main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions EU works you like but everyone else hates

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Chancellor Yoda, Feb 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    The title says it all.

It can be works you genuinely like or guilty pleasures. I specifically said works in the title because I'm not just talking about books but also comics, video games and the like.

My pick would be the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy. This definitely falls under guility pleasure as these aren't great or even good set of books. But there's a lot of neat concepts in them, plus I'm just sucker for anything relating to the criminal element of Star Wars.

Esh-kha and The Hound's Tooth like this.
  2. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
  3. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    The Courtship of Princess Leia. I've seen people trash it, but I love it. [face_laugh]

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ Yeah, CoPL is fun and funny. If you look too closely at it, it doesn't really hold up, but just read it and laugh at the goofiness. And ask her to ride my rancor. [face_rofl]

5. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Darth Vader and The Lost Command & Darth Vader and the Cry of Shadows. I feel like I'm in the minority that likes these comics.

6. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Star Wars Galaxies NGE

Was a video game, but still EU so technically still counts

Sent from my Alcatel_4060O using Tapatalk

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  7. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    This might not fit the threads parameters exactly but I think Chewbacca's death was a respectful and heroic one. True to his character and wasn't hackneyed, gratuitous or stupid at all.

Unlike a lot of fans.

8. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    I agree.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  9. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    That's true, especially in contrast for example Mara or Jacen whose deaths were poorly written and disrespectfull to the characters.

In terms of works I'm actually quite fond of Jedi Trial.
    It was one of my first SW books and at that time I didn't even knew that the older Jedi in it was Corran Horns grandad.

10. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    The Dark Nest Trilogy. *ducks*

It's odd cause I really disliked bits of it (Jaina/Zekk, and forearms rubbing, like WTH?!), yet I loved the overall story. Whilst bizarre at times, the Killiks were not your typical plot drivers and they certainly don't fall into the Dark-Sider-101-template like most of the recent EU/NEU. Weirdness of the Nest crisis worked well to touch on the PTSP the Jedi (and the rest of the galaxy) must been going through after the Vong War. And somehow, it was the last time that the big 3 and their families worked together before everything started falling apart in LOTF.
    Also, that crazy Ewok 1st mate, R2's memories, Ta'a Chume & Hapan drama....

That said, a re-read is in probably in order. I need to continue with NJO re-read, but Rogue One forced me a reading spree of Rogue Squadron and any R1 materials.

I'm also a sucker for anything Hapes, so joining Lady Belligerent on Team Courtship. :p

11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I would absolutely love to see the Hapans in film.

12. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Oh, yes!! I want Hapans and to see Hapes in a film.

I don't dislike Dark Nest, and those are novels I read a few times just to be sure I didn't miss anything. There's something about the weirdness that appeals to me. :p

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    As annoying as the Kiliks were, they were very interesting imo. More so than the FO.

14. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I long for the crossover where the Killiks meet the Borg.

Further elucidating my point on Chewie; some fans are like "the NJO is so stupid hurr Durr they killed Chewie with a moon."

I think that shows just how awesome and durable Chewbacca actually is if it takes a moon to bring him down then I think not many people want to be slugging it out with him in a bar.

15. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Darksaber and the Jedi Academy Trilogy. They're not very well written, but fun to read. They introduce a lot of cool concepts.

16. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    The Republic Commando novels. Yes, I said that.
    I could point out a ton of problems with them, but honestly, most I would consider nitpicks. Overall I quite enjoyed reading it. Those books were my first big expedition into the novels. I would rank the series a half-inch above The Clone Wars, in terms of personal favorability.

Darth Majestic likes this.
  17. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    That's my take on the Chewie death. While some people see it as lame, I just don't see the logic in that because the way I see it is, "the guy was so dang badass that the only thing that could kill him is having a kriffing MOON thrown at him".

18. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I'm absolutely confident had Chewbacca experienced the war he would have won the respect of every Yuuzhan Vong Warrior he came across.

19. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    Which means it's more reasonable to kill him off before that happened because then the vong were more of a threat.

Sent from my Alcatel_4060O using Tapatalk

20. DarthKuriboh

DarthKuriboh Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2007

Chewie faced a lot. The Empire couldn't kill him. The Yevetha couldn't kill him. the Warlords couldn't kill him. The Ssi'Ruuk couldn't kill him. Chewbacca was such an awesome badass that it took a MOON to kill him.

21. Darth Aphrodite

Darth Aphrodite Jedi Master star 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Anything with Ewoks hehehe

Ewok Poet likes this.
  22. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Darksaber, the Jedi Academy Trilogy and The Truce at Bakura. Granted I haven't read them in years but they were some of the first few SW books I read and I remember loving them and re reading them several times.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  23. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    Dark Empire and Legacy of the Force

Dark Empire has amazing artwork and the story is both wacky and a nightmare kind of a vibe. It helps that it's not canon anymore so no point in arguing about it's silliness.
    I just enjoyed Jacen's fall in LOTF. It had it's bad moments but overall I had fun reading the series.

I'm surprised that they're hated. I loved both of them especially Cry of Shadows. It's interesting to see a grunt's perspective on Vader.

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Dark Empire 1 truly is amazing imo.

25. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Yeah, coupled with Cam Kennedy's art, that comic had some epic storytelling.

Bernael Edit: Thread locked by moderator due to inactivity. Should you desire the thread reactivated please contact Sinrebirth, darthbernael, or Bardan_Jusik.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2022
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.