main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge February 2017 Fanfic WORD RACE! (IT IS OVER POST YE FINAL COUNTS!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jan 22, 2017.

1. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Final count: 12,826 words of crazy dares, Life Day celebrations, and mushy, angsty teenagers!

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Added 200 words today (not much because I am still busy in my new home and helping my mom with shopping) So the total will be about 2800

yahiko, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  3. A Blind Prophet

A Blind Prophet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2016
    getting sick seriously derailed me. oh well, didn't crack 20k but i got close.

adding another 873 words giving me a grand total of: 19,761

yahiko, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I'm going to call my final count for the month 5305, which accounts for the completion of the Celtic story (whew!) and its notes. And it's easy for me to remember, because it's the street address number at which I grew up. :)

Raissa Baiard, yahiko and Ewok Poet like this.
  5. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    ALRIGHT ALRIGHT! The month is over and people have 2 days to post their final counts!

I managed to get to a diary post that has been in my head for MONTHS! Which boosted me to 9280! (Not my best - I've cracked 10 and 12k before, but NOT THAT BAD considering I also wrote two papers that added up to over 6000 words... and dealt with the awards :p ).

Also, I don't have the brain power to do a formal servery, so if anyone has any ideas for a fun spin on this challenge or some sort of interesting prize I could offer (not colours - giving out colours for this challenge is honestly a pain in the butt), let me know.

Findswoman , yahiko and Ewok Poet like this.
  6. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I mostly edited my epilogue last night. New total as of midnight: 19691 words.
    I'd like to suggest that we have a read-and-review word race instead of a writing word race from time to time. It's probably the only way I'll ever catch up on all the fics where I fell behind in the first place :p but more generally I think it could be a great way to motivate ourselves to leave more substantial reviews on the fics we read and give our fellow authors the credit they deserve.

Tarsier, Briannakin , yahiko and 2 others like this.
  7. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    My final word count is 36 385.

I agree on this.

Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  8. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Would this be sort of a word race for reviews? As in, keeping track of one's review word count for the month instead of one's story word count? If so then yes, I agree, that would a wonderful idea. :)

Tarsier, Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Sounds like a great idea that perhaps someone else can pick up (I have a bunch of new stuff in the works for around here)?

Ewok Poet, Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  10. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I didn't quite make it to 5,000 words like I wanted. I was counting on more time on jury duty, people always say it's a lot of sitting around waiting and I'd planned on writing. It was very little sitting and waiting, at least in places that I could write.

My final total is 4,189

I'm quite happy with that. I think It's a lot further than I would have gotten without the word race. I worked on quite a few things, and while most of them aren't finished, it gave me a good start.

11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I think one of us reviewing aficionados could work on it.

I have been toying with the idea of writing a "How to review a story" guide of sorts for a while, since sometimes there are all these replies that are nothing more than a summary of the story and, on the other end, are the people who are afraid to even attempt to say something.

This would be TOS-compliant, of course. And contain some suggestions for authors to respond to their reviewers or just thank them appropriately, in order to nurture the friendly atmosphere. There's this guy who writes awesome action stories, but he completely ignores reviews and that sort of stuff makes me sad.

And of course, this would have to take place after awards.

I would not make it like a classic word race - so people wouldn't be able to spew random fancy words from dictionaries. There would either have to be a rule on what counts, a set of challenges ("review a story from the depths of the board", "review an epic")...more like a review Olympics.

But let's see how this differs - or not - from what Chyntuck had on her mind. :)

yahiko and Findswoman like this.
  12. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    While I think that a discussion thread about reviews would be interesting, I don't think that we should have fancy criteria for a review word race. There are people on the boards who leave a one-line review on every fic they read and there are people who leave a very detailed analysis on just a few fics. Looking back at past winners of the Best Reviewer category in the awards, it's clear that there are writers on the boards who appreciate both types of reviews.

If we're talking about a review word race, I don't see why we should make a difference between a person who leaves a ten-word review on thirty fics and a person who leaves a 300-word review on a single fic. We just count the words, and I think it would be a good way to encourage people to simply review more stories.

If someone wants to organise something like the review Olympics that EP suggested above, that's a different thing entirely. It could make for a slew of more extensive reviews, but not necessarily for more reviews in general. Plus, we already have the Read & Review Tag challenge for in-depth reviews.

In any case, I'm extremely wary of anything that comes remotely close to telling anyone on the boards that they're "spewing fancy words from dictionaries", whether in their writing or in their reviews (or any of their posts, for that matter). Besides the fact that it's a rather unfriendly comment, we all have an extremely different understanding of what it could possibly mean. As far as I am concerned, the good old rule that goes "if you don't like it, don't read it" should apply to reviews like it does to stories.

13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I agree that people should leave whatever review they feel comfortable with (I'm notorious for reading stuff on mobile then only leaving a brief review because I will totally forget to if I leave it until I'm on a laptop). BBBBBUUUUUTT this isn't a place for a discussion. If you want to propose a review challenge, PM us mods.

Chyntuck, yahiko and Findswoman like this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Makes sense. Should've had more caffeine before I went all rant-y. Thanks, both of you. <3

15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    BAHHHHHHHH!!! I need a new brain.

Anyways, here are the final counts!

A Blind Prophet - 19761
    Briannakin - 9280
    Chyntuck - 19691
    earlybird-obi-wan - 2800
    Ewok Poet - 36 385
    Findswoman - 5305
    Kahara
    mavjade - 4,189
    Mistress_Renata - 11,088
    Pandora - 2321
    Raissa Baiard - 12,826
    SatineNaberrie - 310
    yahiko - 3945

Congratulations Ewok Poet on your victory!

Also, once again, if anyone has any one has any idea for alternative prizes for this challenge, let me know. I'd like to be able to offer something different.

16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I can write drabbles for the top 5, unless somebody explicitly does not want me to. I already have an idea for one about ABP's OC and one about Winter. :)

Послато са SM-J500FN уз помоћ Тапатока

17. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    After a lot of head-scratching: how about a sticky advertisement thread for the fics that the winner wrote during the race?

18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I knew coffee was too much for Cornholio. o_O ARE YOU HELPING ME? WHY YOU GIVE ME TP? :eek: :eek: :eek: LAKE TITICACA.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

yahiko likes this.
  19. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    I can offer a podfic/audio recording of up to 15–20 minutes worth of story. :)

yahiko and Ewok Poet like this.
  20. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Congrat on your words Ewok Poet! =D=
    And congrats to everyone who met your personal goal, or even just gave it a shot!

21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks for your ideas Ewok Poet, Chyntuck and Findswoman . I also had the idea of the winner getting to post a fic-gift request publicly and one (or more) of the "losers" has to write it (basically whoever gets bitten by a plot bunny for it and if no one does, I can just write it.

BUT what I am going to do, is ask for these (and any other prize ideas) to be submitted next time I run this (I'm THINKING June), then I'll post a poll the first week of the race and have people pick the prize for that race.

22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Oooo, I LOVE YOUR IDEA!

23. A Blind Prophet

A Blind Prophet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2016
    i was literally just short of my goal of 20k, but alas, no writing done in the last half of the month.

i was thinking i could probably toss out a one-shot fic gift.

yahiko, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  24. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014