main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Disney now owns the rights to the SW scores! Sony's contract has expired!!!

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by PodracingSkywalker, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Cedric T Sealion

Cedric T Sealion Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 19, 2014
    Meh, I don't know why everyone thinks extended soundtrack albums are a possibility. Given that Disney have yet to say a word regarding the theatrical cuts on blu-ray. :(

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
  3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Those two items are not really related. One is not dependent on the other happening.

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. Cedric T Sealion

Jul 19, 2014
    I never said they were dependent on one another. You know fine what I mean. The parallels between the unavailable OUT and the unavailable extended prequel soundtrack albums are plain for all to see. A clear demand from the fanbase, but no indication of Lucasfilm giving a ****.

5. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    We think extended soundtrack albums are possible because we have them for 4 of the 6 OT/PT films already. Lucasfilm worked through 2 different versions of expanded OT soundtracks. As someone who has many, many expanded and complete score releases, there's no telling when or how these releases will surface until they're pretty much done and announced. And that could be anytime. There are prominent John Williams scores from decades ago, big ones, that have never seen a release. There are ones from the same era as the PT that have been. We have A.I. in a complete score, but not Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone, and those came out in the same year. My point is there is no pattern, which means no real reason for despair.

6. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    The difference is that no one connected to Lucasfilm will said one word about any possibility of an OOT but Mattesino who is a legit guy when it comes to JW soundtracks already has as per my email to him said talks are happening.

"I am involved in the conversations about where to go from here, but I’m not permitted to say anything beyond that. There would be a lot of work to be done and it may not be right away. But when it does happen, I expect it to all be handled properly."

7. Cedric T Sealion

Jul 19, 2014
    Ah, that's news to me. Jolly good.

8. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    And here we are four years later. Still nothing...

9. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    All I want is a "Complete Recordings" style box set for each film in the Saga and both Anthology films.

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Indeed.

TX-20 likes this.
  11. ReyPrescott

ReyPrescott Jedi Master star 3

Oct 3, 2015
    disney could make mad money off this... cmon

TX-20 likes this.
  12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    It's still insane to me that we have nothing on this front. But hey we have expanded score releases (streaming) of Solo and Rogue One.

TX-20, darklordoftech and darkspine10 like this.
  13. cantthinkofone

cantthinkofone Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 6, 2020
    i buy music CDs. but unfortunately, companies realized that piracy isnt responsible for lower sales. its technology like itunes. so everything is on streaming now.
    as disney is american corporation, dont expect physical releases or any digging for anthology music or remixes. very few countries still sell CDs, japan is one of them.

its in better hands on a japanese company. another problem is, its very rare for any company of any country to invest in old soundtracks. usually they produce and distribute them when the main product is still hot on the market. star wars has its fans, but its not hot on the market. IF sony still had it, they might probably make on the next anniversary or release of new movie.
    thats what they did with DBZ. they sold the entire show 100% exactly as seen on release on tv (never seen before excepft for release, not even on syndication) when a special event occured. and a new music cd with remixes on 25 anniversary. all came in limited edition on special occasions from a japanese company, sold in japan exclusively (as import to other countries)...

realistically, music under american company will never happen.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
  14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I disagree with that. LaLaLand Records has a long proven model for selling film score soundtrack CDs, including a large group of expanded and complete releases. Indeed something like their Harry Potter John Williams collection would be a great model for the various Star Wars trilogy soundtracks.

Jediking97 and darkspine10 like this.
  15. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Could the recent releases of expanded Solo and Rogue One scores indicate that we may get something for the prequels (AOTC and ROTS)?

We already have one for TPM. It would be a neat tie-in to have AOTC and ROTS since we will have a "reunion" of Hayden and Ewan in Obi-Wan in May.

16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    We sort of have the TPM UE. Now it's long out of print and it was fundamentally flawed in execution. It featured the exact music off the film soundtrack, complete with way too many cross fades and severely hacked apart music for the re-edited third act of the film. It would be nice to get the music presented in a more complete and less chopped up form.

Jediking97 and darkspine10 like this.
  17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Also, it's been 23 years since TPM. It would also be nice to get a newly remixed and remastered version to improve sound quality beyond 1999.

TX-20 likes this.
  18. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Had no idea these were out so thanks for the post.

All the soundtracks could use a total remaster but there just doesn't seem to be anything going on. It's been 5 years since the reply I got from Mattesino.

He's been working on multiple JW projects and Star Trek projects so either it fell off or it's been going along at a slow pace.

I wish Disney used the WB method of releasing the albums on YouTube then giving an option to buy a physical copy on demand CD-R.

The new Giacchino score for The Batman is released that way. The 29 tracks are on the WaterTower Music channel but there is also a 2 CD-R release available as well.

They could have done the same for Rogue One Expanded Edition on DisneyMusicVEVO plus a 2 CD-R on demand release.

TX-20 likes this.
  19. Trev Elyt

Trev Elyt Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 22, 2019
    I agree with everything said here — all of the soundtracks could use a remaster and expansion. Even the sequel soundtracks lacked some of the best musical moments in the films. (It drives me insane that Ben Solo’s theme is nowhere to be found on The Rise of Skywalker soundtrack.) I also hate that half of my favorite tracks from the Original Trilogy soundtracks are missing from the reissues of them on Spotify. I would absolutely pay for a definitive collectors’ box set release with the complete scores for all of the films, though.

Jediking97, TX-20 and darklordoftech like this.
  20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Interestingly, the only version of the ROTJ soundtrack that’s currently in print has Lapti Nek and Yub Nub and not Jedi Rocks or Victory Celebration while the opposite is true for the only version of ROTJ itself that’s in print.

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yes, the only currently available OT soundtracks are the originals from '77, '80 and '83. The '97 Special Edition soundtracks are out of print and not on streaming.

Jediking97 and darklordoftech like this.
  22. Jediking97

Jediking97 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 24, 2018
    I find it baffling that there aren't any complete scores of the prequels or a re-release of the now out of print original trilogy soundtracks.

All of these other movies are getting expanded soundtrack releases but not Star Wars.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    darklordoftech likes this.
  23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I think it's safe to say the holdup is Lucasfilm. Or Disney.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
    Jediking97 likes this.