    7. AOTC
    8. ROTS
    9. TLJ

I like the name, but the film is pretty much a nothing for me at the moment.

23. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    It's anti-bummer IMO. To me is signals that this trilogy is one about transition.

We're not starting with a fully-formed villain. We're not getting the traditional heroic trio dynamic. We're not using the time jump between sequels. We're not following title conventions. Precedents set in the past are being broken, thank God.

24. BlurryUFOs

BlurryUFOs Jedi Master star 3

Sep 24, 2016
    Snoke is scared of Luke Skywalker specifically because his return would give rise to the new jedi. I think it was a theory around here that speculated the jedi are needed in the galaxy, that they provide something more than say just a lightside force user could

So I don't think 'the last jedi' refers to anything except that the story will be centered around luke/whatever his reason is for staying on ach-to and maybe that his time wont be spent training rey. the idea that rey doesn't become a jedi during this movie is pretty appealing to me, i'm not interested in another passing of the torch when we've barely seen what Luke can do with it. Let luke be the jedi and have him usher in rey and hopefully a few others

25. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I'd be willing to bet money on it.

In Time For Breakfast

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.