main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Funny. I've spent 3+ years trying to convince #5 on your enemies list how crappy the acting is in these children's movies.

Now, it seems, they're getting better - James Spader as Ultron, RDJ hitting the right notes in Civil War, and Benedict bringing a bit of gravitas to Strange.

Perhaps I'm getting soft, or perhaps I just got worn down by the Marvel crusaders and have decided to conform.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

Resistance is futile. :p

They're comic book movies so I expect OTT acting. It is nice when the actors do go above and beyond though.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

But... I'm not the one who said the acting is the best parts in most cases, except (actually) RDJ as Tony Stark and some others (i.e. Hiddleston, Ruffalo, Evans)... but the movies are so much better put together than anything else of the kind, it doesn't matter as much. :p

I rewatched The Avengers on the plane ride home today and forgot just how bad Cobie Smulders is, despite the fact the movie's amazing.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    She is bad in that movie - a lot of people were pretty bad in that movie, though - including Sam Jackson himself. I did like the one scene when she's asking Fury about the location of Coulson's cards, though.

Cobie redeemed herself in The Winter Soldier, though. A film in which nearly all of the performances were good-to-great.

Jedi Merkurian and dp4m like this.
  6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

I don't think Fiege is petty. If an "Inhumans" film were to happen, I'd wager that the series cast would be used.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I would hope so too but we ain't seen no TV-sourced stuff in the flicks (movie-sourced stuff has trickled down to the TV but not vice versa) and there has been ample opportunity to do so. If Feige and the movie crew want to make an Inhumans movie, I can't see them bothering to use anything from the TV show. This is assuming that the movie side of Marvel still has notions to make an Inhumans movie, which he last indicated they did: "I think Inhumans will happen for sure. I don’t know when. I think it’s happening on television. And I think as we get into Phase 4 as I’ve always said, it could happen as a movie. I think it would be super cool."

I don't think it's pettiness, I think it's contract stuff. As one of the Russos pointed out re. the divide between the TV and movie divisions even invoked the spectre of Fox controlling the X-Men, calling it a "smaller scale problem":

"Anthony Russo: It’s complicated. When we start to serialize the telling of stories it’s difficult. You have to have a lot of control and focus on the course of history. The films are controlled by a group led by Kevin Feige, so they function as a unit. Other products, even if they are from Marvel, are controlled by others. Then there is the possibility of a crossover, but it’s more complicated. It is a smaller scale version of the problem that exists when remembering that Fox holds the rights to some of Marvel’s most popular characters, as does Sony and others. As storytellers, we only have control over what happens in Marvel movies, but everything is possible, Spider-Man (whose rights were held by Sony) became possible!"

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  9. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Well the movies and TV shows do seem to generate interest in the original source material.

WebLurker likes this.
  10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Talking about AOS in a film is not the same as a television mini-series that comes and goes, which then leads to a future film. We don't know what all is going with Inhumans compared to AOS, which is pretty clear.

11. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    He was my only choice for Marc Spector, but now he'll be Inhuman royalty...Anson Mount is Black Bolt. Very happy for Anson, he was fantastic in Hell On Wheels. I will definitely watch the Inhumans show now.

BigAl6ft6 and cerealbox like this.
  12. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    So now I can say that the movie Non-Stop is about a plane hijacking with Qui Gon Jinn, Black Bolt and Maz Kanata/Nakia and the evil guy from Ant-man.

Master_Lok and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  14. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Bugman Edgar vs Spider-Man :D

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Kingpin needs to take on Spidey. He's a Spidey villain, dangit. Yes, currently Fisk is cooling his heels in the pokey but they really don't have to chat about his Daredevil-TV series backstory at all. Fisk is a crime lord, hires super-powered criminals to take down the Spider. Also get Daredevil in there and flat-out Punisher (once again, Punisher is also a Spidey-created character).

Lately in the comics, Black Cat has been the Kingpin which is interesting but you know Fisk is just going to roll back in eventually. Maybe some what they can incorporate all of that. Although, even though Marvel is very deep in on production of Homecomming, Sony doesn't seem to like not having flashy villains in their Spider-flicks. Heck, maybe just fast forward a bit and make it Black Cat vs. Kingpin vs. Tombstone for NYC criminal dominance with Spidey caught in the middle.

16. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Yeah, some of the best Ultimate Spider-Man stuff were Spidey vs. the Kingpin.

Maybe, the Warriors story arc in USM (basically gangland warfare with Spidey caught in the middle) was pretty good. Not sure about Black Cat, although that is a character I've never been very fond of or had much use for.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I know Black Cat is inherently just Spider-Man's Catwoman (with a dash of bad luck powers), although I think making her a ticked-off Kingpin of Crime recently has been a interesting way to take the character. Basically,I am totally okay with another sexy cat-dressed female criminal in a comic book movie aside from Catwoman once a decade. We almost had Felicity Jones as the Black Cat! Think about it, people! Felicity Jones!

Bring back Emma Stone and Felicity Jones from the ASM-verse void, I sez. Well, okay, Emma is probably too old now to be rollin' with Tom Holland as high school Gwen but I sez make her Spider-Gwen from another universe. And obviously there needs to be a JK Simmons JJ, like, absolutely. I loved the idea that I believe The2ndQuest suggested that one constant in the Spider-Verse should be JK Simmons JJJ.

And then make a Spider-Verse movie bringing in everyone from all the movies! Tobey can be the senior Spidey-figure. Garfield can be the one getting over a trauma and Holland can be the wide-eyed newbie seeing all of the Spider-People. Bring back Rami to make it too. It'll be the Spider-Man movie version of The Force Awakens.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The Felicia Hardy / Black Cat of 1990s Spider-Man TAS remains my favorite version, voiced by Jennifer Hale

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Some of the usual roles of Mary-Jane and Gwen Stacy are combined in the role of Felicia Hardy.

While Gwen Stacy is never introduced (except in an alternative universe in final 65th episode), and it's Mary-Jane who takes her main role, falling off the bridge to never return. Then Peter Parker marrying and going on honeymoon with MJ when she apparently returns, but it's then revealed she's a clone (who didn't know she was a clone) and is killed while telling Peter/Spidey "if I was ever anything like the real Mary-Jane Watson, she loves you more than anything... more. than. anything." :( Leaving Peter Parker a widower with the MJ clone's death.

Meanwhile, Felicia evolves from the rich daughter of a philanthropist to a person who feels cursed with bad luck. Especially with her then-boyfriend Morbius accidentally becoming a vampire, and then later her fiancé is revealed to be the Hobgoblin. She turns from one of Peter's two main love-interests to his non-romantic best friend, but falls completely in love with Spider-Man, who feels he can't return the feeling for her safety. She's hit rock-bottom when she's kidnapped by the Kingpin, and forced to take the Captain America supersoldier formula, becoming the Black Cat and winning her freedom from the Kingpin. Then becoming Spider-Man's partner in crimefighting, finally able to fight alongside her idol, but learns with great power comes great responsibility... and she never learns his true identity, and he never learns her true identity. I almost feel like she could have been Spider-Man's true soulmate in this series, if they had only shared their secret identities with each other.

Truly, I feel she became the secondary protagonist of the show over its 65 episodes. She has a seasons-long storyline and hero's journey just as much as Spider-Man in this show. This show's version will always be the definitive version of Felicia Hardy.

BigAl6ft6 and heels1785 like this.
  19. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I think you're one of the few who don't mind. The response I've gathered has been decidedly negative. Me personally, I don't really care that much, but I'm not sure taking a character as far from their roots as Black Cat has been is really a good call.

Yeah, what about it?

Jones maybe. She looks enough like Black Cat I guess and would probably do well acting-wise.

I think after the ASM movies, Gwen needs a break. I want to see the MCU put MJ back in. It's been long enough and I think it's her turn now. Also, the ASM movies had a pretty badly written Gwen. While Stone did do pretty good all things considered, the result was on of the weakest love interest characters in the genre. No need to dredge up the bones of that. Also, why would we want to see Spider-Gwen? The movies are complicated enough without throwing in parallel universes. Besides, Peter needs a chance to establish himself and be Spider-Man for awhile before trying to throw in other Spider people or replace him or whatever.

Yeah, Simmons was perfect casting (I mean, it seems like pretty much every other version of Jameson in video format is basically trying to recreate Simmons, I suppose kind of like how Patrick Stewart is now what Professor X looks and sounds like).

No thanks, not interested.

I don't think any of the shows I saw had her.

Sounds about par for the course; in the Raimi movies; MJ and Gwen mixed and matched traits with each other, while in the Ultimate Spider-Man comics Ultimate MJ was also something of a blend between her classic counterpart and Gwen.

If I understand it correctly, they didn't use Gwen, since they didn't feel they could or should introduce a character who's only purpose was to die, and given how they had to modify MJ's role in the re-jigging of "The Night Gwen Stacy Died" from dying to being lost through a portal, that may have been just as well. Actually kind funny if you think about it, but the cartoon must've been the first place that had MJ taking Gwen's place in the bridge story. The Raimi movies and Ultimate comics also did the same, although Spidey was successful in saving her in those cases. That also means that, of the times "The Night Gwen Stacy Died" (or should we be calling it "The Night Mary Jane Watson Almost Died"?) has been adapted, MJ has been the one thrown off the bridge far more times than Gwen was; I think the second Amazing Spider-Man movie was the first time since the original that Gwen was the star.

Okay, sounds like a more interesting character than the one I'm thinking of. I only saw her in the Spectacular cartoon (okay, but basically a poor man's Catwoman) and the Ultimate comics (she worked for what she was and they got some really funny mileage out of the larger age gap between her and Spidey in this one). Because of her limited roles, that might be why I can take or leave the character.

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    @WebLurker

She's credited with 29 episodes (even more than Aunt May and Harry Osborn... only JJ, Robertson, MJ, and the Kingpin had more appearances) throughout all seasons. She definitely progressed a lot as a character, with a very interesting arc with unexpected twists.

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    ‘Marvel’s Inhumans’ ABC Series Casts Black Bolt

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
  23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Most of this is meh but keep in mind the next time you watch the first Iron Man there was no script. According to this they had an outline, and called writers here and there, but the dialogue was made up moments before shooting a scene.

24. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    So at D23 this year, we should see some clips or concept art for: Thor Ragnarok, Black Panther, Infinity War, Ant-man and Wasp, and Captain Marvel.

25. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    wow i never heard that about Iron Man. amazing the first one turned out so well.