main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit One Canon - Merging Legends and the New Canon - TFA spoilers, very much so

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Jan 8, 2016.

1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Nice job! This bit from TFU was the hardest to mesh with canon for me, but I think this makes a lot of sense.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Mon and Bail were clearly going to coordinate with Kenobi when the Council said no to moving against Scarif. This was even before Mon knew what Jyn was doing.

So I have little issue with the multiple plans from the side of Mon and Bail. That we had a scene in Rogue One showing Mon and Bail making their own plans really pleased me as they were hardly ones to take the Council's decision on board when it was clearly the wrong one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darkslayer and spicer like this.
  3. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    When do you think Vader escapes Alliance hands after TFUII?

4. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    The Dantooine Rebel base was abandoned in Legends because a listening device was found there: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dantooine_base/Legends . There is no indication it had anything to do with Vader (Almost definitely not as Vader would have recognized the Dantooine lie in ANH that Leia told).

Much as it's a downer ending, my conjecture was that Vader never made it to Dantooine base. Fett rescued him mid-flight and promptly disintegrated Starkiller II and Juno Eclipse before Vader could object. This incident is a sore point with Vader (he wanted them alive), so much so that he still reminds Fett of it years later: "No disintegrations."

Darkslayer and PCCViking like this.
  5. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    The easiest explanation of the no disintegrations line to me isn't that Fett was particularly known as a disintegrator, but that it's a standard thing to mention to a bounty hunter when you want the body intact. AC Crispin's books often had lines like, "It was a normal bounty, no disintegrations."

6. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    While that may be true, Vader does pay special attention to Fett when he gives the line (not Bossk or the others). It does seem that would be more than just Fett has a reputation for disintegrating.

Also, since this thread revolves around One Canon and no closure is ever given in Legends to Starkiller 2 and Juno Eclipse, Fett killing them is a really quick way of showing why they don't seem to be in any OT content, Legends or canon, at all.

And Vader can't reach Dantooine base at all--otherwise he would have said something in ANH when Leia said the base was still on Dantooine.

Darkslayer likes this.
  7. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Not to mention he'd have wrecked half the base.

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Thus abandoning it, methinks.

9. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    from Star Wars Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine--

Leia nodded. "That's good. Now," she said, all business again. "The list we need to recover is on Dantooine."

Dusque heard Finn let out a deep breath and she wondered why he had been holding it the whole time. Probably afraid I was going to back out, she thought.

"We had a base there for some time," Leia explained, "until someone betrayed us. Fortunately, we were able to evacuate the entire complex in under a day. In that haste, however, we were forced to abandon and destroy some supplies and information. This list of contacts and sympathizers was encoded into a holocron by several different agents, some of whom are no longer alive. No one person has ever known all the names in order to protect the contacts-this holocron is the only place all these names appear together. Several Rebels were able to hide the holocron within the ruins of an ancient Jedi temple for safekeeping just days before Alderaan was destroyed." She paused, and a shadow crossed her face. "These are dark times for us."

Vader is not mentioned as being involved in the Dantooine base evacuation at all.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  10. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    That book was hard work for me to read but that is priceless information. He probably never made it to Dantooine, but the 'betrayal' may have been by the Dark Apprentice, or by Starkiller. That's interesting.

11. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I wouldn't be too quick to assign who the traitor is now because I'm sure the Rebels show will almost definitely cover time on Dantooine base and it's subsequent evacuation. The One Canon project will need to incorporate this as well. If Filoni decides to take a similar "traitor" route regarding compromising Dantooine, it could end up being someone like Ezra.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  12. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I very much like that idea, too. I'm very easy, definitely. I'm generally focused on Aftermath III presently, I'll be honest.

13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm eagerly looking forward to it. (And I still think it's hilarious that you seem most concerned about the possible death of Wedge instead of all the differences in the overall galactic situation).

Sinrebirth likes this.
  14. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I can deal with any galactic political mess. Deaths of beloved pilots? I will not cope whatsoever!

15. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Oh, I get dreading Wedge's fate on an emotional level. It's just silly to consider it the biggest problem from a RETCONNING perspective. It's not as though he didn't already have a fake counterpart.

16. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    To be fair, I read Aftermath I with absolute terror whenever Rae and Wedge interacted. And he got shot.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  17. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

People complained about Wedge's portrayal in Aftermath, but he did survive being shot. Several times.

Darkslayer and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  18. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    As far as pilots and One Canon goes, I'm imagining a scenario where Evaan Verlaine has poor Keyan Farlander tied up and locked away in some forgotten room on Yavin, while she takes his place on the Y-Wing on Gold Squadron.

Palpatine: Mas Amedda? What are you still doing here? I thought I told you to retire, Sate Pestage is vizier now.
    Mas Amedda: He was killed by Admiral Krennel... Or was he killed on Byss? Never mind, I'm vizier again, no Pestage around for now.
    Palpatine: What...? Oh, never mind, carry on then Mas.

(Sate Pestage is then seen tied up and locked away at wherever Keyan Farlander is).

It also just occurred to me that the Mayor of Sernpidal was really Kes Dameron. Han vaguely remembered him from the Battle of Endor but couldn't place the name.

Ok, I'd better stop making Legends jokes now :p

SpecForce Trooper and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  19. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    No, the Mayor of Sernpidal was Lor San Tekka's Legends-timeline counterpart. We've already decided this.

(Hilariously, my phone's autocomplete offered "Sernpidal" as one of its top options for following "Mayor of").

jSarek, Darth Zack, Revanfan1 and 3 others like this.
  20. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Ironically I think I was one of the earliest proponents of this idea (can't find the post now) :p

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I remember suggesting that as well.

22. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Not quite One Canon related, but I remember that the list of Luke's ex-girlfriends in Legends was quite long. I'm not sure if he had any in canon, because within One Canon it would be even larger. Now Marvel has announced:
    Star Wars: Screaming Citadel, with Luke teaming up with Dr. Aphra. It's still unclear if they will date or have any romance at all, but reddit is already speculating about it.

23. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Y-wing's are two seaters! Keyan and Evaan can share!

Palpatine loves having two of things. Two Grand Viziers makes sense in that respect. And both of them are caught on Coruscant.

X-wing comics take place after Aftermath 2 when Rax withdraws his faction to Jakku and Coruscant steps forward with the recapture of Kuat, after all... Mas Amedda can remain free for Aftermath plots and Pestage gets taken down.

PCCViking and sidv88 like this.
  24. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    So Sinrebirth what is Krayt up to in your One Canon timeline?

25. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I probably mentioned this earlier, but I think it could come down to the fates of Rax and Thrawn, depending of course, Thrawn's fate in Rebels (which could still help my theory).

In Legends, Thrawn was still a Senior Captain for sometime after A New Hope. In Choices of One, he was still that rank, although by the time of Side Trip, he was Grand Admiral. That took place shortly before The Empire Strikes Back. Contrast that with his canon counterpart, who's a Grand Admiral before ANH.

How does Rax fit in? Simple. He has a Legends counterpart. My theory is that Rax's Legends counterpart died on some mission (perhaps the same or similar mission that could cost canon! Thrawn), thus preventing him from becoming The Operator and playing the NR against the Imperial Warlords. That would mean no decisive battle at Jakku, and depending on Aftermath III, no emergence of Snoke. Legends proceeds as we know.

In Canon, Thrawn is already a Grand Admiral, so he is assigned similar if not the same missions as Legends! Rax. Only he dies, or something happens to him. Rax is free to put his plans into motion (as we see in the Aftermath Trilogy so far).

Rax's plan basically caused the Empire to collapse at a quicker rate than Legends, so we don't see Krennel or Zsinj. I'm sure Rax would have had a plan to deal with them one way or the other. With his absence in Legends, while the Empire still collapses, it takes longer thanks to the Thrawn Campaign and the events of Dark Empire. Then we see Daala pull a Gallius Rax with one swift stroke in Darksaber, but she doesn't have what it takes to form the Imperial Remnant into the First Order (assuming, of course, Rax survives the events of the Aftermath Trilogy).

Now, this theory does overlook some smaller skirmishes: it doesn't take into account Bakura or the Yevetha, but we probably wouldn't see the Sacorrian Triad Starbuster plot, due to the First Order's influence. Or maybe, they "recruited" some of the Triad's scientists who would have worked on Centerpoint to work on Starkiller Base.

Darkslayer and BigAl6ft6 like this.