main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Horizon Series: Zero Dawn (PS4) and Forbidden West (PS4/5)

Discussion in 'Community' started by JEDI-SOLO, Feb 28, 2017.

1. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    This game hit today. I hope I'm not the only one playing it. It's BEAUTIFUL! So crisp and fluid in combat. I'm hoping the story delivers as well. Please use spoiler tags on any story points for now since it's brand new. Enjoying myself and so is Jace(my son)!

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    No spoilers allowed (at least for several months). I was planning on renting the game at Redbox over the weekend. Wish they had a demo, but what're ya gonna do?

3. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Oh wow my thread actually went through? I couldn't see it after making it but I did it twice thinking I did it wrong. Mods can close the other one.

Moll likes this.
  4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I would be damn curious for an answer about one thing that's probably a spoiler but which I'm told is actually kinda justified by the story eventually: the title of the game.

The title has always been awkward since they announced it. As I've joked elsewhere, it reads like someone just threw together three random cool-sounding words out of a title generator website.

"Horizon Zero Dawn"
    "Vector Strike Dark"
    "Cyber Night Power"
    "Quad Shadow Force"
    "Challenge Frail Undaunted"
    "Identity Flux Echo"
    "Alpha Paradox Realm"

So, since I probably won't be able to play this game for years, if someone could spoiler tag what that answer about the title's meaning is, I might have fewer brain twitches every time I read this game's title.

TX-20 and Life like this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    This is the kind of exclusive the PS4 deserves - looks like nothing else.

My only concern is it might be a bit too brutal for my liking in terms of difficulty, with that in mind:
    • Are there difficulty settings, with clear indicator of the difference between them?
    • How much of a hit do you take when you get killed? Some games penalise more harshly than others.

6. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I think I might get this game over the weekend. One thing I am curious about is how good the story ends up being. I know it is an open world game and it can be challenging to put together a real crisp story in games of that nature. Most open world games that I know of tend to be more about exploring and questing than they are about giving you a great story.

7. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    There are settings but I didn't pay att to them. You ll go back to your last save or auto save you did. About title I don't know either, I assume it will be handled in further story.

I've got about 6 hrs in already have roamed and stumbled across random quest. So beautiful at dawn! The sky turns a crisp red for a few secs and its wild. The weather is amazing. Combat is fluid.

Ahsoka's Tano and Jedi Ben like this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks, am tempted but a bit wary.

Will be getting Zelda Friday too.

JEDI-SOLO likes this.
  9. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Arrproaching 11 hrs of playtime and still just having a blast! I've gotten quite good at combat. This game has elements of Elder Scrolls and Ass Creed. Everything you need can be harvested in the wild ammo and health wise so you really don't need to spend $ so far if your smart. You do need to be wise about what you collect as there is limited inv space but you can upgrade this from the same harvesting items. It's great! Quick note without going into spoilers, pay attention to your compass as you stumble across side quest by zeroing in "!" Icons that do not show up on your main map. The map itself is prob the best I've ever seen in a game. It's almost in 3D. You can see the shape of the land. I'm def reco this game for sure.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Thanks for the impressions. If Zelda wasn't this weekend, I probably would have gotten this game, it sounds very good. This is exactly the kind of PS4 game I want (especially since P5 is still some time off), but... no offense but Zelda takes priority in terms of time and money. I'll try to pick it up in a month or two, or at least before Christmas.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    This month is insane for games:

Zelda + H:ZD + ME:A

TX-20 likes this.
  12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Please please please do not spoil, but I have a pre-playing wish with Horizon that would be the icing on the cake for me as a favorite game.

The female protagonist Aloy somehow doesn't survive at the end of the game. Maybe she sacrifices herself for her tribe. I really appreciate the games that get you engaged with the main characters enough to the point where you feel some sort of connection to them. And may even be affected their fates in the game. You don't always need to create a franchise-type game with a ton of sequels to leave a legacy.

13. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    No spoilers

But there is a meter telling you game completion. I'm at 10%. Earlier today I got to a point that close to an hr of dialogue you could listen to from about 5 dif people through out. Massive story and world building came out of this part. I was so cool and practically played like a movie. This game has been worthy every penny so far. Also the NPCs are such pricks that you will want to smack around I swear!!

Jedi Ben likes this.
  14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I'm leaning on renting the game at Redbox tomorrow when I get home from work.

15. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Hear good things about this game from friends!

16. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    So Redbox gave me a free one-night Game Rental coupon to use this weekend, so I nabbed the game after getting home from work and will more than likely extend it one more day ($3.00) so I could continue on Sunday.

17. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    They aren't lying to you! If it stays the course it's been going from middle to end then it will cement itself to classics like Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, and KOTOR. I'm still very early in but it's been utterly fantastic for real.

18. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Whats gp like? Like Last Of Us by any chance ??

19. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    You mean gameplay?

B99 likes this.
  20. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    yes

21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Having just played through Rise of the Tomb Raider, I'd say there are some similarities. But Horizon is far more open world; which is a very good thing. Like Tomb Raider, you craft ammo through the resources you find in the environment. There is some element of RPG as well; as you choose how to respond to the other humans you come in contact with. No telling if your choices have a significant outcome in the game or not. As I said, I have the game for the weekend as a Redbox rental. I'm just planning on traversing the open world and maybe level up Aloy a little bit; rather than progress far into the story. Eventually I'll buy the game, as I've already decided it's a must-have.

Jedi Ben and B99 like this.
  22. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Rpgish as you lvl you and grow stronger, bit of Elder Scrolls as you harvest resources in the wild to craft items, combat reminds me of Ass Creed and Uncharted. Lots of scaling along ropes, rocks etc. it's all very fluid motion. Using the mount isn't as near so but I suspect with practice it will be.

Ahsoka's Tano and B99 like this.
  23. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

How late in the game do you get the mount? I just beat the sawtooth for the pre-proving mission. I'm certainly getting the knack of the early stealth attacks, but have to figure out how to use the Tripcaster.

JEDI-SOLO likes this.
  24. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Not to long after Proving you will get. Tripcaster is tricky for sure...you have to shoot it twice and it will then form a line across ground. Then get the targets attention where it run across it. Some enemies (Sawtooth) can just jump over it lol.

My meter says I'm 14.28% completion. I just cleared my 1st
    Bandit camp. It def reminded of Ass Creed Templar strongholds or the Skyrim Bandit caves

So much fun!

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  25. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

If the Sawtooth could've jumped over it, why was it necessary to pick it up from the rogue trading guy before that mission? I wound up killing the Sawtooth with mostly melee attacks and some significant dodging.