main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Even More Magniloquent New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by A Chorus of Disapproval , Dec 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuiJohn

QuiJohn Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jul 16, 2000
    Apparently, TLJ footage has been shown at the Disney shareholders meeting today.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  2. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    All shareholders?:) Opening up etrade right now.

3. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Any shareholders around to share?

4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I'm a shareholder ....But i didn't get to go.

But this guy did https://twitter.com/DanielNMiller

5. nonesuch

nonesuch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2015
    Finally, we have our first legit reports on TLJ footage! This is from Daniel Miller who's a reporter for the LA Times, so I reckon this is reliable:

"Star Wars: The Last Jedi" clip is being screened. But it's a joke, sort of! We just got a few seconds of Rey handing Luke a lightsaber.

We just saw more "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" footage. In it, Luke asks Rey, "Who are you?" Then we see her deftly handle a lightsaber.

Also making appearances in "The Last Jedi" footage: Chewbacca, General Leia Organa and Finn.

One last thing on the "Last Jedi" footage: We saw all sorts of settings -- mountains, oceans, forests, deserts. Look suitably epic, exotic.

More on "The Last Jedi" clip: We saw a shot of an X-wing wobbling mid-air, under attack inside a giant ship. Looked like a wounded bird.

https://twitter.com/DanielNMiller/with_replies

6. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    Showed Luke asking Rey "Who are you?" and then taking the saber. Clip was played as something as a joke tease.

Then the footage showed Chewie, Finn, Leia. Mountains, oceans, forests, deserts. And an X-Wing under attack by a giant ship.

Again, Luke didn't recognize Rey. So no "MY BABY GIRL!"

7. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    "Who are you?"

She is the girl who holded your lightsaber for 2 years

8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    That all sounds awesome. Now I want to see it!

9. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    the random scavenger girl your own sister did sent you, because she didn't care to see her own brother. [face_sigh]

10. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
  11. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001

And we care what David Erlich says exactly why?

Also, I'm too lazy to google him, who is David Erlich (obviously this is me paralyzed by my lack of caring who he is.)

12. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    Wonder if he said it like Maz or Kylo. She's got to be wondering why everyone is asking her that question.

13. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
  14. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I been saying it nearly a year and half now, the Rey Skywalker, Rey Solo AND Rey Kenobi crowd is going to be honked off when they see TLJ.

That said, he easily could been asking that question to someone else. I be shocked that Lucasfilm would that can of worms out in a teaser trailer that basically Luke is admitting he doesn't know who Rey is whether it be his daughter, niece, etc.

Jcuk likes this.
  15. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    I love Baby Girl jokes but please tell me that nobody really expected TLJ teaser/trailer to end like this trailer:

Right?

16. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Thats too stupid at all. I guess they filmed the final scene in TFA 1.138 times to have Rey and Luke having the perfect expression in their face. For what?
    Who are you?
    [​IMG]

I don't get it

[​IMG]

11-4D and Birkendoc like this.
  17. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    Birkendoc maybe he is joking. I don't know lol

18. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    why? you mean we get a random girl whose story does not mean anything in the Skywalker story? So why the mystery? They could have avoided disappointing the majority of fans. [face_dunno]

ChildOfWinds and Baron_Papanerd like this.
  19. Darth Imbecillis

Darth Imbecillis Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016
    Jedi Jessy likes this.
  20. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I agree with this. I think too much has been made of the Jedi "failure"; even the best run order could've fallen victim to a brilliant, Machiavellian plot master like Palpatine.

Was the order perfect? Of course not. But that institution stood strong for at least 1,000 years. And even when it fell they were able to quickly make plans to set up a new hope born from the very evil that helped bring them down. That is the epitome of success.

They were wrong about the effectiveness of attachment; it was Luke's attachments to his loved ones that ultimately helped him turn his father back to the Light. As Yoda said, they'd become arrogant. But I never saw Yoda, Obi Wan, Mace, Qui-Gon as out of touch with their own dark potential; the Jedi were never presented as being oblivious to temptation, or out of touch with their own inner selves. Quite the opposite actually. I do think George largely failed to present the Jedi as essentially human as he could have however.

I'd like to see the series evolve in a different direction personally. See the Force expanded, along with it's practitioners. I love the idea of Maz being a Force user, but not an adherent to an organized order. It's fascinating to me the notion that Rey, and possibly Kylo, could get to be a new generation who move beyond the older perimeters of Jedi vs Sith and forge new relationships with the expression of their Force powers, break new philosophical ground. To see more conflicted, human Force users.

But none of my personal desire roots from thinking the old Jedi Order was some massive failure.

starocean90 likes this.
  21. Dory Vader

Dory Vader Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 15, 2015
    "Who are you" can be from Luke to someone else later in the film and put in that place to "tease" us further. We will have to wait to see the trailer and the movie to know for sure. Heck it may even be recycled from another film or recorded just for that event. Or maybe it is Maz's "who are you?"from TFA and this guy just didnt recognize it. We have to wait for trailer and more info before jumping the gun.

starocean90 and nightangel like this.
  22. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i think that people read things into their expressions to show a father-daughter reunion, because i actually saw a lot of stuff...

also i would add that even if luke is rey's father, and even if he also knows this, it is perfectly reasonable for him to ask "who are you?" because he doesn't know who she believes herself to be. your identity is about who you are as a person, and your name is really the least important thing (it's only important in that it becomes the representation of who you are as a person). though actually he would probably need to know what to call her too lol.

the question "who are you?" is actually a very deep question. who do you believe you are? it's not that different really from when yoda asked luke why he must become a jedi.

beyond this, you can bet that *rey* doesn't think luke is her father. so why would luke (even if he is, and knows he is) start off with "rey i am your father" ???

i never thought the movie would start with that.

General_Leia_Organa likes this.
  23. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
  24. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Yoda pretended not to be Yoda when Luke found him.

Birkendoc likes this.
  25. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    Sounds like he's poking fun at Iger praising the movie as if he would say anything else. Hence "second act drags" and "hated Adam driver's line delivery". Stuff that they never say. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.