main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tyrian purple, Palpatine´s niece (OC), 23rd vignette of 25: answer

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by AzureAngel2, Jan 12, 2017.

1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I love reading your stories during the time that I am not busy with settling my things

Kahara likes this.
  2. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    I knew you would be busy, earlybird-obi-wan, so I just checked. See, I do not have many readers and I start doubting myself more & more. These days I need to re-orientate myself completely on many fronts. Fan-fic writing might stay behind. Art projects already did. And so did my sport activities. They do not bring me the joy and distraction as they used to.

So thanks for reacting on an update of mine and finding the time.

During the week I am rather busy off-line with 1.001 activities (mostly work-related) and so I just have the weekends for the fanfic boards.

I still like reading the fics of others. They bring me joy and distraction. I always try to react and find the fitting words to leave a feedback for the writer.

But my own stuff seems like dust in the wind more and more...

DarthUncle likes this.
  3. The Ascendant

The Ascendant Jedi Knight

Apr 26, 2014
    Krennic is such a scumbag in every sense of the word. Though, I find it fitting that as domineering as he is to others, he is simultaneously humbled by his own machinations.

DarthUncle and AzureAngel2 like this.
  4. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    The Ascendant: Thanks for taking the time to reply. Krennic can be indeed a scumbag.

If you want to read more about his own machinations then I can recommend my fanfic "Rage, rage against the dying of the light" to you. In my latest update of that fic, which takes place on Scarif, he shows more of his nasty side.

Title:“Closer than sisters, a Nagina vignette

Author:AzureAngel2

Co-Author and editor:@DarthUncle

Time frame: The story takes place about 17 days after the events of RotS (19 BBY).

Planet of choice: Chandrila

Summary: A well-known bounty hunter aims at her target, but does not (yet?) shoot. And suddenly a red haired girl, too clever for her own good, stands in front of her.

Disclaimer: SW is owned by George Lucas, Lucas Ltd. and now The Walt Disney Company

I got guns in my head and they won't go

Spirits in my head and they won't go
    Spirits in my head and they won't-

I've been lookin' at the stars tonight
    And I think "Oh, how I miss the bright sun"
    I'll be a dreamer 'til the day I die.
    And they say ohhh, how the good die young
    But we're all strange,
    and maybe we don't want to change

But the gun still rattles the gun still rattles oooh

I spend a lot of nights on the run

And I think "Oh, like I'm lost and can't be found."
    I'm just waiting for my day to come
    And I think "Oh, cause I don't wanna let you down."
    But something inside has changed,
    and maybe we don't wanna stay the same

But the gun still rattles the gun still rattles, oh

And I don't want a never-ending life
    I just want to be alive

While I'm here
    And I don't want a never-ending life
    I just want to be alive
    While I'm here
    And I don't want to see another night lost
    Inside of our own life
    While I'm here

But the gun still rattles, the gun still rattles

But the gun still rattles, the gun still rattles

Today you do not wear your usual orange jump suit or your brown jacket with the ammunition strapped in. Even the colour of your hair ribbon matches your serene surroundings. You lie in the high grass underneath a blue, cloudless sky. It almost feels like holidays, but that is not why you are here. No, it is not an actual job you're on. This is strictly private.

“Got you, sister!” you purr.

The scope of your AS rifle 2000s is adjusted to her sweet, silly head. But you will not shoot. Later though, you will have to tell Nagina how easy it is to aim at her. Nothing to do with figure, but rather her pose and openness. She can be so careless when she is out in the open with a bunch of children.

Sighing, you let your entire rifle sink again.

Nagina should take better care of herself. And not just when it is about safety issues.

You snort.

Of course Nagina has fun. She always has been an outside person and she just loves children, no matter what their age is. But she seems to value her own life so little. And you would hate to see her gone.

Normally, you do not do the girl-friend thing. You are a loner, have been most of your life. Due to the circumstances that forged you.

You smile, a trifle bitter.

Nagina is not a Force of nature, but more like a developing habit, or a drug perhaps. Silently, she tiptoed into your life, invading it step by step. Then, when it was too late, you noticed that you feel better with her around you, you need her around.

You turn away from the scenery on the farm and lie on your back, gazing up into Chandrila's afternoon sky. Relaxing, that is what she makes you do.

To bond with another being is difficult for you, yet it happened in Nagina's case anyway. She is not a master manipulator like her infamous uncle, but she sure is as stubborn and determined as an eopie. You hate this about her as much as you love it.

She is also the only person in the universe who has survived being close to Sheev Palpatine for almost forty-one years. You would like her to have her around for at least double that. For the sheer fun of it.

Your last meeting with her was on Coruscant. Only a few days before the Jedi got slaughtered everywhere in the universe. It was all too easy to get Nagina drunk, but you did not abuse her vulnerability. All you did was to lean back and enjoy the show. Her bright eyes, her giggles.

Corellian whiskey sets Nagina loose, makes her dance through the room with the sensuality of a Twi'lek. It made you wonder if her defunct husband, the imp, tried something similar each time she was tense or upset.

You roll on your belly again, lift the rifle once more and gaze through the scope.

As a former Jedi padawan you can tell that there are shadows under Nagina's eyes. That her smile has a hollow quality.

“What have you done, Krennic?”

You know ways to extract the necessary answers from him. The people who formed you have been thorough. And your former Jedi master, the Dark Lady, had been brutal with you in her own ways.

“Argh!” you choke up, wishing that life would be a different affair altogether.

Nagina and you long for a normality that can never be. The universe is such a cold, cruel place. Especially for a female. If you would kill your friend right now, then all her sorrows and her never-ending fight would come to an end. She would die at her best, surrounded by people that love her. The best way to go really.

If anything would happen to you just Nagina would be there to moan your passing. You are sure of it.

Suddenly, a red headed girl comes to stand in front of you. “Are you going to shoot Nagina?” the human, about three standard years old, asks calmly, even though her jade green eyes are wide with terror.

“No, silly!” you lie and lower the rifle, “I was aiming for Krennic.”

Despite her fear the child comes closer. There is a new feeling you pick up from her. Glee. “Then you aim in the wrong direction. He is on the veranda.”

Laughing, you sit up in the balm grass. “You do not like him, do you?”

“No.” She twitches her little nose. “Is that a bad thing? It should be, right?”

“What?” you reply. “You mean the hate thing?”

“Wanting him dead and gone,” she whispers.

Now the conversation gets really interesting. “Has Krennic harmed Nagina in any way?” you probe, for you might be facing an eye witness.

The girl shakes her head. “But she feels trapped by him. And by Uncle Sheev. They are her jailers.”

You get on your knees to be at eye level with her. “Did she tell you that?”

Another shake of her head. “Her thoughts leak into me. Desperate thoughts. Night and day.”

You make an inviting gesture and she ponders before coming closer. “Nagina kept you safe from the Jedi Order, didn't she?”

The girl nods.

You pat her head, wondering if an antenna like yours would suit her. The potential is there. “That was a clever move,” you let her know. “The Jedi are not very reliable in the things they do.”

Fear and worry get displaced with unhidden curiosity. “Is this why you chose the Dark Side when you were my age?”

It takes you a few heartbeats to reply. “I am on nobody's side, but my own,” you rebuke.

Now she is the one who pats your head. “You are on Nagina's side.” Her fingers are warm and pleasant. “That is why you came here. All the way from your hiding hole on Coruscant.”

Some children are too clever for their own good, but you know better than to kill somebody who is close to Nagina. “Can you slip her a message without Krennic noticing?”

She smiles.

“Ask Nagina to meet me up on this hill. I need to talk with her. This Krennic situation is unhealthy for her. I want her out of it. The protection that I can offer her is on more equal terms.”

If that Imp could, he would chain her to him. This is what Jabba the Hutt does to his favourite dancers.

In the past Nagina has explained to you over and over again what binds her and Krennic together. You have abandonment issues, too, but you never treated her the way he does. This is not how a friendship works.

“No, it's not,” agrees the girl.

You could give out to her about her espionage via telepathy, but instead you ask, “What is your name?”

“Mara,” she beams.

You will remember that name. It might come in handy for the future. A talent like this should be promoted. Like old Palpatine had promoted Skywalker for so many years.

“I am not a Skywalker fan.” Mara makes a face. “There are way better Jedi than him.”

“The age of their useless lot is over,” you give to consider. “They are dead. A new Sith era has begun.”

Mara takes a step closer to you, her jade-green eyes sparkling. “Some Jedi are still out there, hiding.”

You could tell her that you might be one of their merciless hunters, but you leave her words uncommented. Instead you watch her gaze become glassy. She forges a link with Nagina.

This Mara is not only clever, but very efficient.

When she speaks again, her voice comes from far away. “She will be here with a picnic basket. We will pretend that we are having afternoon tea up here. Orson will not follow. He dislikes children.”

In your mind you add, “And he also dislikes groups that do not further his ambition.”

Then you rub your hands.

You love it when a plan comes together.

“Can you tell me more about being an assassin and bounty hunter?” Mara asks, a flicker in her eyes you know too well.

Nagina must not know about this. There is no way she would ever understand. But you need to answer the question that the little girl just posed to you. It would be unfair otherwise. Education is a duty, as Nagina likes to say.

Sources:
    The song “Spirits” by The Strumbellas
    Wookieepedia – The Star Wars Wiki
    Jedipedia, a free German Star Wars-Encyclopaedia

Kahara and DarthUncle like this.
  5. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Hm, perhaps I should also point out to my errand husband DarthUncle that the latest vignette is online.

And earlybird-obi-wan and Kahara might have missed it too, due to RL issues & duties.

DarthUncle and Kahara like this.
  6. DarthUncle

DarthUncle Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 20, 2005
    Good that you did, for I was travelling as you know, and didn't have much opportunity to go online this weekend.

Ah, another one of Nagina's weary but loving friends; I am glad a bit of her rubs off on all of them, enticing them all to be a bit better than they might otherwise be, especially when dealing with children or others under Nagina's gaze.

And Mara, chilling but really Mara already even as a child. Hope she can sleep well with Nagina's stress leaking through. I guess being a force user, and clearly able to read a lot from what others have on their mind, she already learned to deal with others' feelings and found ways to keep those emotions seperate from her own.

Kahara likes this.
  7. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    DarthUncle: It´s the middle of a tough week for me and you are able to write a few lines that make my aching heart sing. Thank you!

You also realized what Nagina is doing in order to oppose her uncle Sheev and his brand-new Sith Empire. Putting on little lights in dark hearts.

And you are also right about Mara. She is neither of the dark side nor of the light side. It is both sides she carries inside her.

8. DarthUncle

Mar 20, 2005
    Did I mention this before (maybe in private discussions in our home?) - I think it exciting that Mara is now freed not only from her painful (both in meta-universe sense, and in-universe) end, and loosened from being a bad girl turned good by falling in love with hero - though I admit that was quite well done originally, and also her badness was by means of lingering childhood trauma instilled by your uncle remaining an effective bane long after his death, which is reasonable as such trauma does tend to stick around. Still, now Mara is free to be her own person.

Kahara and AzureAngel2 like this.
  9. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    DarthUncle: Thanks for pointing that out! Since I recently had a nice chat with somebody who works with juvenile criminals I can clearly see that life is about the strength to make the right choices. My Mara is indeed free to make her own choices. Aurra Sing, Asajj Ventress and Zam Wesell made theirs.

Actually I do not have a story for this weekend, but I might write one tomorrow with your aide. You know why that is. But I am glad to inform you that it is all coming back again after yesterday.

10. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    The heartbreak and psycho thriller of the past months is over. I won the battle for me and my team, but I am leaving anyway for a new job position.

Especially the past three weeks had a strong influence on my writing, which focused on Chapter 24 and Chapter 25 of my Nagina story. But I had glimpses for three vignettes. Just need to form everything into understandable sentences and write them down... any time soon.

Before the new job starts.

Kahara likes this.
  11. The Ascendant

Apr 26, 2014
    Sorry for the late reply, I also was dealing with RL and trying to get my own posts revised before posting. Mara begins her path and we may finally be on the road to freeing Nagina of Orson's piggery. The unhealthy relationship continues to affect those around it, and you never fail in displaying that, Angel. There's a distinct sense of realism that laces your writing on the topic and hits home in a lot ways, especially with my upbringing. I hesitate to guess, or rather hope, that it isn't from your own personal experience. Anyways, well done! =D=

Kahara, DarthUncle and AzureAngel2 like this.
  12. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Greetings from my bus to work.

I can calm you straight away, dear The Ascendant. My childhood was no problem. I draw most ideas from my 20 year experiences in child education.

But since October 2014 some weird stuff at work happened. There was extreme power abuse done by a group of men + unhealthy psycho games. This influenced my story a big deal.

Kahara likes this.
  13. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Okay, I was not able to ask DarthUncle to check this out. But I will post it now, otherwise I will fall asleep during the morning circle. The kids would be utterly upset, because it is my last working week with them as I am changing jobs. It is a crying game, but I followed Obi-Wan´s advice: "You must do what you feel is right."

Which is why I am to bed after this:

Vignette 16:

Title:“True love, a Nagina vignette

Author: AzureAngel2

Co-Author and editor:@DarthUncle

Time frame: Less than a week after RotS (19 BBY).

Planet of choice: Lothal

Summary: A historian, specialized in Force lore and Force users, just has become acquainted with his new neighbour on Lothal. But the kindergarten teacher is not what he has expected her to be. Among her belongings is an ancient Sith brooch. The jewel was made at some point during the Golden Age of the Sith. Perhaps even during the reign of terror by Sith Lord Ieldis.

Disclaimer: SW is owned by George Lucas, Lucas Ltd. and now The Walt Disney Company

Open your eyes, I see
    Your eyes are open
    Wear no disguise for me
    Come into the open
    When it's cold outside
    Am I here in vain?
    Hold on to the night
    There will be no shame
    Always, I wanna be with you
    And make believe with you
    And live in harmony, harmony oh love

Melting the ice for me
    Jump into the ocean
    Hold back the tide, I see
    Your love in motion
    When it's cold outside
    Am I here in vain?
    Hold on to the night
    There will be no shame

Always, I wanna be with you
    And make believe with you
    And live in harmony, harmony oh love

In shock you leave the little cottage behind. As a believer in the Force you are aware that there is always more behind a person that meets the eye. But what you just faced is of much more gravity than you expected.

You wipe your eyes with the edge of your right sleeve.

It is not Nagina's doing. You cannot make her responsible for all the evil and bloodshed that was unleashed on Coruscant. But you needed to get away from her anyway. The temptation to gather her in your arms and hug her was too strong.

“There is no hope for me with you!” you whisper as you close the gate of her front garden behind you.

All you can see in front of your inner eye is that brooch from the Golden Age of the Sith, perhaps from Sith Lord Ieldis himself. You wish you could tell your college Professor Aphra about it. That man is specialized in researching the ancient Ordu Aspectu. He certainly would listen to you about the return of the Sith.

You look back at Nagina's innocent seeming cottage. Within a few days her garden has turned into a lush paradise. As if she channelled the Force itself for plant growth.

Normally, you do not believe in love at first sight. You had girl-friends before. One back on Jedha and two during your university studies on Coruscant. But you never faced a woman like Nagina. She ticked a lot of boxes the past hours.

Like a drowning man you suck in the air, leaning against the fence of Old Jho.

The Sith are back

As a historian, with a PH.D. degree in Force religions, you know what that means.

If you only had your friend and esteemed college Rachi Sitra here with you to talk to about it. While the Coruscant temple was under attack the female Jedi Knight assisted you to bring the most precious belongings of her order into safety. While you are here on Lothal, trying to find the best hiding spot, she still is busy saving more items from the hands of the Emperor.

You want to laugh out loud.

There is a link between Sheev Palpatine and Nagina. Like some of your research papers point out a link between the extinct Massassi race and the Sith warriors. Your instincts are seldom wrong.

“Are you alright, Lor?” Old Jho asks, his large eyes full of concern, when he gazes up from his potato bed.

“I honestly don't know,” you wheeze and the moment you say it you know it to be true.

In your eyes Nagina is beautiful, and there is something special about her that draws beings to her.

The Ithorian smiles at you with his double mouths. “The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.”

Your voice is gruff and uncertain, when you try to reply something intelligent. “From the moment I saw the Jedi temple burning until arriving here my life had been in turmoil. But meeting Nagina made things much, much worse.”

“Did it?”

You want to explain it to him, but words fail you. To describe the brilliance of her gaze, the cute dimples, when she smiles - all that seems impossible. It is like the Ithorian language, incredibly beautiful, yet difficult to learn.

“Lor, when my old Jedi friend Noga-ta contacted me about you coming to Lothal, I wanted to help you immediately.” Confidently, the large alien bends his curved neck in your direction. “And while I prepared for your arrival and rented the cottage next door, I saw Mistress Samye working in her garden. The way she deals with her plants says a lot about her. She is one with the Force and the Force is with her.”

You feared that Old Jho would say something in her favour. Something, that bewitches you even more.

“She fights against evil in her own special way, trying to get it by the root like weed.”

There are a dozen reasons why you should leave her alone and let her move on with her life.

Throughout your life you were befriended with Jedi Knights: Rachi Sitra, Master Jinn and Olee Starstone. Even the stern Jocasta Nu, Chief Librarian of the Jedi Archives, had always held you in highest respect. It had pained you to see her among the dead in her beloved library. A light sabre had impaled her.

And you believe that the new Sith Emperor is not finished with his killing spree yet.

“Lor, when you think about Mistress Samye, what comes to mind?” Old Jho asks hopefully.

“I...”

“Don't ponder too much on it!” he suggests. “Just say the words.”

“There is a prayer from my community on Jedha.”

Two Ithorian mouths smile at you simultaneously. “I would very much like to hear it.”

You close your eyes, listening to the sound of your heart. It pounds against your rib case as if it wants to break free.

In you all things consist and hang together:
    The very atom is light energy,
    the grass is vibrant,
    the rocks pulsate
    .All is in flux;
    turn but a stone
    and an angel moves...”

After a long time of silence you look at the alien in front of you. He looks somewhat thoughtful.

“You should go for a walk. Bring Mistress Samye the first thing that crosses you way on your return,” Old Jho advices you. “My people back on Ithor believe in the Mother Jungle and her omnipresence. It gives one a sign when it is needed.”

Taken aback, you stare at him.

“When you think of it, Lor, the Force is omnipresent, too. Therefore it will answer you. Because you are a believer, always were.”

You pay heed to his words and have a long walk alongside the Barchetta River.

There you sit down in the grass to ponder about the things that you would like to say to Nagina.

After a while you lean back and cross your arms behind your neck, staring into the bright sky.

If you could dare, you would kiss that lips long and passionate. But first you need to be sure that your feelings about Nagina do not mislead you. Women are a different matter than ancient scripts and gruesome tombs.

The clouds pass by and so do some local birds.

Back on Jedha the guardians of the Whills had a very special member within their ranks: Bathseba, the convor. Nobody knew how old she was. It was whispered that she had been a chick when the temple of the kyber had been erected.

You sigh.

An ancient creature from the dawn of time.

This reminds you of someone else.

It is not impossible that Nagina had a love affair with Sheev Palpatine. That she is a former mistress of his and sent into exile before he put the galaxy on fire and erased the Jedi order.

But then again, why would a powerful Sith lord fall in love with a kindergarten teacher?

There is something wrong in this picture. If you could just put a finger on it.

You try to focus on the bright side of life again.

It does not matter who Nagina has been with. She is here on Lothal now and starting a new job position soon. You have checked that out.

With a smile you concentrate on the whisper of the grass, the freshness of the landscape.

When the evening falls, you get up and start walking back to her house.

Close to Nagina's lawn you see the most perfect daisy and pluck it.

The sign of the Force.

Your neighbour woman might have been annoyed with you the past hours. But when you left her, it had been her eyes that gave you the whole story. Those eyes cannot lie.

Suddenly, you spot an Imperial officer. At least you think it must be one. He wears a white uniform that you have never seen before. It comes with a long, floating cloak.

The man stares at Nagina's home, hesitant to open the garden gate. “No, no, no!” you hear him curse. “I can't. Not like that.”

He kicks the ground before him.

“Tomorrow would be a better idea.”

Then you see him freeze. He seems to have noticed a white daisy and plucks it, just to start playing an old childhood game with it. He starts to pull of the petals.

“Nagina will see me. She won't. She will. Argh! Freck it!

A slender hand with long fingers comes down on your left shoulder. “Come inside for a cup of tea, Lor! I do not know what ails this officer over there, but you are in need for company.”

You nod.

“Besides, your own daisy needs some water to survive the next hours. You do not need to tear it apart on Nagina's behalf. I believe her door will be always open to you.”

Sources:
    The song “Always” by Erasure (1994 )

Kurisan, Kahara and DarthUncle like this.
  14. DarthUncle

Mar 20, 2005
    Aww, that's sweet. Great to get to see and know Lor a bit better AzureAngel2, his genuine feeling, concern and confusion in a time of turmoil is very human yet wise. And the image of Krennic being afraid to enter Nagina's cottage is a sweet, and yet also poignant point about how he is still a petulant boy in some respects. The contrast between how the two men come about their daisy, and then treat it is very telling of the sort of men they are.

Kahara likes this.
  15. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    DarthUncle: Thanks for realizing that! You are a good spotter! Working on our balcony the past days & handling so many plants made me think about daisies somehow. [face_blush] Then one thing let to another.

(And thanks for not killing me for scanning in stuff so late at night for my new work, after having spent hours on the balcony, sorting out my wardrobe and then cleaning up my wardrobe. You know what? The "Simon Beckett" audio play is out as well.)

DarthUncle and Kahara like this.
  16. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Vignette 17:

Title: “Shadow land, a Nagina vignette

Author:@AzureAngel2

Co-Author and editor: DarthUncle

Time frame: The story takes place 59 BBY.

Planet of choice: Naboo

Summary:A hard working, single mother discovers a dreadful truth. The man she trusted with the well-being of her baby girl let her down. An old Naboo saying says that a scorpion will never change his nature. That seems to be the only reality for a mighty Sith lord.

Come little children I'll take thee away,
    Into a land of enchantment,
    Come little children the time's come to play,
    Here in my garden of shadows.

Follow sweet children I'll show thee the way
    Through all the pain and the sorrows
    Weep not poor children for life is this way,
    murdering beauty and passions.

Hush now dear children
    It must be this way to weary of life and exceptions.
    Rest now my children for soon we'll away
    Into the calm and the quite.

Uh Uh Uh.

Come little children I'll take thee away
    Into a land of enchantment,
    Come little children the time's come to play,
    Here in my garden of shadows.

Uh Uh Uh.

Nagina is your little angel. As gentle as a grazing Shaak calf and as sweet as a freshly plucked Naboo berry. But she sleeps too much, seldom wakes up. When she does, her gaze is hazy. Too unfocused really.

Your motherly instincts tell you that there is something wrong with her.

Babies should begin to follow moving objects with their eyes and reach for things at around three months of age. Nagina is about four months old.

Carefully, you gather the small bundle in your arms.

Sheev has hidden her for you in an empty fruit box in the garden shelter. At times you have the impression that he enjoys those hide-and-seek games too much. He is a master of mischief, when you let him. The naughty big brother who relishes your shared secret.

Whatever happens, Nagina must not be found. It would mean her certain death. You and your half-brother agree on that.

Old Cosinga does not commit the same mistake twice. It is known throughout the Lake Country. After he secretly killed your mother, his involuntary mistress, he left you alive under his roof as a punishment. His grand-child will not be shown the same mercy.

With the sleeping baby pressed against your chest, you walk through the garden gate.

Here, at the edge of the vast estate, nobody will disturb the two of you.

The rest of the staff is busy in the villa with its thirty-seven rooms. And you know for certain, that the Palpatine family is off-world. Your father made that very clear last night, underlining the information with violent lashes of his whip. To be on the safe side, he had added some punches into your abdomen and bruised at least one of your ribs.

You take a deep breath, even though it hurts to breath.

Once more old Cosinga made sure he injured you only in places that nobody can spot easily. He plays this crying game with you since you are seven years old. But he did much worse to Sheev.

You shiver just thinking about his scars. About the abyss that his soul can be at times. When he was just a couple of hours old, he got almost strangled to death.

A butterfly sails by, happy and careless.

Convergence could be a place of extraordinary beauty, tranquillity and elegance. Just like the Villa Varykino which is about three-hundred metres away down the road.

Yaa Devii Sarva Bhooteshu Dayaa Roopena Samsthita Namastasyai Namastasyai Namastasyai Namo Namaha,” you mumble into the autumn breeze. I bow again and again to the Devi, who dwells in all creatures in the form of mercy or kindness.

Your faith in the moon goddess of your people is strong. Your mother has it, you have it and you will make sure that Nagina will have it, too.

Therefore you speak further words of praise.

Ma Amba Lalitha Devi
    Parashakti Sundari
    Namastasyai Namastasyai Namastasyai Namo Namah
    Ma Amba Lalitha Devi
    Mahamaye Mangale
    Ma Amba Lalitha Devi
    Mahakali Bhairavi
    Ma Amba Lalitha Devi
    Mahalakshmi Vaishnavi
    Ma Amba Lalitha Devi
    Ma Sarasvati Brahmi
    Ma Amba Lalitha Devi
    Durga Devi Shankari
    Ma Amba Lalitha Devi
    Uma Parvati Shive
    Ma Amba Lalitha Devi
    Ma Bhavani Ambike
    Ma Amba Lalitha Devi
    Annapurna Lakshmi Ma
    Namastasyai Namastasyai Namastasya Namo Namah
    Ma Amba Lalitha Devi
    Kamala Katyayani
    Namastastasyai Namastasyai Namastasyai Namo Namah
    Ma Amba Lalitha Devi
    Tvam Tripura Sundari
    Namastasyai Namastasyai Namastasya Namo Namah

Shiraya will guide your baby girl through every darkness in life. Of that you are sure.

The Divine Mother is everywhere.
    She is in everything.
    She is the Divine Essence that lives within all beings.
    Her domain is the field of life, for she gives
    to all beings the sustenance that is needed for life.
    Her beauty lives in the natural world,
    and spans the universes in all their splendour.
    She has been called by many names,
    for all traditions recognize Her.
    Into each consciousness the knowledge is given
    of the sacredness of life.
    This sacredness IS the Mother.
    She is the holy generator of the physical world,
    joined to the heart and soul of every living thing.
    All of the Earth is one with Her.
    All beings of the Earth owe their life to Her,
    for she is the Mother of all, the One who bestows
    all gifts of life.
    Her gifts come to the deserving and to the
    non-deserving alike, for the sun does not choose
    upon whom to shine.
    She is the source of Divine blessing, the part
    of the Oneness that bestows the graces that fill life.
    We have not seen Her because her being is
    cloaked in silence.
    She emerges now as part of the Oneness where
    she has always resided, blessing all, giving to all.
    All who bow before Her are sustained by the life
    within them.
    All who honour Her are sustained by life's gifts
    both within themselves and beyond.
    The purpose of existence is to join with Life that lives
    in all dimensions and all realms of being.
    It is the Mother that creates this evolving,
    this unfolding journey,
    for she is the fabric of Time itself,
    the means by which all things grow.
    She is the template for life that exists within Her --
    the substance and form of all that shall ever come to be.
    May all be blessed by the blessings of the
    Divine Oneness.

You walk down to the lake, where you take off your shoes and dip them inside the water. For that you have to put Nagina aside, who does not wake up.

When you gather the child in your arms again, you smell it. Coming straight from her little mouth.

Cold hands grip your heart.

Your nose is seldom mistaken. It is actually way better than that of the operating chéf.

Red poppy seed.

“No!” you wail and get up.

You need something that will help Nagina to get rid of the opiate. But you cannot run back to the house. That is completely out of question.

Perhaps when you run over to Varykino. The family who owns it are not in, but some of their staff members are. People that you know since years. Who you can afford to trust.

You are already on the road, when Sheev approaches with his Gian speeder. He had been in Theed, which is two flight hours away. Of course, he stops the engines and calls out your name.

Mandré!”

That does not impress you much. You walk on, Nagina suddenly weighing a thousand tons.

Your half-brother runs after you.

“Where do you think you are taking her?” he demands to know, his voice worse than a whiplash.

You walk as fast as your injuries allow.

His hands claw around your shoulder blades.

“What... is.... the... matter?” he asks out of breath.

“You poisoned her!” you accuse him right away.

Your daughter's life is too precious for a fruitless discussion with him. A Palpatine always feels righteous and on top of things.

He releases you immediately and you swing around to face him.

His noble features are a mixture of shock and rage. And then, oddly, guilt. “It was just a small amount of poppy seed,” he says in a low tone.

This is when it happens. While your left hand clings on to your child, your right hands smacks into his face with full force. He, who usually knows all, has not seen this coming.

“Nagina needs not to be drugged for senseless reasons, Sheev!” You glare up to him. “You failed me as a baby sitter. But even worse, you failed her as an uncle.”

You also could tell him that about one teaspoon of poppy seeds is the scale for every seven pounds of body weight. Someone weighing about seventy kilograms should probably eat no more than seven tablespoons of raw poppy seeds at a time. For a baby like Nagina, that has to be scaled back more than proportionally to be safe.

He gives you a helpless smile. “If she really has an overdose, let me...”

“Let you?” you huff.

“To say sorry is not easy for me, Mandré.” His eyes are shaded. “And it is an obstacle for me to not get things done my way. But I implore you, let me heal the child!”

“I'd rather have a Veermok devour her!” you shriek. “Or sacrifice her to the water spirits!”

Emotions fleet over his handsome features, most of them scary. But then he sighs, “Please let me help! If you do not trust me any more, trust the Force.”

You know your half-brother to be destructive rather than creative, but then You see the blue light threads that gather around his finger tips. It reminds me of a kyber crystal that I once saw in action.

“The dark side and the light,” he says. “I studied them both. Please let me undo the harm that I caused. I like to fix things… occasionally.”

You sag down and cry, Nagina silently in your arms.

He hovers above you, all pride gone. “I was wrong in using poppy seeds.” His voice is broken. “But after I already tried laudanum, opium, cocaine and...”

You to lift up a hand in sheer self-defence. “Stop right there!”

“Hear me out!” He squats down, not caring that his fine senate robes get dirty. “This is the first baby I am taking care of. They are so fragile, so unpredictable. I just wanted Nagina to sleep through, not waking up crying.”

You are such a dumb arse, Sheev!” you sniff, aware that your ancestors insist that a scorpion will never change his nature

“I am a Sith,” he adds for consideration. “How am I supposed to know about decent baby care?”

“You volunteered,” you remind him matter-of-fact.

“Yes,” he breathes.

“Throw those ancient script rolls and holocrons away!” you confront him. “Then, and only then, I might consider to allow you to take care of her again.”

“No more sleeping aids for Nagina, I swear!” he says with heart-melting honesty. “Now let me heal her!”

Sources:
    The song “Come Little Children” sung by Sarah Jessica Parker for the movie “Hocus Pocus” (1993)
    A traditional Hindu Durga (Devi) stuti
    Sanskrit “Devi Prayer” from the CD“108 Sacred Names of Mother Divine” by Craig Pruess and Ananda (2002), translated by English text by Julie Redstone

17. DarthUncle

Mar 20, 2005
    Good intentions huh ...

Well, sort of, it was also making Nagina easy to handle, I bet, as well as a fascination to see how such drugs would affect a baby. The quick, easy way. But it is hopeful (well might have seemed so at the time) that he does know how to heal - the way he 'healed' Lord Vader after his duel with Obi Wan wasn't quite the same sort of thing, I gather!

Kahara likes this.
  18. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Nope, it was not the same way, DarthUncle, because Sheev never, ever cared so genuinely for Vader.

Thanks for allowing me to be lazy the entire day & being busy with fanfic. But I like to point out that I sorted the laundry out & gave you an ice cream. O:)

Oh and thanks for pointing out the mistakes to me. I see to it that they get corrected. Before or after the sauna preferably.

Kahara likes this.
  19. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Sheev and his manipulations

Kahara likes this.
  20. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @earlybird-obi-wan: As I say in the vignette itself, a scorpion will never change his nature. The same saying counts for Sith lords.

21. The Ascendant

Apr 26, 2014
    This situation reminds me of two things. One, that such poor adult decision-making exists in the present day, and two, of my own father who used to give my brothers and I Nyquil when we were being too rowdy. Only a few times, sporadic at best, but still we haven't let him forget his mistake to this day. Personally, relations or not, I'm not sure what she was expecting when she entrusted Nagina to a Sith? I'm sure it was her heart hoping for the best, for a change for the better, but there are some risks that are just too big to take, as Mandré now knows.

22. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    From working with kids from an orphanage some time ago, The Ascendant, I know of such sad things, too. I just hope I did not stir up too many bad things inside you.

23. Almerus

Almerus Jedi Master

Jun 14, 2006
    Yikes! What could Nagina have been doing to deserve opiate sedation??? It was interesting that Sheev did show regret over his actions, or perhaps he was just disciplined enough to know a mistake when it happens, but not actually feel sorry about it. You can never really tell how a Sith will rationalize things.

24. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Nagina is a victim of my love for historical facts and interesting books, Almerus.

A long time ago I watched the BBC series "Sally Lockheart Mysteries", based on the novels of the outstanding Philip Pullman. The heroine "accidentally inhales some opium smoke and slides into the nightmare that’s been tormenting her all her life. Only this time, she sees more than she ever has before. She realizes the nightmare involves her father and Colonel Marchbanks. She learns she must have inhaled opium once before in her life, and that the nightmare is a memory and not a dream. The only way to discover its origin and meaning is to smoke opium again–an idea that horrifies her."

Then I also saw the BBC mini-TV series "Fingersmith", also based on a novel (this time by Sarah Waters). There one gets to see how a baby farmer gave babies gin to keep them quiet.

And a long time ago I watched a documentary about the practice of feeding opiates to children during the Victorian Age.

So all three things taken together gave me an excuse to let Sheev do what he did. His niece was neither very loud or very annoying. She suffers from the fact that he had an unhappy childhood with old Cosinga, from whom he tries to hide her. And because he is a Sith and indeed rationalizes things in a strange way.

25. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Series:“Tyrian purple”, a vignette collection concerning Palpatine's niece (my OC)

Title:“Go gentle”, a Nagina vignette

Author:@AzureAngel2

Co-Author and editor: DarthUncle

Time frame: The story takes place about 15 days after the events of RotS (19 BBY).

Planet of choice: Chandrila

Summary:A Twi'lek art student, who has a side job as a night club dancer, comes home for a large family party. It is a reunion she has been looking forward to, especially after Sheev Palpatine made himself Emperor. But there is a man, who is not welcome at the party. Someone who is not family and never will be. He is worse than a notorious stalker.

I won't lie to you
    I know he's just not right for you
    And you can tell me if I'm off
    But I see it on your face
    When you say that he's the one that you want
    And you're spending all your time
    In this wrong situation
    And any time you want it to stop

I know I can treat you better
    Than he can
    And any girl like you deserves a gentleman
    Tell me why are we wasting time
    On all on your wasted crime
    When you should be with me instead
    Better than he can

I'll stop time for you
    The second you say you'd like me too
    I just wanna give you the loving that you're missing
    Baby, just to wake up with you
    Would be everything I need and this could be so different
    Tell me what you want to do

Cause I know I can treat you better
    Than he can
    On all on your wasted crime

Better than he can
    Better than he can

Give me a sign
    Take my hand, we'll be fine
    Promise I won't let you down
    Just know that you don't
    Have to do this alone
    Promise I'll never let you down

Cause I know I can treat you better
    Than he can
    And all on your wasted crime
    I know I can treat you better...

Better than he can(oh)
    Better than he can
    Better than he can

Chandrilan wine, especially rosé, is your favourite. You had your first taste of it when you enrolled in art studies on far away Coruscant. It was Pa who got the two wine bottles. Just for the occasion he had taken the family speeder to the space port of Emita. There, his favourite wine merchant used to be located. He had been back for dinner right on time.

You have such fond memories of that particular evening. There is a good reason why you will never forget the actual date. It was the night before the Clone Wars hit the galaxy without warning or mercy.

“Was the battle above Coruscant scary?” one of your younger siblings, a Rhodian boy, asks.

“Did you see Jedi getting murdered?” another one, this time a human, wants to know.

You put a finger on your lips, which silences them immediately. “The enemy always listens,” you whisper.

They go quiet, understanding the danger that you are all in.

A man dressed in a white Imperial uniform stands next to the mantle piece of the fire place. His eyes are red-rimmed, while he finishes one whiskey after the other. With unbelievable displeasure he glares at everybody.

One of your hands wanders upwards to your headdress, checking if it is still correctly in place.

Men like Orson make you uncomfortable. When you are on the dance floor they do not matter to you for you simply go through the motions then. But in these private surroundings, it disturbs your peace of mind a big deal.

You take a sip of wine to calm yourself again. It works.

A study pal of Nagina, a sweet Alderanian kindergarten teacher, walks by and you greet her. You end up being engaged in a nice conversation about jizz music.

Not much later, with the tips of your tchun-tchin turning dark green from the alcohol, you smile warmly.

Your parents are at the other end of the living-room, talking with an old Naboo acquaintance, who also new Nagina as a little child. A certain Brother Eliodoro from Theed. His order worships some kind of moon goddess. As a Twi'lek you can relate to such a faith easily. According to your people the universe was born from the womb of the Mother – Kika'lekki – and her breath – the Living Force – gave life to it.

Your boy-friend Milow puts his arms around your hips and draws you close to him. “Unhappy?” he inquires.

“Not for Nagina, no.” You enjoy the comfort of his embrace. “But Krennic causes me a headache.”

He leans in closer, his lips almost touching your left cone. “There are people around here who will take care of him.”

Of course you know the plan, but you doubt that it will work.

“Try to have a little faith into your brothers, babe,” Milow chuckles. “They are former Republic Intelligence agents. So one should think they know what to do.”

Of course they are not your real brothers. Chetan and Gita are not your real parents either, but both humans put so much effort into the task of raising you that you cannot imagine your life without them or your countless foster siblings.

After your bad experiences as a slave girl on Nar Shadda the Anil family taught you how to trust other beings again. From them you also learned how to leave the shadows behind and enjoy the full sun again.

Amongst your siblings, it was especially Nagina who was important in getting you better. Today it's her forty-first birthday. And this is a carefully planned surprise party in her honour.

You give the human a loving glance. She is in deep conversation with Dravits and Berch, while hugging little Mara close to her large bosom. The four of them laugh a lot.

Most humans would refer to Nagina as big woman, but as a Twi'lek you see her in a different light. Her voice is extremely gentle, giving you pleasant shivers all over your body.

Suddenly, she looks into your direction. You grin at her and cross the tips of your tchun-tchin twice.

“I love you, too,” she mouths back wordlessly by forming a little heart with her hands.

For that gesture Dravits pokes her playfully into her side. “Am I boring you, 'sis?” he asks, glee written all over his haughty features. “Normally, I would force somebody to stay put with electro shocks.”

“Why?” asks little Mara innocently.

While Nagina pales a bit, Berch cuts in, “Do not mind our Dravits, grass hopper! He is a nasty piece of work.”

You snigger, feeling the wine conquering your senses more and more.

Dravits smirks, but then winks at his foster brother. “Dogs that bark do not bite, Mara,” he explains to the attentive girl looking up to him. “Some of your new brothers, especially Berch here, are like watchdogs. But they love you as you are. That is the only rule under this roof.”

Suddenly, the hard tunes of a piano cut into your world, explode in your head. With your cone-shaped hearing organs, you filter out the underlying violence.

Wide eyed you stare at the human who more or less violates the musical instrument.

“And if somebody hurts you I wanna fight,
    But my hands been broken, one too many times
    So I use my voice, I'll be so ****ing rude
    Words they always win, but I know I'll lose”

Music was your first love in life, but Orson does not really care for it. Like most things in his life it is just an outlet for his large ego.

“And I'll sing a song, that'd be just ours,
    But I sang 'em all to another heart
    And I wanna cry I wanna learn to love,
    But all my tears have been used...”

With a loud bang Berch closes the piano lid, with the fingers of the player still on the keyboard. “Play something more cheerful, you freking idiot!”

Your foster brother always hated the Krennic boy and vice versa. Around Nagina they act like bulabirds doing a courtship dance.

With dangling tchun-tchin you shake your head. Then you exchange a look with Mom, who is already on her way to intervene before things get out of hand.

Nagina has gotten awfully pale. Being highly Force-sensitive she suffers extremely when an argument happens right in front of her. But even worse for her, she loves this undeserving brute like kin.

“Outrageous,” mutters Crix next to you. The ginger haired Corellian is also one of your foster brothers. “Krennic blows an entire birthday party ... again.”

It is legend that Orson had one of his famous fits during Nagina's sixteenth birthday. Nobody had told him that she had gotten a grant for social pedagogics and child education. At the University of Alderaan. That made him knock her birthday cake from the table, insult her with inappropriate words for an eight year old and run off.

Considering the options, you take a long sip from your wine glass. “Why don't you and 'the boys' take care of it?”

“No, Mama Gita is on the prowl,” Crix answers. “Her tactics always work.”

“Remind me, why we have to deal with Orson again?” you hiss, feeling like strangling the impossible man with your tchun-tchin.

Crix scratches his chin. “Because Nagina has this eccentric relative, who got it into his head to appoint Krennic as her guardian.”

Some of your siblings seem to know the identity of that relative, but you don't need a name. What you need is a happy foster sister.

Back at her old kindergarten job on Coruscant Nagina did manage to bring around sandwiches and other goodies to your night club. You owe her a thousand times for her kindness.

While your foster mother leads Orson outside the living-room to have a word with him, you saunter towards a sister who is in dire need of a hug and some compassion. Your people back on Ryloth have a saying, “We are one spirit, though we travel many paths back home.”

Since you became part of the large Anil family, you understand how the Living Force works.

Sources:
    The song Treat You Better from Shawn Mendes (2016)
    Some lyrics from the song “Another love” by Tom Odell (2012)

earlybird-obi-wan perhaps I should point out this update here, too.

And The Ascendant, I hope this one does not stir anything unpleasant this time. Feel hugged!