main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Even More Magniloquent New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by A Chorus of Disapproval , Dec 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    IncessantRamblings likes this.
  2. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    I'm excited! It's a whole new direction. No more "must be this way or that way." They said in TPM that they would bring balance to the Force. This does it.

3. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I don't see why not.

Been saying this for a while.
    Rey isn't going to be a jedi. She's going to be a SKYWALKER

and no, not by familial relation. Thats going to be the new Force group.

4. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Or they are the final Jedi. You know which one he meant how exactly?

5. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    I don't want to read too much into it, but if Rian is going with a story that brings an end to "the Jedi order" in a formal sense, it's a gutsy move and I'm for it.

Rian Johnson = James Mangold confirmed. ;)

6. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
  7. Master Hamahiga

Master Hamahiga Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Maybe all of the people who are complaining shouldn't see the film. Perhaps just stick with the OT and be done with it, especially if you want something Luke focused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Wow, it certainly is a gutsy move to take the "jedi" out of Star Wars [face_laugh]

Well, I'll be curious to see how it plays out, that's for sure.

9. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    If it really does mean we're going to witness the very Last Jedi ever, I think Luke's new order will be an evolution of the Jedi - the next step. They'll still use the Force etc, but they'll be Luke's order, not the previous repressed bunch.

10. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    If he means "There will be no more Jedi going forward", this is great. I can imagine, for example, a splintering originating on Jedha, where some left to form the Jedi Order on Ahch-To and others went to Moraband to become Sith. The resolution would then be a return to the older Force religion of Jedha.

Don't the Guardians of the Whills eschew light and dark?

11. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    It's not about complaining on my part. I saw a bit of humor in the title given the fact there is only one movie between Return of the Jedi and the Last Jedi.

Satipo and DarthIshyZ like this.
  12. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    Yes, it would be a gutsy, non-corporate interference decision to evolve the idea of good force users past a rigid, trademark-named order. Perhaps it is even a return to the "original" light side force users as defined by the teachings of the first temple Luke found.

13. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    I never knew there was a movement of people wanting to see jedi removed from Star Wars, lol.

I'm curious why he didn't title it, "The Final Jedi," or "The Last of the Jedi," just to dispel with the ambiguity in the title. He seems like he really wanted to clear that up by tweeting out his real intention like that.

14. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    We have no proof thats what they are doing. Are people really that quick to jump to conclusions over a clearly joking tweet?

15. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    It is a fair comment. I would expect them to fill out the storytelling somehow with Luke's first attempts to bring back the Jedi

16. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015

Like I said, I'm curious to see how it plays out. Of course I take it as proof of nothing, with zero context.

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    You know that Luke could very much be alive and instrumental in the evolution from "Jedi" to the new title that is akin to "new Jedi", right? This doesn't have to mean he dies.

18. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    at least 2 things are confirmed now, Luke dies in VIII and the Jedi will die with him. Ok, that's the February 2015 moment for me now, when cameo Luke was rumored. Need to think seriously about it now what I will do in December 2017. [face_plain]

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  19. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    It's a fair interpretation, and while RJ may be joking, he may not be at all. You don't know that.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    None of that is confirmed.

21. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001

Correct!

I think the artificial construct of light and dark will go away. Those that evolve into the new generation of balance force users will be neither Jedi nor Sith. It's like what Chirut said in R1: I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me.

His mantra had nothing to do with eschewing the dark and clinging to the light: He was one with all of the Force, light, dark and everything in between

Neither the Jedi nor the Sith have been self-sustaining. Both lines seem to spark then fade, collapsing for a variety of reasons. What if Light cannot fully thrive without the Dark. Balance is what is needed.

There's a reason the storygroup labeled Ben Solo as born equally of light and dark. I suspect Rey is the same as well as we saw her fight back the temptation of the dark to strike Kylo down and kill him. The next generation of users will be about tempering the dark with the light..

22. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i can't come to a conclusion one way or another if luke will die in the movie.

also really the final jedi can be plural just like the last jedi. safalfj

23. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    Its pretty obvious from the context.

And people wonder why Pablo picks on Star Wars fans for over analyzing every word someone involved with the movies says.

Jim Ryalto likes this.
  24. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Exactly. I think RJ may well be being up front - but even so, I don't think it means Luke has to die, and while there would be no more Jedi after him, I see them progressing to be something else, born from the Light and possibly the dark. They'll still use sabers, still use the Force, but their philosophy would be different. That's all. Or, yes, he is joking. But I still think the above is possibility even if he is joking.

I disagree it's that obvious. He can be messing by throwing something like that flippantly out there as well. It's not overanalysing if you take valid interpretation of the director's words.

25. Dory Vader

Dory Vader Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 15, 2015
    Final is a synonym for last. That is all he is saying.

26. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Before we all assume crash positions, let me quote the excerpt from the Journal of the Whills as cited at the beginning of the TFA novelization:

First comes the day
    Then comes the night.
    After the darkness
    Shines through the light.
    The difference, they say,
    Is only made right
    By the resolving of gray
    Through refined Jedi sight

Relax, people. The Jedi aren't going anywhere. The are evolving into something new. Something more refined.

That means Luke doesn't have to die (and for that matter neither do Kylo or Rey.)

It just means that there is likely some information that will resolve the imbalances in the Force and give way to something more stable.

And wow, is Lucas (or Foster) a really crappy fifth grade style poet.

27. Master Hamahiga

Master Hamahiga Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I agree completely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.