main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Trust goes both ways: The bond between Jyn and Cassian

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by cerealbox, Dec 17, 2016.

1. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016

This is pretty much my take on the matter. It's okay that the romance wasn't made explicit, but I'll hold on to the idea that they kissed in some of their final moments till I'm cold in my grave

I bet, wherever he is, it's close to where Kanan, Ezra, and the Ghost Crew are. And we'll find out for sure eventually on the show.

Ricardo Funes and mirrorbright like this.
  2. mirrorbright

mirrorbright Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 14, 2016
    Some more beautiful fanart :) all VERY shippy :p
    [​IMG]
    (x)

[​IMG]
    (x)

[​IMG]
    (x)

[​IMG]
    (x)

[​IMG]
    (x)

[​IMG]
    (x)

[​IMG]
    (x)

[​IMG]
    (x)

[​IMG]
    (x)

3. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    There's a super-creepy "older man/ much younger girl" vibe to a few of those that simply doesn't exist in the films (indeed, Jyn strikes me as older than Cassian in the movie). Goes to show that even if you have equality between a male and a female protagonist, some fans will inject more conventional gender notions into it.

4. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    While her hard life might've forced her to grow up faster than she should've, Jyn is actually twenty-two during Rogue One (Rebel Dossier), Cassian is about twenty-six (The Ultimate Visual Guide, by way of Wookieepeida).

We all process things though our own subjective lenses. Case in point, I'm pretty sure that the interpretation the fan art is suggesting is an example of reading too much into the movie (and the novelization, for that matter), but then, since I wasn't expecting it, it is easy to utilize confirmation bias.

5. mirrorbright

Oct 14, 2016

what...? i'm sorry but i fail to see that here. artists have certain style (like the one from hoth, that's literally their way of drawing). they have artistic freedom to make whatever they imagine. nevertheless, i don't think it was anyone's intention to create that kind of image. and i don't think it's fair to accuse talented people of such thing, they spend a lot of time and effort into making these.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  6. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    I wouldn't actually be surprised if Draven ends up being used in a future anthology film, if you have something vaguely similar to Rogue One showing more behind the scenes details of the Rebellion then he's really perfect for that isn't he? Petrie certainly has the acting chops and the character makes sense being kept more separate from the main OT heroes as more of a spymaster in the shadows.

7. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Yes, artists have total freedom to interpret the world as they wish to interpret it. Just as I have total freedom to interpret their interpretations. :)

And in that context, I see a lot of those artists enhancing Cassian's physical size and age so as to suggest a level of dominance. That seems clear to me in three of four of the pieces. Not in the others.

And that's not a commentary on their talent. It's just my take on the subtext of their work, conscious or otherwise. And I see it a lot in the fan art community.

8. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I like that there was no romance plotline in this movie as I don't think it would serve this particular story. That being said, Jyn and Cassian are now possibly my favorite ship of the new canon. Their scenes together were so good! There was certainly an "what if?" subtext in their relationship. I mean, it's all the implied things they could have been but weren't because of the tragedy of their sacrifices. :(

9. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Was it? The novelization does indicate that Jyn made a huge impact on Cassian, but, to be honest, I didn't get the vibe from her. (Bear in mind here that I think the TFA tie-ins strongly suggest that Finn and Rey have some kind of sparks, or at leas that that was the intent somewhere down the line, so I'm not exactly of the "if its not in the movie, it's not a valid theory" kind of person.

10. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    I don't know, I didn't read the novelization. I liked their relationship on screen, and Jyn clearly made an impact on Cassian to me.
    Not sure what Finn/Rey has to do with this. Rey also had an impact on Finn I believe, but I liked Finn/Poe better. John Boyega and Oscar Isaac had an insane chemistry together!

oncafar likes this.
  11. mirrorbright

Oct 14, 2016

i'm saying again - that's artistic freedom. and i have no problem with it, you do. let's agree to disagree on this.

Ricardo Funes and Gigoran Monk like this.
  12. mirrorbright

Oct 14, 2016

i think he also made an impact on her, it's just that her story (through novelization especially) has a lot of focus on relationships with her father and saw, first and foremost. while with cassian, there was more space to explore his thoughts regarding jyn (as she was initially his mission). that's why (in my opinion) it's more explicit with him. in jyn's case - it's definitely shown in a subtler way. i see it as ... galen's message and destruction of jedha started the change in her, but it was their confrontation on eadu that made made her re-think everything. once they set aside their differences, she starts seeing him as someone who sticks around and someone who always comes back for her, which is a big deal because she never really had that.

13. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Nothing drives fan art like a hinted at relationship.

14. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Maybe. I'm not sure she she made it to the point of consideration, personally. Like a lot of stuff not outright stated, it's left to speculation.

15. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I would like to agree to disagree, but that's not the case. I agree with you 100% about artistic freedom. But part of that involves the freedom to criticize art. :)

Including the fan variety.

16. kylorobes

kylorobes Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 3, 2016
    The chemistry between them was intense

oncafar and mirrorbright like this.
  17. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Diego Luna is 37, Felicity is 33.

Cassian is 26, Jyn is 22.

This proves that it is perfectly ok for an artist to show an older Cassian together with a yonger Jyn, because that was actually the case.
    And also proves that there are some people that may look older/younger than their actual age.

So this criticism on fan art is ridiculous and only happens in our own lenses.

18. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    And Diego is 5'10", Felicity is 5'3", so it's only natural for the art to show him taller/bigger.

19. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    same. finn and rey didn't set off my 'romance bells' but finn and poe definitely did. (not that you meant romantically necessarily)

La Calavera likes this.
  20. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    And I had the inverse experience, which goes to show how subjective this stuff is, I guess.

21. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    yeah i've heard people say that they thought rey and finn was sexually explosive or something... but i mainly saw something like leia and luke in ANH... something where it's like "oh it's supposed to be romantic or something and it totally isn't." i was seriously pleased with han/leia > luke/leia because there was no "spark" with luke/leia.

22. captaingasma

captaingasma Jedi Youngling

Feb 11, 2017
    Exactly! They included the elevator shot for a reason, but the way that their relationship was so intense yet still totally left to interpretation was just done in the best way possible. Romance wasn't forced but their feelings for each other wheather you thought them to be romantic or platonic weren't underplayed, just done perfectly=D=

23. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    This is definitely the most beautiful non-fighting shot of the whole movie... It's sad to see both of them die but at least we know that the plans were transmitted safely, lending new meaning to "A New Hope"!
    [​IMG]

24. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    ^ That scene still breaks my heart. It was beautiful but tragic, because you knew they would soon be reduced to ashes.

It's funny that before I watched the movie I was totally in the camp "they all should die", even though I unenthusiastically believed that the main characters at least would make out alive.

But now that I watched the movie, I’m like “I wish they lived!” :(

25. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Jyn and Cassian's bond is one reason this is a beautiful story. The other is the love her father had for her.

Gigoran Monk and mirrorbright like this.