main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Deleted/Missing Scenes Thread!

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Avnar, Dec 15, 2016.

1. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Yeah I would love to see that as well, its fallen a bit out of fashion in recent years but really I would argue SW like LOTR is well suited to it as you have a large hardcore fanbase who will buy multiple versions, much more so that say the Marvel films.

It does become a question of whether this material would actually works within the film as it exists at the moment. The comments in that Youtube video do sound positive in that regard saying it was just too graphic although watching Rogue One as it is now its not that easy to see where this stuff would fit in. Looking at the cut as it is now I actually think the point that could benefit most from extra material is the jump from Rey being freed and the arrival at Yavin, that's just too sudden for me as could use either footage of her in transit or something else happening in another plot in-between.

If it can't be worked into the film one alternative might be to move a bit beyond just showing deleted scenes and create a mini film about Jyn/Saw to include as an extra or perhaps even a separate release.

Avnar and Sarge like this.
  2. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Rey? I mean Jyn.

Avnar likes this.
  3. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Did we ever get confirmation that Oliver Ford Davies (Sio Bibble) was on set and shot a scene? There were a couple of rumors that floated around suggesting that he did. Not an actual scene by himself, but more as an extra in the background of a shot or two.

4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

:confused: Sio Bibble in R1?

5. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
  6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    DON'T - TEMPT ME, FRODO!

I'd take extended editions of every Star Wars film!

As much as I love ROTS, for example, I'd love to see the cut Padme material restored into the film. Do that for all 8 films and my reaction would be =P~

7. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012

A scene between those two would've been interesting, both have paid the price of the Clone Wars in terms of loss and physical injury.

But honestly I would've preferred a scene between Leia and Bail, that was a really massive opportunity missed.

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    This! Those scenes are great, and I wish they could have been in the movie. I love that Padmé was one of the people who started up what would eventually become the Alliance.
    And now, with Genevieve O'Reilly playing Mon Mothma in Rogue One I want those scenes back even more. I feel they really set up the brief scenes between Bail and Mon Mothma in R1.

9. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    I don't buy that the Vader/Saw scene was ever in the movie to begin with, but it would have been cool to see. The visual guide said Saw got his lungs messed up from Geonosis, but losing his legs to Vader is a possibility.

10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Also, I wished the Yoda landong on Dagobah scene was kept.

I understand why this stuff was cut, but I wish George could make an optional longer cut like LOTR/The Hobbit.

Snax Rebo and Avnar like this.
  11. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    I wish we got a directors cut for TFA. I think it would have fixed a lot of pacing problems in the movie.

11-4D likes this.
  12. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I don't know if this would be categorized under reshoots or deleted scenes, so I'm going to post this in both.

There is an important scene missing.

During the Battle of Scarif, when Bodhi finally establishes communication with the Rebel ships and begins to tell Admiral Raddus that they have the plans and to prepare for a transmission to receive them, he says it so matter-of-factly and with such jubilance and excitement. Yet, there is absolutely no way he could have known that Jyn and/or Cassian had actually gotten the plans at that point without first being told by one of them. So where is the scene where Jyn or Cassian communicated that to Bodhi? It's not like Bodhi says to Raddus "Hey look, I heard from Cassian a little while ago, this is probably going to happen, it likely has already happened, so be ready and make it so that you can receive the transmission when it comes". No, he tells Raddus they definitely have the plans. But in the context we see in the movie that isn't something he could have possibly known with such certainty because there is no scene where he is told that. And in some ways, in the context that we see, that seems like a very irresponsible move to make to tell the Rebel fleet that the mission objective has been accomplished when in fact he couldn't have been sure of that. There had to be a scene that was taken out of the final cut of the movie that indicated Bodhi knew for certain that Cassian or Jyn had gotten the plans.

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    They appeared on screen talking to each other thru their commlinks, so I think it's safe to assume there was a brief conversation that we didn't see. That's not a big deal to me. And if the scene was shot, it may have been cut just because it wasn't interesting or exciting. I'd rather make a minor assumption about a simple plot point than spoil the pacing of the climactic battle.

Gigoran Monk, MotivateR5D4 and Avnar like this.
  14. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Right, and that's obviously the assumption you have to make, is that it happened but we just didn't see it. Still though, I have a feeling it was deleted.

Because there is another scene with Bodhi that seems like it was cut as well. It's when he first learns about the master switch and begins describing it to the other guys in the ship so they can go out and find it, it kind of goes back and forth from Bodhi to that other guy, then it abruptly cuts to Bodhi and he yells "Then go!" and waves them to leave. But there's no context for the "then" part of that. It's as if it's missing an acknowledgement from the other guy in order for Bodhi to feel the need to say "Then go" versus "Now go" or something like that. It's real subtle, and I can probably describe it better if I could somehow re-watch the scene as I type this. But every time I see RO that line just doesn't quite feel in a proper context.

I just feel like a lot of Bodhi's on screen time was mangled.

whostheBossk likes this.
  15. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    When the death trooper pics up the storm trooper Barbie doll you can see the Erso house in flames yet we don't see how that happened. Maybe a deleted scene will show them raid the house and drop a grenade or something.

16. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I want an alternate cut that doesn't have every major character die via explosion. The only main character that doesn't die that way is K2. Everyone else dies either by explosion, or Death Star explosion.

AplagueOnTheWise likes this.
  17. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I've haven't seen R1 since December but didn't Baze get shot to death? I could be remembering it wrong but I thought he went down in a blaze of glory.

18. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Nope he blew up from a Grenada dropped by a deathtrooper.

19. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    Now that you say it I do remember him going out like that. So I guess everyone does get blown up in the end... that blows :p

20. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Well, yeah. But after being shot multiple times.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Poor Grenada. I wonder if their government officials will also take to social media to inquire about what happened to their country...

22. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    RO deleted scenes are likely from a version of the film that was completely different, especially in terms of Jyn's character. I doubt we'll see their release for some time.

23. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Just one more reason why LFL shouldn't rule out a Rogue One prequel. :)

whostheBossk likes this.
  24. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  25. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Now I really want to see that scene.

TCF-1138 likes this.