main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Grand Moff Tarkin (Guy Henry and Peter Cushing) in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Bosskkkk, Jul 15, 2016.

1. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Given that (in new continuity anyway) Palpatine and Vader would have some very specific things to say about someone else trying to jump on the Force bandwagon I can't see Tarkin being inclined to go down that route in any case. He seems more the type to favour political or military power over being a badass in a fight.

Darth Basin likes this.
  2. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I don't think Tarkin was interested in anything other than military supremacy of the Empire. He specifically seemed to think that the Jedi and their ways were outmoded, when talking to Vader in ANH. He also had nothing to do with the Kyber crystals and their use in the Death Star. (Catalyst outlines that the Geonosian Death Star plans had the complete blueprints for the station itself, but the actual weapon design was "We'll invent that when we need it." Galen Erso and Orson Krennic actually brought the Kybers into it all; Erso had been working on experiments to draw energy from Kybers and Krennic was the one that realized that research could be weaponized.)

SateleNovelist11 and Darth Basin like this.
  3. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Erso was also working on "synthetic" kyber crystals & came very close to achieving success. You mentioned Stellar Sphere & War Mantle. Those could be codename for the Starkiller & World Devastator (from legends).

4. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Ooh, good catch and neat idea.

I always wondered if the "Black-Saber" file that Jyn and Cassian found in the Citadel was an homage to the Dark Saber superweapon in the Legends novel of the same name. ("Black-Saber" also brings to mind the Black Sword Command fleet from the Legends novel trilogy Black Fleet Crises).

As a bonus, Catalyst also mentions that there had been experiments in the Republic era to create an asteroid-like weapons platform, which sounds a lot like the Eye of Palpatine from the Legends novel Children of the Jedi.

Darth Basin and vncredleader like this.
  5. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Indeed! It's great how theses things are now semicanon!

vncredleader likes this.
  6. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    Weird that Tarkin was made out to be an opportunist in R1. He'd been in charge of DS1 since Day 1.

Darth Basin and outerrimjaba like this.
  7. outerrimjaba

outerrimjaba Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2015
    Another take and based off the novelization, is that Tarkin was hedging or 'firewalling' himself behind Krennic's trial and errors.

Tarkin was beyond reproach. Like a golden child CEO, who could never disappoint the Chairman of the Board. However, the Veeps catch hell.

Tarkin just reinforced his authority with a premise that krennic was inadequate as a military commander, and better suited with science and engineering management. Krennic just felt as if Tarkin was an opportunist, but failed to realize he wasn't even his rival's equal in caliber.

Krennic's mental illness of paranoia and sociopathic narcissism was seemingly a tragedy to me. He kept believing he would pierce the inner circle veil, and came nowhere close.

Tarkin was a milatarist, and power hungry...the main MO behind Anakin and Sheev was immortality. I don't think Tarkin wanted force lightening power, but immortality would be tempting bait for (arguably) the most powerful individual in the galaxy at the end of Rogue One.

8. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Tarkin was in charge of supervising the overall Death Star project; Krennic was just in charge of developing the superweapon for the station.

vncredleader and Bullhead CIty like this.
  9. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I agree that Tarkin and Vader seem on similar footing. I would say it seems in Rogue One that Vader is higher up than Tarkin, because Krennic clearly wants an audience with Vader and the Emperor, and holds them in ultimate regard. In ANH, though, it seems like Tarkin is a higher ranking figure. I think the reality is that Tarkin is the military head, Vader is almost like a special agent, he doesn't concern himself with every little detail, but he makes himself available when needed. His whole persona is kind of mysterious in the movies, much like the emperor, they obviously crave power, but once they have it, you almost get the impression they lock themselves away and let their underlings take care of most of the day to day BS. That's why I think they're both so interested in Luke, not JUST because he could be a threat, but because it's something exciting.

Power is probably much like anything else, once you have it -- which they basically have ultimate power by the OT -- you start to feel a sense of letdown, like what now? The journey is most of the fun. Everyone dreams of the destination, but once you're there, it's like... oh... the journey WAS the thing. Palpatine spent every moment planning this incredible rise to power and takeover of the republic, and it worked brilliantly, almost perfectly even. It was genius and it was executed with the greatest perfection. Then by the time he has his power well established, what is a man to do? Certainly not concern himself with the idiotic power scramble below him by his servants to get in his good graces. Boring. Luke provides the first real excitement in ages.

Darth Basin likes this.
  10. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    THREAD MERGE.

11. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    When Tarkin says "I will tell him I be taking over control of the weapon I first spoke of years ago effective immediately." What does he mean by I? He first spoke of..?o_O Could someone clear that up.?

12. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    Tarkin's taking credit for the superweapon that Erso developed. Krennic first spoke of it, but Tarkin is stealing his thunder.

Darth Basin likes this.
  13. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013

Well, the Death Star is Tarkin's baby.

So I haven't yet read any of the material in the new timeline, but drawing from the old EU timeline, I believe they've maintained Tarkin's importance, not only in The Empire, but in the development of the Death Star project, as well.

Remember, Tarkin appears at the end of the Episode III supervising the construction of the Death Star, along with Palpatine and Vader. Additionally, Krennic and Erso were really only responsible for the weapons design of the Death Star, which apparently was facing many challenges. Tarkin was basically in control of the overall station/project, although Krennic was hoping to steal the role.

14. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    he was there in ep 3 when they began construction, through "rebels" and the books "tarkin" and "catalyst" probably talk about it more.

vncredleader and B99 like this.
  15. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Ok, thx guys!

16. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Well Tarkin may have taken Orson's superweapon but Orson had his last laugh through death. DS-1 became "Tarkin's Folly".

17. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Ordinarily, I imagine that Tarkin would have had anyone who spoke back to him, as Krennic did, executed. The only reason he did not in that particular instance was due to his knowledge that Krennic would screw up again.

Darth Basin likes this.
  18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I don't know about that. Tarkin doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would execute anyone just for talking back to him.

Darth Basin likes this.
  19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    [​IMG]

Tarkin has been involved with this thing since the first beams were welded together. Krennic and Erso designed the weapons which later became the guts of it.

20. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Ok! Thank U!

Darth Basin likes this.
  21. outerrimjaba

outerrimjaba Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2015
    Tarkin had vision. You have graphs.

22. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    I love that shot. Thank you Mr. Lucas.

vncredleader and B99 like this.
  23. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Yeah! Great shot indeed!
    Was wondering. What is floating in space to the top right of the DS? Perhaps pieces of he construction..

24. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    The situation in ANH and Rogue One to me seems to me that everyone views Vader as like you say a "special agent" or enforcer and perhaps the most trusted of any of the Emperors servants outside perhaps of his dark advisors so obviously very close to him but not somebody who has been given a vast overlrodship in terms of planets/forces directly under his control. So Krennic would realise that Vader was very dangerous but potentially his key to getting one up on Tarkin by getting the Emperors ear, hence even after being choked he's still smiling at the end thinking things maybe going his way.

At that point it seems like the Emperor and Vader being darkside force users isn't widely known by the general public and even the people higher up who do know underestimate the importance of this aspect of them. By the time of ESB you could argue with no senate and with so many high level Imp officers killed in RO and ANH the Emperor and Vader could declare themselves more openly and the later who weld more power openly simply by being the Emperors right hand man although not part of the military/political order.

As far as the Emperor goes keeping the force aspect of his power hidden might explain some of it but I think also its quite in character that he has most joy from defeating his enemies. In ANH the Rebels probably aren't viewed as his main enemy, the senate is and he's doubtless taking great glee from its defeat as he did the fall of the Jedi then by the time of ROTJ he's present on the Deathstar to be there for both the Rebels defeat and for Luke's potential conversion/death. In the OT especially I always get the idea that its not just that the Emperor and Vader are "badguys" who happen to use the force so use the darkside but rather that its actually the darkside that is working though them and as a result emotionally the Emperor especially is focused on Darkside emotions with hate being the strongest.

25. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Seems like he's saying that the Death Star was his idea and therefore his to control.

B99 likes this.