main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge February 2017 Fanfic WORD RACE! (IT IS OVER POST YE FINAL COUNTS!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jan 22, 2017.

1. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Zero, zut, nix, nil, nuttin'. It's been a kind of crazy week. Hope to get something done tonight. :)

2. A Blind Prophet

A Blind Prophet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2016
    another small amount for now, though there's more coming. just wanted to get this bit in since it's actually done.

261 additional words: 7,405 total.

the editing creep is real. >_<

Ewok Poet likes this.
  3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I have reached the number formerly known as 13 050.

4. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    1560 words total after posting my diary

5. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    annnnd another addition.

2,655 to be added to the total: 10,080.

i wish i could count the entirety of that post in the RPF, but it was in the works since sometime in january, so alas. just what i've done in the last few days.

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  6. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Okey, dokey! Managed 2214 today, more angst in the Celtic Challenge, so a total of 7018, if I'm counting correctly. I am in awe and envy of Ewok Poet and A Blind Prophet. You're smokin', people! :eek:

7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    You did not see what Dantana Skywalker did this time last year. She got to 70K in the end or something like that.

And I still get to leave comments and participate in threads, though one can tell from my posts when I'm nearing the HEADASPLODE point.

In all seriousness, what I said last year still stands: word races are a great exercise in general, they move me in other spheres of life too, somehow. Love them! :)

8. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    yea... i'm at about half of what i wanted to be, because of an variety of problems i've had to deal with. if i'd been able to actually follow the schedule i'd wanted, i might be on pace for what ewok poet said dantana skywalker did. there are three things that i haven't even had a chance to start yet. >_<

Kahara likes this.
  9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Quantity as quantity is nothing. Quantity with quality is something, but it's a hard task. If I was not inspired pretty much all the time, I'd proudly remain here with the big fat zero I had for the first week or so. But that's just me.

EDIT: What I am trying to say is that I see this as a competition with myself, not the others, because I lack commitment and the ability to focus on one thing for too long. The point isn't to aim for that record, or to race anybody, or so I think. :) Sometimes it may happen, sometimes it won't.

I wrote 43 435 words in November 2016, and nobody knew. It was not even a word race.

jcgoble3 and Kahara like this.
  10. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    i'll have to let others be the judge of the quality of my writing, but i know what those who have read things have said, so there's that. but i do agree, quantity for the sake of quantity... just bleh. especially with writing.

another 837 words to add for now. figured i'd make note of it since i'm switching what i'm working on for now.

new total: 10,917

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  11. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Some people use "word races"/Nano to simply get something down on paper to edit afterwards, but I'm not one to judge people on how they write (I hate editing so I HAVE to do it as I go). However, I think, for some getting something down to edit is half the battle, which is why I started these.

Anyways. With two tired kitties, I managed to get to 3495. I gotta start working on a research paper, but I might actually have a decent month in terms of getting fic-stuff done.

Kahara, Ewok Poet, yahiko and 2 others like this.
  12. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    and that's definitely a legit thing. i'm kinda like you bri, at least normally. i tend to edit as i go most of the time, so it's more about the quality of what i'm doing than the quantity to me. but if you're just getting your ideas down, that's still quality writing to me, even if they need to be refined in some capacity.

anyhoo, another 2,074 for me: making my total 12,991.

FINALLY got started on one of my challenge fics, and it's coming along fairly nicely i believe. there will definitely be some editing with this one though, much as i hate to admit it. i'm just not happy with the start. but right now, i'm just glad to actually get stuff down for it.

Kahara, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

And this is why I thank you for it. I still have this very problem with everything else, other than writing, but each time we have one of these, I get more confident. Please, pretty please, make sure that there's one in the second half of the year, too.

As for editing, I was doing little to none until Findswoman appeared in my life and pointed out all these things that us non-editors don't know.

14. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Word count: 4497. And my head is seriously going to explode, because we're not quite halfway through the month, and I almost have 5000 words written, which is usually my total for the entire month!

15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    What I said - people cheering on for their pals is everything.

Послато са SM-J500FN уз помоћ Тапатока

16. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    i would totally love having an editor, so you're very lucky there EP.

congrats to everyone, getting farther than you thought you would is always awesome.

17. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    So I decided to tackle that fic on which I wasn't making any progress, and I went and outlined it in detail, plus I wrote a couple of paragraphs to find my groove. 1578 new words for a total of 9319.

About writing-by-the-kilometre vs editing-as-you-go, I'm in the editing camp when it comes to fanfic because on the boards I also post as I go. One the other hand, when I'm writing original fiction for publication I write by the kilometre and I edit the whole thing at the end -- but then it's also in my mother tongue so I know that there will be far less editing to do than when I write in English. (Full disclosure: I hate editing. Especially when it has to do with nitty-gritty stuff like punctuation.)

jcgoble3, Findswoman , Kahara and 3 others like this.
  18. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    Chyntuck i can understand that approach. i used to be more post as i get things done on here, but that always felt like a scramble and always under pressure and i couldn't stand it. i'm trying to not be in that situation now, and so far i've managed to be ahead a bit. it's an odd feeling. but yea, working on a novel to publish... well, in the middle of that as well and it's a very different approach for sure. so yea, i feel you on that one.

19. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    I am by no means a kilometer writer, unfortunately. I am very jealous of people who are.

20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I am a....500 mile writer. There was this one time when I slept for a couple of hours, ended up shaking and having a panic attack, tripping that a biological war was about to start from all the caffeine I had, but I wrote a 13K story in two languages and it was perfect in my mind

It's weird kind of a thing but this is probably an ADHD trait (yup, that's what we think it is at this point) - if I want to write, I am not going to do ANYTHING else other than eating, sleeping, brushing my teeth, walking and feeding the pets and going to the bathroom, for AS LONG AS MY ENGINE IS RUNNING. I am like this with everything, and it got me in trouble so many times before - I miss the deadline and then I deliver a perfect project a week later. I cancel on somebody and then, the next week, I MUST see them because I feel like it. I delay cleaning or cooking and then I clean or cook all day and end up with a spotless apartment or meals for the next couple of days.

And here, I rarely write myself in the corner. I just, say, didn't update a story that won two awards since April, because my head is buzzing with other ideas and I often have 3-4 things open at the same time and shift from rapid-writing one to rapid-writing the other because QUALE IDEA, QUALE IDEA.

And the last month or so has been cool, because I kind of stopped pretending about what I really am like. :p

STANG. I said "500 miles"...heeeeeeeeeeeeeere it goes again.

But yeah, that's a bit more than 800 km and that's my favourite distance between B and A, A and B, anyway, so it fits...[face_blush]

Disclaimer: Also, these word-avalanches are how I really think. Screw coherence, I'm a genius according to the newest scale and it's about the time I fell in love with my weird brain. ANGRY MACE GONNA MAKE SOME SOUP, YO!

21. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    lol. yea, people of high intellect often don't function in the way normal people can understand. at all. you actually sound kinda like einstein, except that he'd get even more singularly focused and forget to eat, or wear pants when he was going out, because his mind was so focused.

jcgoble3, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  22. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Alas, if it wasn't for Darth Real Life and the demands of job/family/housework/pets, etc. then I could be like Ewok Poet and just dig in. But animals demand to be fed, bosses expect me to show up, clean underwear does not magically appear in my drawers, etc. etc. :(

Didn't get as much done as I would have liked, but I did manage 1457, for a grand total of 8475, two more scenes done for the Celtic Challenge. Nearly at 20 pages; I thought this was going to be much shorter! My characters have taken the angst bit between their teeth, though... But I want to get as far ahead as I can; we've got the dares coming up and I have one in progress for 2 of my OCs and another bunny that has been waiting and waiting and WAITING for me to get started...

23. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I managed to get up to 3600 BUT I have to get started on stupid school work tomorrow.

Kahara and A Blind Prophet like this.
  24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I wrote about 12K tonight...but it was not fanfic. It was the same blog post in two languages and I had to let it go, at last. I don't regret it at all.

A Blind Prophet - thanks for that compliment. That's how other kids' parents called me back in school, only my dad called me "Tenkre" (a reverse of "Kreten").

@Misstress_Renata - no worries, you're just a sane person. I, however.... HEHE PEANUTS.

Kahara and A Blind Prophet like this.
  25. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    A positively rabid plot bunny for my dare challenge fic was outlined today. 882 new words for a grand total of 10201.