main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Fan Fic Pet Peeves?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by alienyouthct, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I didn't. The things come out too fast for me to follow.

2. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Or Vulcans. Lol.

3. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    That's why I formulated my personal rule about having a first draft done before I start posting. Because the in-between is the hardest part for me; how do our characters get from Point A to Point Z? And is there a logical way to squeeze in Point J, because it is a fun scene, but it needs to be there for a reason, not just padding. If I hit writer's block, at least readers aren't hanging.

4. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    What do you guys think about those "Third Skywalker" fanfiction stories? I've seen a few of them, some better written than others.

5. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I don't like it when stories have those, but that's my preference.

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I've only ever come across a couple. In general, as long as the premise is good, I think they can be done well.

7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Objectification confused for liberation.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd like the story to be different from just a re-write with another person involved. If I want ANH, I would just watch that.
    If a character lived or gave birth again later, fine.

Anakin.Skywalker and Ewok Poet like this.
  9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I once stumbled upon something on FF.net that was a rewrite of ROTJ - the scenario was the same, word for word, with just another character present in all situations, kind of like Jack Nicholson in Chinatown. I don't think Anakin.Skywalker's story is heading towards that kind of a scenario, though. :) What I saw was gooooooooooood. [face_peace]

10. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Anakin.Skywalker - unless you mean the host of Rey being Luke's daughter fics, I don't know what a "Third Skywalker" story is.

As long as it is not a poetry or song fic, I think I can handle most subjects, including whatever one of those is.

11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Third Skywalker = Padmé giving birth to triplets.

Послато са SM-J500FN уз помоћ Тапатока

Anakin.Skywalker and Sith-I-5 like this.
  12. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Thank you, Ewok'.

Not encountered one of those yet.

13. Anakin.Skywalker

Oct 11, 2016
    There's a few....not too great though....but that's imo. Mainly grammar errors.
    :) Thanks

I hate to admit this, but I ended up deleting my story. As I was writing, I realized that what I was trying to do was not write a story, but describe a relationship. Unfortunately, this relationship was constricted by the scenario I created and my writing abilities. I will have to try something else, though I am not sure I can create what my mind thinks. :) I need to think harder.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    You can write a vignette about the relationship and see if it sparks any new ideas. :) Also, it sounds like a character-driven, as opposed to plot-driven story, so if you think of some plot, it can balance it.

15. Anakin.Skywalker

Oct 11, 2016
    I don't know why I hadn't thought of that! :oops:

*bangs head against wall*

What was I thinking?! It doesn't have to be a blasted saga!

*smiles*
    Thank you, Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet likes this.
  16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Sometimes... I'm peeved with myself. These are some of my typical stupid mistakes.

- writing pull out instead of pull off - embarrassing
    - mixing up borrow and lend for no apparent reason
    - getting Us and As wrong in past tenses of certain verbs, once again, for no apparent reason
    - misspelling the word millennium, all the time
    - when really tired, mixing up think and thing
    - often being unable to detect if I should write pick, or pick up
    - not finishing a sente

17. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Are you making these mistakes in English? If it's not your first language, then there is no reason to be peeved with yourself. The fact that you're fluent enough to write in a second language is FLIPPING IMPRESSIVE!!! :cool:

18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I make the last one in all languages I can write in. But yes, the rest are specific to writing in English.

Послато са SM-J500FN уз пом

Master_Lok likes this.
  19. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    So, there. The only other language I can claim to know is French, and I am nowhere near fluent enough to write a fanfic in it. Stop beating yourself up! @};-:)

Master_Lok and Ewok Poet like this.
  20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    ....and another thing: my tendency to write BBY/BBE dates as ABY/ABE. The same happens IRL, too - with BC.

21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Going back to read a story that won an award in 2015 now that I'm more familiar with the lead and realising that the author removed ALL of their fics from the board, locked all of their threads and rage-quit. ARGH. :_|:mad:LIKE, Y U DO DAT?

Oh, and upping multiple threads in a single night/morning, because you've missed out on so.many.things...

...oh, wait, that's me. :p

22. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    X-wings that land in hangers instead of hangars. No, really, do I look like I need a fighter in my closet?

Also, aggressive impulses that are reigned in, or worse, rained in, instead of reined in. The mental image immediately pulls me out of the story, especially when rain is involved :p

23. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I have encountered the occasional police reference to heavy rain keeping a certain criminal element indoors, so if you needed to leave the house to be aggressive, and there was a storm, I could see some aggression being rained in.

Chyntuck likes this.
  24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    We totally need a grammar thread. A voluntary one, of course.

Ridley Solo likes this.
  25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Own peeve: when I have to edit a critical post, with my gloves for typing on mobile on and one simple, three-letter-word turns into something I never wanted to write. Not an expletive, but yeah. Funny, but scary at the same time. And not the first time I did it, there were two instances of **** instead of count in random threads. Yes, I can be THAT stupid. :p

EDIT: Split from the above post, because it's a somewhat corny, controversial and demi-vulgar statement.