main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Discussion Thread -- Untagged Spoilers Within

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Dec 13, 2016.

1. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    The wisecrack made me thing about "Apology accepted, Captain Needa" in The Empire Strikes Back...

Kahara likes this.
  2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm sure I said this, but I loved the Vader-Dad-joke. I mean, Anakin had some fairly humorous lines particularly in The Clone Wars. And Vader made other wise cracks and dry humor in the OT (as yahiko mentioned one, but also "I hope so, for your sake. The emperor is not as forgiving as I am"; "All too easy"; "We would be honoured if you would join us"; and "I'm altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further" - most aren't really 'HAHA funny', but they do show a dark, menacing, self-aware type of 'humour') not to mention in Legends and some of the more recent comics. Vader 'toyed' with people a lot in the OT (his lightsaber battles with Luke come to mind) so I think he was very much toying with Krennic. I saw it as Vader showing him Krennic was really nothing but a punchline to him.

Edit: I missed this

Well, technically C-3PO and R2-D2 are both still the two characters to make appearances, but yes, Anthony Daniels still holds the honor of being credited in every single Star Wars film

Kahara, Lady_Misty and yahiko like this.
  3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Good thing Anthony Daniels didn't gain a bunch of weight in the last forty years. :p I guess the powers-that-be could have transferred C3PO's memory and vocalization programing into a 4B-EG-6 droid (big boxy power droids). Even Porkins could have squeezed into one of those.

4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I totally love the Vader dad joke. It makes me laugh harder every time I hear it. I think it's so great because not only is it a dad joke, but it's a double entendre which makes it even better.

Kahara, Lady_Misty and jcgoble3 like this.
  5. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I need to see this again and in full.

6. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Oh yes, you do :) I'm on my fourth viewing and I can tell you that the amount of detail packed into every single shot is amazing.

*raises hand as a fan of the Vader zinger*

I agree that there was something slightly off about Vader's movements in the film, as there was about cgi Tarkin and Leia. I guess it's the tradeoff for resurrecting old characters on screen. I didn't mind though, especially for Vader. His appearances in the film are just sooooo good that the slight differences didn't matter to me.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  7. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
  8. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    That was really cool! Thanks for sharing, divapilot!

9. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    That was a wonderfully nerdy read and a great way to start my day :D

10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm sorry. I saw this on facebook and I had to re-upload it here (with a word edited out). It is just too darn relatable

[​IMG]

11. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Saw Rogue One in full for the first time, last night.

Got a Rescue on Fractalus vibe when the commandeered Imperial shuttle provided covering fire and picked up the heroes on Eadu.

12. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    So I saw Rogue One again for the umpteenth time last night (it actually gets better with every viewing) and I'm curious to hear from everyone how this movie has inspired you for fanfic. I've seen some great RO-inspired stories here, but there were just a handful of them. Okay, I guess that the fact that everyone dies at the end kinda limits the options for sequel stories :p but besides what one could write about the characters (e.g. Baze and Chirrut's backstory) I find myself wanting to write a million things taking place in the RO locations, especially Jedha and the Ring of Kafrene outpost, because the worldbuilding is so outstanding. What do y'all think?

13. yahiko

Nov 12, 2015
    My current fiction takes place few years before RO/ANH and is telling a story about the creation of the Rebellion. After watching the movie, it sure gave me inspiration to go on.
    For instance, seeing the Star Destroyer above Jedha helped me writing my previous chapter and I plan to mention some RO characters in future chapters.

14. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

The "everyone dies" factor is precisely what has limited my own inspiration for writing any Rogue One-based fanfic. A Baze and Chirrut backstory would certainly be very cool to read, though I know I personally would go into it with a bittersweet pang of sorts, knowing what eventually happens to them! :_| But I agree, the locations are absolutely fantastic and beg to be explored further, and I'm glad to have them on my fanfic radar, so to speak. I know at least one author here ( Raissa Baiard ) has mentions/descriptions of Jedha and Scarif in recent stories (not sure if we're allowed to link here) and has explored some of the implications of the destruction that took place on both worlds. So yes, even if all the characters are gone, the worlds introduced still seem to have quite a lot of potential for future stories.

(À propos the "everyone dies" motif, since that was discussed earlier: I will say just personally that that has never been the easiest sort of story for me to digest—though if that is going to happen in a film or story, I thought this one did it right.)

15. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000

Well, I loved Scarif as a location! Weird place to put an archives though...humidity + salt air ≠ happy archival records. I'm also intrigued by that place where Galen Erso had those engineers; don't remember the name of the planet. We got to see quite a few places in the new movie...Jyn's childhood home, Coruscant, the space station, the prison planet...

And I'm not a fan of "everyone dies," either...it can be lazy writing ("can't figure out how to wrap this up, so let's just kill everyone"). In this particular case, yes, it made sense. It was still depressing.

brodiew, Chyntuck, yahiko and 4 others like this.
  16. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Mistress_Renata, I believe the planet with Galen and the Engineers was Eadu.

And yes, now that you mention it, a tropical seaside planet does seem like a bit of an odd choice from a conservational standpoint—but I guess they have a very tightly climate-controlled environment inside the archives, as indeed is the case in many Earth institutions. Indeed, that kind of robot-arm retrieval system (or, well, a version of it) exists in some Earth institutions too (see, for example, the Mansueto Library at the University of Chicago). I have to wonder if that library was part of the inspiration for some of the movie's archive sequences!

And agreed, it was immensely depressing. Well done, and I loved that everyone played a role and no one died in vain—but it was all very, very sad at the same time, and not the sort of thing I personally would have an easy time writing. :(

17. yahiko

Nov 12, 2015
    It is a great thing everyone died in the end. No love story!... Sorry girls :p

Lady_Misty likes this.
  18. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    This girl is perfectly fine with that and not sorry at all. :p

Chyntuck and yahiko like this.
  19. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I was happy there was no love story. Don't get me wrong, I love a love story, but it was nice to have a female hero who wasn't motivated by a relationship.

Thumper09, Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  20. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Excellent questions, Chyntuck. Your brainstorming is getting bunnies jumping in my head. Chirrut and Baze are old enough to remember the Jedi, if not interact with them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't they on Jheda as temple guardians or some such.

One of my favorite characters was Cassian Andor. He's a bit of a grumpy cat, but it could be fun to explore earlier missions he had with the rebellion. Or, a story telling how Cassian acquired and rewired K2-S0.

Random cooky question question regarding Rogue One: Why did Krennick park his shuttle so far away from the Erso homestead? Ominous approach is my guess.

Chyntuck likes this.
  21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I was quite happy to see no real love story too (and assuming girls only go to the movies to see romance is huge problem that I'm glad to see slowly start changing).

I actually like the "everyone dies" motif, and I too think it was well done in the movie, plus it really made sense given what RO spills into (literally and figuratively A New Hope). And I really liked that it was truly a 'stand alone' movie. However, that, plus the fact that we never really get to know any of the characters very well, just didn't lend much to the muse for me. I've had a couple one-shots, but no ideas or motivation for any sort of epic canon backstory or AU with the (many) central characters.

Chyntuck likes this.
  22. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Not to mention the guy she spent most her time with was ordered to assassinate her father (yes they had a touching death scene that could be seen as a 'what could have been' but that doesn't change the fact he was ordered to kill him) and she didn't get to know the other men in their little group well enough to probably want to hook up with them.

And i think a romantic subplot would have slowed things down or taken away from the movie.

Chyntuck and mavjade like this.
  23. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000

I'd need to see it again, but the ground seemed very rocky (volcanic?) Maybe the terrain wasn't stable enough?

Lady_Misty and brodiew like this.
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Technically she was motivated by a relationship; the relationship with her father.

Manner. You don't just park your shuttle at the front door of the person you are visiting or planning to kidnap.

Lady_Misty, Chyntuck and brodiew like this.
  25. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

^:)^