main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Ep. VIII) - December 15, 2017

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by EHT, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I'd say it's somewhere in between those titles and ROTS/ROTJ. Half vague, half specific and concerning Force users.

Who knows? Maybe, hopefully, the movie will make us see the title in a different, for some more positive, light!

2. woj101

woj101 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 19, 2000
    This talk of patterns in the titles just seems like people's OCD coming out. "Oh noes, somebody broke this pattern I've noticed and now obsess about!"

If there was literally any significance or importance or worthwhileness of the pattern (like the initials spell out some profound message etc.) then I could maybe understand. But there isn't. Of the pattern examples suggested above (none of which, I don't think, have been acknowledged by GL as intentional or in any way meaningful), none of them have any merit. They're so trivial. And I would much rather the most fitting title be chosen to (a) build anticipation and (b) represent the film, than it be somehow compromised just to fit in with a supposedly established pattern.

Quite a lot is made of how GL mirrors, rhymes etc. themes within the Star Wars saga. But I sometimes think this is taken as somehow making them even better pieces because of it, whereas it just doesn't. If anything (and I'm not criticising GL here because I admire him greatly), applying patterns and mirroring themes and imagery can just as easily be taken as laziness, because by having to fit something into an existing pattern necessarily limits your choices.

Cut loose guys and kiss the pattern obsession goodbye.

Sarge likes this.
  3. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    ...from your point of view. There's no need to deal in absolutes here.

From my point of view:

This recurring "There never was a pattern of significance/it's all lazy rehashing and coincidences" argument just reeks of ignorance to the multifaceted depth of GL's creation.

Now, I personally have moved on from the opinion I had a few posts back, but that does not in any way negate the sheer genius of what GL accomplished with his Saga.
    With the titles, he did create a brilliantly inverted mirror image. Brilliantly, because every single title fits into the pattern, builds anticipation and represents its film.

EDIT: And they're catchy ;)

4. woj101

woj101 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 19, 2000
    Come now, this is unnecessary. Are we not at the point with online exchanges that it can be assumed, whenever anyone posts anything and doesn't precede it with "On behalf of everyone..." that they are stating their opinion? We really don't need to be chipping away at each other. I know it's my opinion - I posted it. Everyone else can see it's my opinion - I posted it. Nothing is true, everything is perspective.

Who's dealing? Just talking. And do I look like a Sith?

Even when they acknowledge it, as I did? My point was, however multifaceted it is, it's not necessarily any better because of it. Sure, the fans might kinda like spotting the recurring themes and imagery, but it's not actually a difficult feat to achieve, and I don't think it warrants those that succeed GL steadfastly continuing to do it just for the sake of it, certainly not over something as poxy as the titles.

5. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Yes, we're all expressing our own opinions, from our own points of view, but I did sense a distinct absoluteness in your choice of words.
    I apologize if that irks you, though. I understand your point and I'm sure you understand mine, even if you don't agree.
    So, I'll move on to the actual topic of discussion:

Poxy? Really? Hm...
    I don't think titles are inconsequential. Not in the least. They're part of the films and definitely do their part in setting a tone and completing the full picture. They shouldn't be treated with disregard. We might as well skip them altogether.
    That said, "The Last Jedi" is a good title. It's not inventive, but Star Wars titles usually aren't and "The Last ____" hadn't been used yet, so why the heck not just use it when there's an opportunity?

As for GL's pattern, I agree that achieving it isn't exactly rocket science (but it's still brilliant IMO), so why would adhering to it limit his successors? ;)

Joking aside, I think it's fine that his hexalogy has that pattern to itself, especially since Anakin's and Luke's journeys are so intimately related. The third trilogy largely seems to follow many of the same patterns, but there's a sense of deviation as well. That can - and should - be reflected in the titles. When we have a title for EpIX - and have seen that movie - maybe we'll see a new sort of structure in it that's still not evident.
    This can probably be seen as the closing chapter in a trilogy of trilogies (even if they keep extending the Saga later on) and with that in mind, it seems fitting that this grand finale takes things in unexpected directions.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how it all comes together in the end!

6. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Let's talk about fatherless slave boys!
    How big do you reckon the presence of Vader's shadow will be in TLJ? He's obviously a major influence on Kylo and probably haunts other members of the family as well (metaphorically). Possibly, he'll be brought up by others as a reason not to trust the Skywalkers.

And then there's his original persona; Anakin. Will he be mentioned or even show up? Will he influence Rey to counter Vader's influence on Kylo? She does share many of little Ani's traits, much like Kylo mirrors Vader.
    ...or will that be Obi-Wan's job? After all, he did have a pretty significant voice cameo in TFA. One that basically just echoes one of his lines in ANH, but still.

The central Jedi mentor will undoubtedly be Luke, but there's definitely room for others to assist him, the way the Jedi Council took part in Anakin's training and Obi-Wan teamed up with Yoda to train Luke.

7. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    312 days!!

Lulu Mars likes this.
  8. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    There is a pattern, whether purposeful or not (although I'm not sure how you can't say ROTJ and ROTS don't purposefully follow the same pattern), the significance of which is dependent on the individual you ask. Just because you don't care about it does not mean you need to try to demean those who do.

TCF-1138 and Lulu Mars like this.
  9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    This. Let's all be friendly here, even when we're disagreeing.

I think Vader's shadow, as you put it, will continue to loom over the Saga films. Kylo is likely to still hold his grandfather in high esteem, and I think we'll see that Luke is haunted by Vader's legacy.
    As for Anakin showing up... I don't know; I sort of doubt it to be honest. But if he did - at least if he's played by Hayden Christensen - I would be incredibly happy!
    That would also really tie the three trilogies together; making it really "The Tragedy of Anakin Skywalker" (it still is, but this would make it even clearer). The first trilogy would then be The Fall of Anakin Skywalker, the second The Redemption of Anakin Skywalker, and the third The Legacy of Anakin Skywalker.

Master of None and Lulu Mars like this.
  10. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Indeed! That's the overarching plot thread, the connective tissue, that ties everything together. Anakin becomes less and less central to the immediate plot as younger generations take the helm, but his legacy looms over them and continues to affect them, decades after his death.

Like Jigsaw!! :p

11. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    309 days!!

Lulu Mars and TCF-1138 like this.
  12. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    It's too looooong :(

13. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Patience

Anakin.Skywalker and Lulu Mars like this.
  14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm starting to seriously doubt this is going to happen :p

Lulu Mars likes this.
  15. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    welp....[face_plain]

16. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    300 days!

Lulu Mars and TCF-1138 like this.
  17. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    So, how many minutes will pass before Luke draws his green lightsaber?

18. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    Infinite, his new lightsaber is brown. :p jk

Lulu Mars likes this.
  19. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    "Join me on the poopy side, Rey!"

20. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    I feel it again... the pull to the Spoiler Side. Show me again the power of being spoiler free!

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker, woj101 and Sarge like this.
  21. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    270 days!!

TCF-1138 likes this.
  22. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014

TCF-1138 likes this.
  23. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Apparently the tradition of the last couple of years is being honoured - we get the movie two days earlier in Sweden than in the US. December 13. :D

24. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
  25. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    91 days!!!(?)