main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Finn and Rey's Cat Cantina and Pizza Parlor (The Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Kahara likes this.
  2. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    And now we know where the origin of pigs in a blanket comes from! Those crescent thingys sound SO yummy, as does the gibanica (which I think I just spelled wrong). The worse thing about cooking for big holidays, I think, is that you do all this prep and shopping for days (4 salads, Ewok Poet! AND the crescents!), and then people sit down to the table and it's all gone in 15 minutes. (Or at least it is in my house).

The figures are interesting, Gamiel. Pretty uniforms, with the blossoms embroidered on the bloomers, though I am curious at the thinking behind it. Red was a royal color and expensive, which explains the guards of the British Army, then came trench warfare of WWI, which explains the khaki color... of course, bright colors were used during the age of powder to distinguish between units on the battlefield through the clouds of smoke (literally "the fog of battle"), and colored heraldry on Knights of the Middle Ages. So again, why would an army choose pink? Those are beautifully detailed, not just the painting, but the casting as well.

So many plot bunnies, so little time...

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  3. A Blind Prophet

A Blind Prophet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2016
    i know what you mean...

i was curious about the pink as well. what kind of culture would result in... that. i mean, it's certainly non-threatening and stands out, but beyond that...

as for a color suggestion, i was thinking a pastel blue might be nice to go with it. maybe a robins egg only much lighter.

Kahara likes this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Regarding "why pink", some possibility:
    * Cherry blossoms is considered good fortune and therefor pink is a colour associated with good fortune.
    * Pink, or at least cheery blossom pink, is an expensive colour and you show how rich you are by having your troops wear it.
    * Cherry trees in bloom or cherry blossoms are the symbol for your organisation/country/group and you wear your colours proudly.
    * The other guys had already taken most of the other colours in the palette and you did not want to go multy colour like some tasteless bourgeoisie.
    * Non of the other guys where using pink or any colour that could be mistaken for it. Making your troops stand out and be noticed when people see them, thereby giving you free publicity.
    * You happen to like pink and/or a cherry blossoms motifs.

5. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Although Cherry Blossoms don't last very long, they are ephemeral...not very good symbology to keep up troop morale. :p One good wind and "poof!" They're all on the ground.

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Pink is, however, the color of the sky at dawn—symbolizing that your troops are endued with all the energy and splendor of the rising sun. (Just brainstorming here. :D )

7. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Following on from Mistress Renata's line about royal colours, a couple of RL ones were due to the rarity of the animal. So this pink could be from some form of rare fauna that means the dye is associated with high society and elite troops.

Has anyone mentioned that the pink colour might match the topography that the troops can be camouflaged in.

There could be a guano reason, like the Minister of War's wife loves cherry blossom pink, and he can deny her nothing; her very own special troop might be kitted out like this (while the rest of the military is in more sensible colors); the government has no money for new uniforms, and the individual or corporation that stepped in with the funds, had a stipulation.

EDIT: the first baby steps of allowing a new demographic to enroll in the military - gender, racial, speciest, clones, androids...

Gamiel likes this.
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    You make it sound like pink is not a sensible colour

Also: jump to 0:40 and preparera for [face_rofl]

9. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    After a terrible mixup at the depot, St Agnes' School for Wayward Girls were sent the uniforms intended for Elite Unit 9, and...

Chyntuck, jcgoble3, Kahara and 3 others like this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [face_laugh]

11. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
  12. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    This is why when I use Google Translate to email my cousins in Spain I translate it into Spanish and then take the Spanish version and translate it back into English. Often I have to change the words I use so it can make sense.

jcgoble3, Kahara and Lady_Misty like this.
  13. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    S'up everyone,

I wish to apologise for my extended absence (I know, I know, no-one noticed anyway. Just humour me, will you?).

I do have a good reason. I have started a new job on the other side of the world from Japan. My family will move on after me, we have a hundred and one things to sort out - new car, house, visas, schools, moving furniture. The job's going fine, I suppose. But I'm alone and writing again.

As for pink; did anyone know it is only in recent times that it became associated with babies and girly stuff? Used to be considered a strong boyish colour - pastel blue was once the one for baby girls. Not that long ago either, Victorian times I think. Read that somewhere. Don't know anything about the background story of those figs, but it is possible if they come from an alien world their eyes see in different spectrums and pink can be the colour of blood, too?

So, what did I miss? Is WarmNyota back? EP still prolific? Azure still brilliant? And Findswoman still figuring everything out before the endings? :cool:

K

Chyntuck, Gamiel, Kahara and 4 others like this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Kuriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Hmmm...my guess was that you were the type who wasn't showing up until you had something to show...as in, a story. Looks like my reasoning makes no sense this time.

What country are you moving to? I...always admire people who are mentally and physically capable of such huge decisions and changes. I would melt down if I had to leave this apartment, even the idea of getting a new bed freaks me out a bit. You're brave.

And thanks for those kind words. Now, please, wish me to be the same at work. [face_blush] [face_cow]

Kahara, Kurisan and Findswoman like this.
  15. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    It started in thr 1920's.

Kahara and Kurisan like this.
  16. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    leiamoody Uhuh, that was more recent than I thought, or perhaps it happened earlier in the UK.

Ewok Poet [:D] I missed you. Yeh, the move is a big deal, but it's for the kids, so I just get on with it, solving one problem at a time. You'd be amazed what you can achieve when you put your mind to it and exercise sheer willpower.

But yeah, after this, no more big globe-trotting adventures lol. I'm back in the pretty English countryside. What have you been up to?

Best wishes for your work!!

K

Kahara, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  17. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Welcome back, Kurisan! I think I heard that, too. Pink was considered a more aggressive color, blue was gentler. Then, parents started dressing their baby girls in pink (just like nowadays girls are being names Madison, Bailey, Taylor, etc.). I'm waiting for the backlash, when boys are being named Bello, Kristy and Hannah. [face_laugh] Although I have seen a lot more men wearing pink. It's a flattering color on a lot of complexions, why not? I do love a pink tie with a dark suit.

And that TOTALLY needs to go into the plot bunny thread!

Gamiel, that video from the Netherlands did literally have me laughing out loud a few times! I think the cat was alarmed.

No news here.

Gamiel and Kahara like this.
  18. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    [face_laugh]:_|:_|
    And that's all I have to say about that.

Lady_Misty [face_laugh] I've seen a few of those, but I hadn't seen that one! There's one that is One Day More from Les Mis and it's hilarious.
    That just goes to show you how badly google translate works, but it usually will get the point across in a pinch.

Kurisan - Welcome back!! Good luck with all of the remaining moving stuff! I may be facing something similar in the coming months so I've been doing research on moving across the world, it's quite... daunting. If we end up doing it, I might hit you up for some advice! :D

Lady_Misty and Kahara like this.
  19. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    That was a great video, Gamiel

20. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Wow. That is just fantastic!

And welcome back Kurisan! I bet that sort of move would be insane!

Really? You're thinking about leaving Trumpton? (I can't say I blame you!).

As for me. I think I may have gotten plan B figured out if I don't get into the University of Leicester. I got an email from the prof who I used as a reference on my master's application. He apologized for taking so long in sending my reference letter, but he also sent me a copy and it was amazing. He also basically said he was very disappointed that I didn't apply to do my master's of History at the university where I am now. He said I would have gotten in and he would have been more than happy to be my supervisor. As sick and tired as I am with my current university and living in the hell of Hoth, doing my thesis under him would be such an opportunity, part of me wants to take him up on his word. I could PROBABLY get a thesis published under him and I could very easily go on to do a PhD using that thesis as a start. HOWEVER, I never intended to go into History, as much as I love it. I just see myself going more the Information studies route (which Museum studies is a part of). But I don't know. Maybe if I don't get into Leicester, it will be a sign.

So, yeah, there's my existential crisis for this evening.

21. A Blind Prophet

A Blind Prophet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2016
    there are certainly worse ones to have briannakin. hope you get whatever the actual best one is for you.

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Question: Should I just quote the whole pink armour discussion in the plot Bunny thread?

Ewok Poet, jcgoble3 and leiamoody like this.
  23. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I know. It truly is a first world academic problem. Thanks

Part of me knows a MA under him would be brutal but it would be so interesting and worth it. You ever get those teachers or professors who just *get* the way you learn and the way your brain works? That's him for me. I'll do better under him than doing the whole distance learning at Leicester thing. I did the whole self-taught classes back in high school and had enough self-discipline to do THE MOST BORING class required... and I got it done in a month. So I know I can do it, I just do better with the whole having a lecture to go to and a prof to annoy/have mental breakdowns in their offices. But I also have to put aside the short term and think about where my life is going, and I want to go in a direction were my current university can't take me.

Sorry for the word-vomit guys. Getting it all out to someone helps. Though I know I just need to wait and see what Leicester's decision is before I get too worked up.

Chyntuck likes this.
  24. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    YESYESYESYESYESYESYES!!!!! Why is that even a question?! :p Of course it belongs in the plot bunny thread! :D

Ewok Poet likes this.
  25. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Ewok Poet, I get you on the PCOS thing. I had laser hair removal and it grew back. Sigh.

I've been away for a while dealing with health stuff. Good news is, I got a formal rediagnosing of my Lupus, which for years has gone untreated because all the doctors between the original one and now have said I don't have it. Well, test results are in, and I have ANA-negative Lupus. It's rare, but it happens. So I started treatment for that today.

Bad news is, I've been having hip pain off and on since 2013, entirely set to "on" since about mid-November. Finally went to the doctor last month and he said he thought I have femoroacetabular impingement syndrome (try saying that one multiple times!), and a subsequent visit to an orthopedist confirmed that I've got an extra growth of bone on my left hip that pinches my femur in certain positions. They tried a cortisone shot directly into the hip joint (which hurt pretty bad, even numbed). Actually made things worse and didn't improve anything. So they did an MRI on it with a lovely injection of radioactive dye, again directly into the hip joint. Ugh. MRI showed that I have tearing in the acetabular labrum on the left side. (Read: cartilage in hip socket is torn up.) So I'm meeting with a surgeon on Tuesday. Given the Lupus and that fact that both times I've had surgery in recent years, I've been subsequently hospitalised with an uncommon strain of pneumonia usually only found in hospitals, I will probably be spending a few days bored out of my miiiiiind. This is the point where I express that while I don't like our government, I like, for the present, being disabled and having Medicaid because it isn't a choice between being crippled by my leg or being crippled by frightening amounts of debt.

In other news, I've seen Rogue One five times. And I'm sort of in love with Cassian Andor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.