main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation When will we get 2 Star Wars movies in a calendar year?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by BigAl6ft6, Jan 22, 2017.

?

When will we get 2 Star Wars movies in a year?

1. before 2020

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. after 2020

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. ain't gonna happen

16 vote(s)
    76.2%
  1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Right now it seems to be a one a year sked: 2017 - Episode VIII, 2018 - Han Solo: Origins, 2019 - Episode IX. We don't know what is in the hopper for 2020 so far (aside from the maybe Boba Fett flick Josh Trank got kicked off of). Will 2020 be the first year of 2 Star Wars movies? Will a release date for VIII or Han Solo slide and somehow we'll get them both opening in the same year? Will it never happen? Is there a secret Star Wars movie ready to be released next week? What? Who? When?

Anyway, 2020 I think is the first chance we could see 2 Star Wars movies in year. Unless it'll never happen. Which I really doubt.

2. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    After 2020. I see it happening at least once for sure. I mean even Pixar has had one calendar year so far where they have released two feature films.

3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Probably after 2020, but hopefully never.

One movie and one animated TV season (and possibly one season of live action TV in the future) is enough in a calendar year for me. I like the wait, and the hype, and the expectations. If it's less than a year between movies it's going to take away from that.

4. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

People always say this, and I just don't get it. How many Marvel movies have we had now? Well over a dozen, surely. I'm just stupidly excited for all three Marvel offerings this year. Hell, I'm excited to get Doctor Strange on blu-ray next month. As long as they're quality movies, I've got no problem with lots of them.

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm not talking about Star Wars fatigue, or anything like that, like some people are. I'm talking about wanting some time off when I don't constantly hype new Star Wars :p

6. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000

You and I are in different universes then - my Episode VIII countdown has been active since December 19th, 2015.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Oh yeah, mine too - but the closer we are to a movie, the more the hype sets in for me.
    If we had more than one movie a year it would be at a constant high, which would make that high less impactful.

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I am fully looking forward to being doped up on a string of Star Wars releases in a year meself.

9. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    the release of the star wars movies will probably be staggered - probably no more than 1 a year. i think we can confidently look to, say, the release date of the harry potter films, which were generally about 1 a year at the most over a period of 10 years or so.

10. dva3842

dva3842 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2008
    I'm fine with the current staggered scheduling because the saga movies are not disparate stories and characters like the MCU. That said, I kinda wish Disney would continue with some of their old sci-fi properties such as a remake of "The Black Hole" and a Tron 3 but get better directors & scripts.

11. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Well, to be honest, it's already happening technically. Both The Force Awakens and Rouge One dominate the 2016 box office, and the same is likely to happen with Rouge One and The Last Jedi. We have never seen this kind of approach to Star Wars, where films are released so close together as to dominate box office in the same year.

I hope it never gets closer, but I'm sure Disney will eventually start milking this thing to death.

I'll miss the days when live action Star Wars films, good, bad, or ugly, were true, rare EVENTS. I absolutely do not want Star Wars to become a Marvel rip off, but I know Disney didn't spend 4 billion to treat the film series with the same rarity that George did.

So yes, eventually we'll see films released in the same calendar year. Unfortunately.

Dak Oolron, B99 and Lulu Mars like this.
  12. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I can see them filming Episodes X, XI and XII back-to-back and go for three consecutive Christmas releases, with summer spinoffs in between.

BigAl6ft6 and jaqen like this.
  13. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Honestly hope it never happens.. And Don't see it happening my self.VIII got delayed, Han Solo rumored to be too..Seems they try to schedule them closer and doesn't work. Although not confirmed if HS will get delayed though.

14. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Episode IX, Parts One and Two. Released two months apart.
    You can't let a trilogy finish after three films
    Part One will be all talky and Rey brooding and having doubts and generally be forgettable.
    Part two has the cool space battle and epic ligthsaber fight.

BigAl6ft6 and B99 like this.
  15. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Part 1 will have a scene where Rey tries to contact General Hux... "General Hux,, General Hux,, General Hux it's me Rey. General Hux, General Hux are you there? General Hux can you hear me? General Hux?!"

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. master_ kuato

master_ kuato Jedi Padawan

Feb 7, 2017
    Hopefully never.I prefer moderation.

jaqen and Sarge like this.
  17. Justrec

Justrec Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 13, 2014
    Hopefully never. More than one a year and the anticipation and magic dissipates. They will no longer be event films

B99 likes this.
  18. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Well, this is the first time we are getting a SW movie half a year apart...That is if HS doesn't get delayed!

19. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    VII Dec 17
    Solo May? 18
    IX May? 19

If they announce Boba Fett soon then with all the work already put into it then it could slot into Dec 18 if they wanted to.

So Dec 19 is more likely (unless IX is for Dec 19 in which case Fett could go out in May 19)

Then 2020 could be the start of 2 movies a year or 3 every 2 years at first and if that goes well then an increase to 2 a year.

The whole point of Disney is to make money off of these.

MCU movie timeline

2008 2
    2009 none
    2010 1
    2011 2
    2012 1
    2013 2
    2014 2
    2015 2
    2016 2
    2017 3
    2018 3
    2019 3

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Marvel's gonna go exponential!

21. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Slightly off-topic I know, but real quick:

What are the three coming in 17-19? Are you counting Spider man Homecoming in that? I get 2017 then. Otherwise I'm not sure what the 3rd ones will be for '18 and '19?

ON topic:

I voted that they'll start after 2020. What I really meant there was after this ST is done. I see no reason why they wouldn't be able to do two spinoffs in a year. If Marvel is able to do 3 for crying out loud, I'm sure they can swing 2 for SW. And I'd love that!! IIRC, when they first closed the deal with LFL to buy the franchise, they said they would start with AT LEAST one film a year. This tells me that they eventually plan on expanding.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000

And that's just my point - aside from TLJ, those are three of my most anticipated movies this year. In fact, Disney is really the only thing I'm actively anticipating. I'm definitely going to go see Transformers, Power Rangers, Kingsmen, Valerian, Baywatch, and Ghost in the Shell. But I had to look up which movies were coming out this year to remember them. Ask me which movies I'm excited for without Google? My list would be Star Wars, Pirates, Guardians, Spiderman, and Thor. If Star Wars spinoffs have the qualities of those movies, and I get three a year? I call that paradise.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  23. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Big Bad Yoda Daddy, that's funny what you mentioned about Googling movies for 2017. I am the same. If it's not something being released in the MCU, the DCCU, Logan, Pirates, or SW, I'm bound to forget what else is coming out this year.

I get the whole risk of oversaturation thing for multiple SW movies in one year, but I don't anticipate that happening-at least not for me (and many others). The Marvel movies have followed this release schedule for the better part of a decade-and I've never tired of the MCU (even though the films all seem to use the same kind of story/character arc formula and tone). And for me, there's all the other movies I like, and then-way up there on that pedestal-is Star Wars. So with that kind of level of interest in mind for the GFFA as compared to other franchises, I highly doubt I'll ever tire of MORE Star Wars. Also, if they do two a year, that would allow them to explore so many different ideas for spinoffs in a much shorter amount of time!

24. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I figure that if Han Solo is a big hit, that cast and story line could go off on its own direction. It's own little Saga if you like, on its own timetable. The equivalent of Guardians of the Galaxy.

And it wouldn't feel like too much Star Wars. It would be it's thing, and then you have the Rey thing which look and feel quite separate.

And then you have your little random one offs... the Ant Man's.

Then your have you annual calendar starting to get busier.

BigAl6ft6, Artoo-Dion and Sarge like this.
  25. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    One a year, please...let's not wish for more than we need. It's better than having a ubiquitous brand and the mediocrity that usually comes with it.