main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC So, how long do you want to live?

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well hey, I could always just get hit by a car or slip and fall down a large flight of stairs, too. Death is a certainty. In the meantime try to do right by people.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I belong to a large number of Facebook pages involved with life extension and along with being an echo chamber there is funding. The people I talk to actually more directly involved make a point to tell people they do not like the word "immortality" because they are not promising to make you invulnerable and then you just have to live with it.

Aside from the echo chamber there is occasionally those who would shoo it down and claim only death gives life meaning and always, always say they do not want to live forever. I think perhaps if the choice is there they seem afraid of it. No one can promise you forever, they might be able to give you the option of living on or dying.

3. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    What I'm thinking is, what happens to the world when the rich have an even longer lifespan in which to amass wealth, widening the wealth gap? When dictators have even longer to consolidate their power? When committed ideologoues have even longer to scheme their machinations on the world? Death acts as a check against unfettered ambition.

Sarge likes this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    75% chance I'll live older than 79, expected life expectancy at 88 years old, 25% chance I'll live to 94.

5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Those people will have to deal with the rest of the population that will live longer. People only have so much patience.

Also, let's say I wished to live long enough to set foot on a few worlds in this solar system. I should give up that possibility because some evil people amass wealth?

6. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    It's those kinds of people who will be able to afford it at first, and once they do, they will have a vested interest in making sure it stays that way.

7. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Perhaps we'll get lucky and the rich will just assume vague pseudoscience like replacing their blood Peter Thiel style will be sufficient. Mind you those of us selected to live in their blood harvesting facilities will be hosed.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

I'm sure someone would love to try, but not all rich folks are evil, and I bet not enough are evil enough. There is simply no real way for them to bottle it up as too many people are working on the same problem and they'll open source it if threatened.

9. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    I hope you're right.

10. yeurgh

yeurgh Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2016
    I was going to say I'd love some kind of concoction that would allow me to recover from exercise like a 20-something but it occurs to me that such things already exist and I prefer to let nature take its course.

I hope to remain strong and active until I'm 80-something and then die very quickly.

11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

I liked it for both.

What if...by the time you get there, they'll already made it the same as here? No wondrous new world, just more people screwing each other over. Different sky, but nothing new under the sun.

:eek:

Um. Sorry.

Ramza likes this.
  12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    No, goddammit, we've got to believe in the dream!

13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

The specific example is not important. I could have said I wish to live long enough to play every musical instrument ever created. Or just sit on some beach and read for 100 years.

That alludes to another thing people will use to argue against. They will say we will stagnate and stop trying to progress. I feel like this means I have to justify my existence, or hand others the right to determine when I should die.

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Expect 87, 25% chance of 93, 2.1 years longer than others my age.

OTOH, there's not a great deal of longevity in my family, so I'm taking those numbers with a big grain of salt. Which will probably harden my arteries, and we know where that leads, right?

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  15. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    This is my take on it. As with anything, time always seems longer when it's in front of you than when it is behind you. There is never an instance in my life where I find myself at the end of a period of time where I look back and that period of time still seems to have taken just as long as I had originally thought it was going to take before it started. From a few hours, to a few days, a few weeks, months, years, and so on. I'm not trying to sound all philosophical or anything. And I'm not one of these Nike check mark "ALREADY DID IT" seize the day go-getting types either. It's just honestly something I constantly have to remind myself whenever I see what's on my horizon. Because no matter what it is, when it comes to the end of a certain period of time, it always seems like it came too quickly, or rather, quicker than what I had expected. I can't imagine it will be any different in dealing with death. Where right now, it seems a good 20,30,40,50,60 years away. And we can arrogantly presume that we will be okay with it in that amount of time. But when it's right there facing you, I hardly doubt that anybody could look back and not wish for another 100 healthy years to live, and if given half the chance to continue living a fairly healthy life indefinitely, they would. So in my view, anybody now who says they are okay with dying at a certain age, whatever the cause may be, is lying. I mean unless somebody has legitimately become that cynical as a result of whatever negative things have happened to them in their life, but that's a very small percentage of people who have truly become that way, especially in the western world. So when all that life extending science and whatnot becomes a reality, it will surely become the hottest ticket on the planet.

Rew and VadersLaMent like this.
  16. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    You admit no manner of extra time would satisfy anyone, because they would always want more, yet you welcome a development you just described as futile and pointless?

There are already too many people alive on this planet without them living to be 500 years each.

Sarge likes this.
  17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  18. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Well, there's still the first part of my post. He says that people will always want more even though they feign content. Well, if that's the case, then what's the point of extending their feigned content? By his own reasoning, no matter how much you give them, they'll just want more. What he's describing is an endless cycle of discontent, and yet he favours prolonging it.

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    That would assume people are all the same in that regard and would never ever change or that technology will max out and never allow any further improvement. Who knows, we'll find out.

This is a dailymail article which is, well, bad. But the article itself has information that is sound. What is exclusive to this item that I never saw elsewhere nor was able to get an answer to no matter who I asked(because they didn't know) was is this an open ended lifepsan or healthspan. It is in fact healthspan. You'll get you youthful abilities back but if you are already old you are not going to revert in appearance as well. The increase in years you'll get are incidental but look to be definite. This would be called a bridge, something to help you live long enough to get passed the hump of technology needed to live as long as you wish.

David Sinclair, NAD, and the 77 year old man

20. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    *slices off Montie's head with my razor sharp sword *

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  22. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Juliet316 likes this.
  23. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Based on my family history, I'll live anywhere between 74 and 95. I'll probably die of heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer's, or Parkinson's.

For some reason, I predict 2082 as my year of death. My paternal grandfather and great grandfather both died on March 9 (1970, 2007 respectively) so I think my dad and I will both die on that date.

24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Mm

No one will live long enough for impossible things to happen. For all practical purposes, worlds beyond the Earth are closed to mankind.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

Wow. got bored and decided to bait me with your trolling anti-space exploration view you have repeated 100 times now? But thanks for upping the thread. Now get a hobby.